Analyze This!: snyprrr's Composition Page

Started by snyprrr, December 03, 2010, 09:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on August 24, 2012, 08:19:44 AM
I am tantalizingly close to spackling together the entire first 'Part' of the guitar piece, ready for criticisms and suggestions. I imagine all this lasting about 6 minutes!, which really seems like quite something to me. 6 minutes, woo hoo!! That does put us on pace for about a 10 minute piece.

Of course, now, I'm starting to get the 'what is this shit?' voices, but I know to ignore them and just trudge forward. So WHAT if it's 'shit'? I like to think I have some objectivity, and I do think this piece is 'different' and I think people will read the music and be interested in it. It certainly is a monster pain to play (I can't play it for people), so, I wonder if that will attract or repel.

Three weeks later and now I'm even closer. Progress progress,... every day, either a new note, or something moved, or crossed out, or something, every day moving, haha, forward!

I have just, hopefully a handful more chords in the final passage, which admittedly I'm lingering over, and then the entire first 4-6 minutes (all of the Part One (out of two)) will be ready for a run through. I have been literally hovering over and working on this piece for three years now, wow. :(

For those of us who have never accomplished anything... oh, nevermind ::),... good night ;)

snyprrr

Technically, I've finished the underlying architecture of 'Part One' (out of two). IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S GOING TO BE ABOUT 14 PAGES OF (WHHOPS) non-dense note writing, which should probably fit into about 8-9 Pages.

I'm currently writing out the whole 'Part One' again, as a working copy, so I can send out some copies to get feedback. Deciphering some of... actually, my handwriting isn't as bad as it could be. I do strive for clarity if only for my own peace of mind.

It's taken 3 years to get here, and I still have all of 'Part Two' left, though I'm hoping that it will go quick: I've had three years to think about this 'toccata'.

10% inspiration, 90% perspiration

snyprrr

So, I've sent out a couple of copies of the Basic First Draft of 'Part 1' (out of two) of 'TEKh' ('h' caps to be dealt with later, haha). Since then, just the juices from sending the packets out has caused me to overview the 14 Pages, and by now, I am working on a somewhat Second Draft (though, the underlying blueprint is pretty well the First Draft).

I'm proud of the work done in the last week, though I'm putting the acid test on everything. It's amazing how much 'overlay' one can put on top of the underlying architecture, and it still sound just like the original conception.

I'm afraid my two guinea pigs will find a bramble of notes. There are chords that have 'Eb's and 'Fb's and 'B#'s and such, but, it is all in the name of clarity for the chord at hand. I really should have made a chord fingering diagram, but didn't have the time as yet. I looked at some of the chords after I had forgotten then, and I thought I had made a mistake: it took me a while to remember the torturous fingering. I'll leave it to my friends to judge, but I find this piece brutal on my hands, and I surely don't want to be the one playing it, oh noes! I certainly wrote it as a guitarist wanting to push push push a fine guitarist into a particular world or exertion for pleasure.

I don't believe in ungrateful virtuosity. I certainly want dividends for my hard work. If my friends master the piece too easily, have I then failed? But, I think the piece offers unique challenges,... I mean, ANYTHING can be hard if it's played fast enough, right? So, 'difficulty' and 'complexity' aren't necessarily the reason for being here, though, I am hoping, that there is enough meat here to interest the fellows. Love me or hate me, but don't ignore me, right?

So, I am also quite curious to see how my friends think the piece should proceed from the last note of 'Part 1'. I have now Composed the very ending of the piece (3 Pages) and am working backwards until I get some feedback (take your time guys).

A little voice in my head said I'd never finish the piece, and I certainly hope that that means that I will!! Thanks for your support!

snyprrr

I have now gone through my first bottle of Composers' WhiteOut!! :o ;D 8)

thank you, thank you

North Star

Quote from: snyprrr on October 10, 2012, 09:54:21 AM
I have now gone through my first bottle of Composers' WhiteOut!! :o ;D 8)

thank you, thank you
For some reason, I read that first as WineOut, then WhineOut.  ;D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

I had a meeting with my conductor friend, and we went through some of the guitar piece,... I was banging time with my arms and going "bum bum bum", and he did declare that I WAS 'bum bumming' correctly to what I had written! So, the rhythms right. I'm convinced the notes are right. I may be farther along than hoped in my notating skills, which is the only matter of import right now.

Except for the fact that I have not finished this same piece, this 'Part 1' out of 2. It's in five sections,... oh, I know you all know this! ::) I'm taking a few days away from it to work on some pop covers.

If you forced me to give it to you tonight, I guess I would, just to hear it. The actual notes, I believe, have all been corrected, the rhythms appears to be in working order, and the flow is what I planned, so, I'm really at a certain stage. I really want to close the year out with this and finish it so I can get to the 'Part 2', which I have purposely not even thought about.

aye :(

snyprrr

Starmaker

Here is the current chord progression for this slow, cosmic guitar solo I've Composed. It should sound like a Vai/Satriani type slow workout. Please tell me how it hits you,... yes, there is no "resolving", it's supposed to be "cosmic",... somewhat Debussy perhaps?,... please, analyze for me:

1) A major chord with a 2nd

2) G#m7

3) F9/A

X

4) G something

X

5) C#minor/E

X

6) G#minor/E

X or 0

7) F#minor-to-major

X   X
2   2
2   3
4   4
4   4
2   2

8) Ebm7

X
X

9) Emajor

10) uh, forget what it's called

X
X

11) Bbm7

X
X

12) F#9/A

X

13) C#major

X
X

14) Fm7

X
X

Then start over.

So, what do you think? Can you hear a blazing solo over this? mmm?

ibanezmonster

I just played those chords and could have sworn I heard Steve Vai in the other room narrating the legendary tale of how Steve Vai started playing guitar.

snyprrr

Quote from: Greg on August 16, 2015, 05:19:47 PM
I just played those chords and could have sworn I heard Steve Vai in the other room narrating the legendary tale of how Steve Vai started playing guitar.

now, the trick is to come up with some lead lines that take into account all the key changes,... I'm not sure I can tell what key fits into each actual chord,... obviously, it starts in A Major, but then, when you hit the F it could go anywhere...

well, I assume from your answer that I was successful in my endeavor ;)... no "resolving' here, haha... (btw- I knew you'd be the only one to answer, lol!!)- it's all for you Greg, it's all for you Damien,... errr, I mean,....

ibanezmonster

If this helps any, this is what I hear:

1-2: A maj
3: F lydian
4: E harmonic min
5: E maj (C# min)
6: E Lydian (G# min)
7-8: F# maj (G# dorian)
9: F# Mixolydian
10: E Dorian with a sharp 7 (forgot what mode this is)
11: Bb Dorian
12: F# maj
13: C# maj or lydian
14: F min

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

snyprrr

OK, I'm just going to write it out for you...

RIGHT HAND: It's kind of moto perpetuo, like a strumming harp, so, it's just down-and-up 6 5 4 3 2 1 2 3 4 5 6, with perhaps a little 4 3 2 1 2 3 4 thrown in ad lib. It's not quite flamenco, more like a Sciarrino-like fan-like "waving" up-and-down, as fast as possible, and as natural and random as a stream eddy, coming and going streams of thought waters, a backdrop. You will have to have a light touch- the point is to accentuate the guitar's ability to sound more than one sound at a time- in this case, the biggest cascade of voluminous notes as possible, in a free and easy common metre in medium, natural tempo. It is as simple as can be, actually, it just needs to be fast enough to give the "water streams" imagery.

THE PIECE is simply a continuous "stream" of chords. The duration of each chord is up to you, but generally, a fairly even feeling will surely settle in,... I think around 6 "times" (the pattern of strumming), or, 6 to 8, or "4", if that number feels more comfortable. If you like a chord, linger or not; if you don't, you may not skip- but, of course, you may, and/or add chords of your own (please do!). Some of the chords will have durations attached, usually "one time" (meaning, one go around of the strumming)

Each chord should go into the next as invisibly as is humanly possibly. Dynamics aren't specified, but can be creatively employed, if so desired.

THE CHORDS, and how they go from one to the other, is the whole point of the work. I simply wanted to hear one "excellent" chord after another, a string of festooned pearls, an embarrassment of riches! I have either succeeded or failed depending whether you think these chords are worthy, or not. I hope they are. They have all been chosen to keep the prescribed mood going, on and on, always changing but always sounding of the same ethos.

So, before we go any further, do you have your guitar and are you ready to play? Good!

Before we go on, I warn you, I have tried to make this... difficult for you. It is definitely intended for a particular purpose, not least of which may be an answer to the previous piece I was working on, which wasn't very... attractive, perhaps. Here, I have endeavored to communicate more openly, but, with also a tongue in the cheek in terms of difficulty. To play this work properly, virtuosity is indeed required. To merely get through it, one would, I believe, need to at least be proficient. I don't know how one's finger lengths will make a difference, but, you will see that I am trying to make you walk a tight rope.

So.

Have the strumming in mind... here we go:

Salamander Reflections

OR

Tannebabimmenei

(Going left to right, one row at a time)

1X              1X        1X
E       0               2              0               0                0..................0                  8                   0                   1                   0
B       9               0              1               4                0..................0                  0...................0                   1                   0
G       8               0              4               6              10.................10                 5                   6                   1                   0
D       6               2              2               5 to 3         9..................9                  0                   4                   3                   2
A       4               3              0               6                9 to 8...........8 to 7           6...................6                   3                   2
E       0               2              3               0                7                  5                  4...................4                   1                   0

E      0                0...............0                6               0              0..............0               0                0
B      2                6...............6                3               0              0..............0              10             16
G      3                7               0                5             11              8..............8               0              15
D      1                5               7                3             10              7..............7              10             13
A      2                3               5                5               9              6..............6               8              11
E      0                0               6                4               8              9              7               6                0

Well, I haven't gotten far, have I?LOL!! How do you like it so far; where should it go? Those last three chords I just added as I wrote- am I getting lazy, or is it still good?

Karl Henning

Have you considered learning music notation?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 06, 2017, 02:32:35 AM
Have you considered learning music notation?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Why do you hate me?

Karl Henning

The process of learning music notation is much, much less horrific than Julian Assange told you . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on January 05, 2017, 07:08:42 PM
(Going left to right, one row at a time)

1X              1X        1X
E       0               2              0               0                0..................0                  8                   0                   1                   0
B       9               0              1               4                0..................0                  0...................0                   1                   0
G       8               0              4               6              10.................10                 5                   6                   1                   0
D       6               2              2               5 to 3         9..................9                  0                   4                   3                   2
A       4               3              0               6                9 to 8...........8 to 7           6...................6                   3                   2
E       0               2              3               0                7                  5                  4...................4                   1                   0

E      0                0...............0                6               0              0..............0               0                0
B      2                6...............6                3               0              0..............0              10             16
G      3                7               0                5             11              8..............8               0              15
D      1                5               7                3             10              7..............7              10             13
A      2                3               5                5               9              6..............6               8              11
E      0                0               6                4               8              9              7               6                0

Why do you hate us?  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Crudblud

Might help if you cleaned it up a little, e.g.:

E||0-----------------|2-----------------|
B||9-----------------|0-----------------|
G||8-----------------|0-----------------|
D||6-----------------|2-----------------|
A||4-----------------|3-----------------|

You'll want to change the font to courier to achieve the even spacing. There is no common tab sign for the arpeggio, as far as I know, so you would have to specify in the notes.

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 06, 2017, 06:33:27 AM
Why do you hate us?  0:)

WHY IS THIS UNREADABLE TO A GUITARIST?? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Quote from: Crudblud on January 06, 2017, 08:29:29 AM
Might help if you cleaned it up a little, e.g.:

B||9-----------------|0-----------------|
G||8-----------------|0-----------------|
D||6-----------------|2-----------------|
A||4-----------------|3-----------------|

You'll want to change the font to courier to achieve the even spacing. There is no common tab sign for the arpeggio, as far as I know, so you would have to specify in the notes.

pLEASE JUSt play the first three chords and then let me crawl into my hole,... why does eeeverything have to be so complicated ?? (sorry, car's been in the shop for a MONTH... A MONTH,.... and I'm getting a little ... upended)

Woe is me that I didn't plonk all my savings into a WorkStation and Composing Software,  aaaaahhhhhh >:( >:( >:(

... flailing away at writing physical notes on paper.... gggaaaaaaahhhhhhh....

sorry, - but it just seems like brick walls all around me

Is it really that hard to decipher what I wrote?

SOMEONE, PLEASE, just try to play the first three chords... anything....

and Karl, how am I supposed to write music notes on the keyboard on GMG???

I come from the "non writing" quadrant,... we always just showed and taught each other physically, learning ...memory,....

ALL THIS WRITING OF NOTES........ HAVING TO UNDERSTAND WHO TO NOTATE AN ARPEGE,....GAAAHHHH,.....

now I see when they're photographed at their piano with one hand on a note and the other on the pencil,....

There's LOTS of notes,... I don't have the ________ to just sit there and make everything precisely exact..... isn't it 2017.... haven't we progressed to The Common Sense Era yet??

Sorry, losing my mind this morning,..... did I mention the car????

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH :o ??? :o ??? :o ???

wHAT if I passed right now? Wouldn't you all be able to decipher what i wrote above and play it at my funeral?? Really????

I'm Googling "patience" now........

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Crudblud

Quote from: snyprrr on January 10, 2017, 06:42:18 AM
pLEASE JUSt play the first three chords and then let me crawl into my hole,... why does eeeverything have to be so complicated ?? (sorry, car's been in the shop for a MONTH... A MONTH,.... and I'm getting a little ... upended)

I can't even play the first one. My hands are quite small. In any case, surely the tablature format I showed you looks better than isolated columns of numbers that don't even line up properly?