Author Topic: Luciano Berio (1925-2003)  (Read 23296 times)

Offline GioCar

Re: Luciano Berio (1925-2003)
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »

I do have the Amadeus Berio CD, recorded live in Madrid  (in a concert I could not get tickets for  :( ):

I've been a subscriber to that magazine for a certain period of time but I missed that CD... :(

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2019, 03:07:11 PM »
Bump for a great composer. He has written some great pieces; I really like Points on the Curve to Find..., the Sequenzas (I've only heard a few of em), and Différences, a wild electroacoustic chamber piece. Still haven't heard all of the famous Sinfonia, and I assume that is the next step. Is the original recording with the Swingle Singers still a safe bet? That is the one I'm most interested in.

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2019, 11:08:15 PM »
Bump for a great composer. He has written some great pieces; I really like Points on the Curve to Find..., the Sequenzas (I've only heard a few of em), and Différences, a wild electroacoustic chamber piece. Still haven't heard all of the famous Sinfonia, and I assume that is the next step. Is the original recording with the Swingle Singers still a safe bet? That is the one I'm most interested in.

That recording of the wonderful Sinfonia is of course of great historical importance, and certainly a “safe bet”, but....there’s a caveat, and a big one at that: the recording was made immediately after the world premiere in 1968, and the piece wasn’t quite complete at the time. Berio only added the 5th movement later, in 1969, and thus it does not appear in this version. So, I’d say your better off with later recordings (e.g. the Boulez, the Eötvös—perhaps my favourite—, the Chailly...)

There’s another live recording of the (complete) Sinfonia under the composer, live with the Concertgebouw Orchestra and the Swingle Singers (from 1997), but AFAIK it’s only available in one of that orchestra’s “Anyhology” sets (No. 6, 14 CDs), and it costs a small fortune these days (I was lucky enough to buy it dirt cheap as a cut-out some years ago in Brussels):

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:23:06 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et tandis que nous roulerons, à pleins poumons nous chanterons: 'Muguet! Muguet! Joli muguet, par toi l'on reprend confiance' »

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2019, 02:16:16 AM »
Chailly it is then... I'll look out for it.

I believe it's also included in the big Boulez Erato box, which I may get my hands on eventually... so maybe I'll hold out for that one. I have a little bit of Berio already to work through until then.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »
That recording of the wonderful Sinfonia is of course of great historical importance, and certainly a “safe bet”, but....there’s a caveat, and a big one at that: the recording was made immediately after the world premiere in 1968, and the piece wasn’t quite complete at the time. Berio only added the 5th movement later, in 1969, and thus it does not appear in this version. So, I’d say your better off with later recordings (e.g. the Boulez, the Eötvös—perhaps my favourite—, the Chailly...)

There’s another live recording of the (complete) Sinfonia under the composer, live with the Concertgebouw Orchestra and the Swingle Singers (from 1997), but AFAIK it’s only available in one of that orchestra’s “Anyhology” sets (No. 6, 14 CDs), and it costs a small fortune these days (I was lucky enough to buy it dirt cheap as a cut-out some years ago in Brussels):

Just echoing these comments. I am also a big fan of the Chailly studio recording, with the vocal group, Electric Phoenix.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY