Author Topic: Ernst von Dohnányi (1877-1960)  (Read 29734 times)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Ernst von Dohnányi (1877-1960)
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2021, 06:54:00 PM »
You're making me want to relisten to those works! According to my notes, the Violin Concerto No. 1 was more enjoyable, but the others didn't hold my attention. I'll need to refresh my memory with the concertos then, including the Suite in F sharp minor.

If you aren't "blown away" by the VC no. 2, I'll eat my hat! ;) I find it a more individual and succinct work overall than the first one.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2021, 11:59:36 AM »
If you aren't "blown away" by the VC no. 2, I'll eat my hat! ;) I find it a more individual and succinct work overall than the first one.

So, be prepared to taste it very well.  :laugh:

I'm kidding. I'm gonna give it a listen today later or tomorrow.
«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2021, 02:17:38 PM »
Well, today relistened to his VC 2, but alas, I remain unconvinced. I didn't feel anything particularly distinctive. In some aspects it's a sober piece. The movements with more appeal to me were III and IV. It's not a bad piece by any means, just that I don't find it interesting. His symphonies and most of his chamber music are much more of my taste without doubts.
«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2021, 06:51:19 PM »
Well, today relistened to his VC 2, but alas, I remain unconvinced. I didn't feel anything particularly distinctive. In some aspects it's a sober piece. The movements with more appeal to me were III and IV. It's not a bad piece by any means, just that I don't find it interesting. His symphonies and most of his chamber music are much more of my taste without doubts.

I’m certainly inclined to agree, Cesar, but, honestly, I haven’t heard any work from Dohnányi that hasn’t too interesting or worth revisiting. In fact, I found a lot of the music just plain dull.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2021, 06:34:00 AM »

It’s always interesting to see where our opinions diverge! ;) To my ears, the work is the very opposite of “sober” - very colorful and with a character all its own.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff