The Most Realistic Sounding Solo Piano Recordings on CD

Started by George, December 07, 2010, 08:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

That's a great list. I know there's a Thread already here we could get stacked on, but I can't find it.

Pollini/Boulez 2/Prokofiev 7
Pogo/Prokofiev 6
Kocsis/Debussy (Ph.)

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Brian

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jay F

Paul Lewis' Beethoven, which allowed me to like this music for the first time.

Roberto

There was an interesting conversation about Pollini's Beethoven. I have it on DGG "Originals" and it is really a very good sounding disc for me. And Pollini's playing is involving, powerful and technically superb. I had it on DGG LP also but when I compared it to the CD release I didn't notice any difference.

snyprrr

MODS, feel free to absorb me into one of these other Threads.

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on December 08, 2010, 06:47:04 AM
I agree with Scarpia regarding different philosophies of piano recording.  Do you want an up-close or more distant recording?  For my money, more distant recordings tend to sound more realistic, but I often prefer an up-close perspective.  Anyway, some recordings, usually of the more distant variety, that sound especially realistic include:

- Christian Zacharias' MDG recordings of Mozart, Schubert, and Scarlatti

- Russell Sherman's recordings of Beethoven (GM Recordings) and Schubert (Albany)

- John O'Conor's Beethoven, Schubert, and Mozart recordings on Telarc

- Robert Silverman's Diabelli Variations (Stereophile) and Mozart (IsoMike), though both have background noise

- Jean Bernard Pommier's Beethoven sonatas, especially the earlier sonatas, on Erato

- Arcadi Volodos' solo recordings of Schubert, Liszt, and the recent Vienna recital

- Gerard Willems' Beethoven (though the Stuart and Sons piano sounds rather different than normal)

- Francine Kay's Debussy Preludes on Audio Ideas

Thanks for this very good list. And it helped me to discover the Francine Kay (and to regret the absence of a Book 2)

Additions welcome
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2022, 01:00:53 AMThanks for this very good list. And it helped me to discover the Francine Kay (and to regret the absence of a Book 2)

Audio Ideas has both books.  Analekta has Book I only. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Thanks.

I've just been listening to a fabulous Preludes Bk 2 from Pollini in concert in Amsterdam in 1974. When Pollini's on form, he's impressive.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

George

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 24, 2022, 02:19:30 AMTTT may have many meanings. Here is a short survey:

https://www.abbreviations.com/TTT

Hi Premont, In internet forums, I have always seen it used as "to the top," another way of saying bump. Like here, in this thread, posted above:

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 11, 2011, 04:13:46 AMTTT

I just thought of a new recording for the thread, Wasowski's Chopin Nocturnes. Gorgeous sound and playing.

Todd

Gianluca Cascioli's digital recordings from the last decade or so all sound amazing.  (His analog Debussy recording does not fall into this category, though it sounds about as good as a contemporary analog recording can.)  His 900 recording focusing on Austrian and German compositions remains perhaps the best sounding piano recording I have heard.

George

Quote from: Todd on November 24, 2022, 07:25:43 AMGianluca Cascioli's digital recordings from the last decade or so all sound amazing.  (His analog Debussy recording does not fall into this category, though it sounds about as good as a contemporary analog recording can.)  His 900 recording focusing on Austrian and German compositions remains perhaps the best sounding piano recording I have heard.

Thanks, Todd!

Mandryka

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on November 25, 2022, 02:45:20 AMhttps://open.spotify.com/album/7jmxIIoH5zCt8iRwGzynjP

Oh yes, that is an awesome sounding recording.  Some other Decca Italy recordings also sound magnificent - eg, some from Maurizio Baglini.

George