The Most Realistic Sounding Solo Piano Recordings on CD

Started by George, December 07, 2010, 08:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: dirkronk on December 08, 2010, 07:36:16 PMHowever, Moravec wasn't the only pianist recorded by Silver: Ruth Laredo's Scriabin complete sonata traversal (on a Baldwin IIRC)...

I have Laredo's set on CD. It IS extremely high-quality-sounding in terms of "realism" (extraordinary, actually). But didn't I read somewhere that Nonesuch could've done an even better job with the transfer, as it failed to live up to the original LP? Or am I remembering that wrong? Either way I haven't heard the original Connoisseur release so I haven't any first-hand knowledge myself.

QuoteI'll let others make suggestions for purely digital recordings. However much more GENERALLY reliable piano solo recordings have became in the mature digital age (the early digit-ridden efforts weren't always kind to the tone), I can't recall many "Wow, that's realistic!" reactions to specific recordings, either. Hence my emphasis on analog recordings here.

The little labels are where it's at these days as far as realism in piano reproduction. The "wow" factor is alive and kicking I assure you! Labels such as Ondine, Dux, Calliope, BMC (Budapest Music Center Records), Naïve, and MDG do such quality work it's hard to imagine the piano enthusiast going wrong. Sometimes of course aural results depend on the producer, which means even among these small labels divergences happen. But so far my impressions have been favorable and I really think if the piano enthusiast looks hard enough the analog "wow" factor is certainly within reach. :)   
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Oldnslow

I have many great sounding piano recordings, including several of those mentioned. However, the best sounding piano recording  I have ever heard is a rather obsure disc called "Grand Piano Masters--Appassionata" by pianist Lilya Zilberstein, by a German company  called K & K (number KuK02), recorded live in a castle in Germany in 2007. It is without doubt the most spectacular sounding piano recording I have heard, and the playing of Beethoven's Op.57 (Op2.,n.2 is also included) is as good as I have  heard, especially when you consider it was a live concert. I doubt the CD is still available, and I got it used (it was expensive). Zilberstein also recorded some Brahms for the same label, presumably at the same concert (KuK01?), but I don't have that CD. Well worth tracking down, both for the sound and the amazing performance by Zilberstein. Jerry Dubins in Fanfare reviewed it, so I snapped it up when I saw it in the used bins.

Oldnslow

Actually, Amazon US does list the Zilberstein recording as still being available new as an import--to the cool tune of $45 (I paid $25 used). Might be available cheaper in Europe.

Scarpia

Was listening to Gilel's Hammerklavier, which I found to be a bit of a let-down, but that's the topic for another thread.  For contrast I popped Pollini's recording in, particularly the second movement.  The performance was far superior, from my point of view, probably my absolute favorite.  This time I am listening to the "Originals" release, previously I had the first CD issue, a full price box set from the 80's.  The sound is not as bad as I remembered it.  I wouldn't say it was outstanding (there are a lot of recordings from the same era which I find more satisfying) but in the new release I'd say it is acceptable.  I have the impression that the low frequency response is not so truncated and the equalization is generally more natural, compared with the older remaster.  This is my general experience with the "Original" remasterings.  Often they seem indistinguishable from the earlier releases, but there have been a few cases where they have reversed low-frequency anemia which seems to have been a holdover from the days of DG LPs. 

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 09, 2010, 01:40:36 PM
Actually, Amazon US does list the Zilberstein recording as still being available new as an import--to the cool tune of $45 (I paid $25 used). Might be available cheaper in Europe.

There was one copy available from Amazon DE for €22 (I just hit the buy button) and a few more from Marketplace sellers. Thanks for the tip.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Oldnslow

Drasko

George

Quote from: Drasko on December 11, 2010, 03:55:16 AM
Gekic's Liszt Transcendental Etudes on JVC.

Yep, those sound great! Great performance, too.  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 10, 2010, 07:47:52 PM
Sarge, please post your reaction to this recording.

I will but it might be awhile. Although Amazon claimed it was in stock (one copy anyway) the order confirmation email estimates a delivery date of 5 to 8 January.  >:(

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

snyprrr

Just an off shoot:

The Malinova sisters on Koch playing Barber/Persichetti,... they even give thanks to Yamaha for some especially nice sounding instruments, which have a very sweet, domestic sound. Anyone?

I have Bernard Roberts playing Hindemith on Nimbus, and I can vouch for the excellence of the sound here. Plus, it's just a great set.

The Aki Takahashi/Xenakis disc on Mode has an unearthly clarity, which I suspect is the 2006 re-mastering (it's that 24/7,... or 96,... conv?).

What about Pogo on DG?

How is the Hyperion Rachmaninov?

I am of the philosophy that there can be only one way to do the perfect piano sound, and do not all of these discs mentioned do that? Sure, slight variations, but always that rich shimmering,... I too remember the Kocsis/Debussy on Philips,...PERFECT! Reference,...PERFECT,...and so on. But, don't they all have exactly the right amount of ambience? And, ambience can either be the perfected inside-the-piano, or the perfected outside-the-piano "style" (a style still needs to have perfect sound to qualify, that's why styles don't matter, IMO).

btw- there seems to be developing a consensus of the Top20.

yes,... I waaas fishing for a poll!!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: snyprrr on December 11, 2010, 08:47:32 PM
What about Pogo on DG?

Variable. Depends on the disc, really. Overall probably best to look elsewhere.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

dirkronk

Velimir's thread asking about Messiaen piano and organ works made me remember one of the most astonishingly lifelike piano albums I've ever owned...again on vinyl: a Vox Box of Messiaen Catalogue d'oiseaux. The pianist was Jocy De Oliveira-Carvalho (I had to look it up on the web...no way could I have remembered otherwise), there were four records rather than the usual three in the Vox Box, and pressing and groove spacing were done well enough to make for utterly outstanding sonics. Not sure who the engineer was. However, at the time I owned it, I wasn't yet ready to appreciate the music...not sure I am today, truth be told...and so I sold it long ago. But Oh! the sound! Truly amazing.

Dirk

George

Dirk - all your great posts about stuff on vinyl almost has me wanting to get a TT.  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on December 16, 2010, 04:13:04 PM
Dirk - all your great posts about stuff on vinyl almost has me wanting to get a TT.  :)

;D

I had wondered about that. Dirk's posts are always illuminating but thinking about it I don't remember you ever mentioning a turntable, George! ;D

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on December 16, 2010, 04:21:52 PM
;D

I had wondered about that. Dirk's posts are always illuminating but thinking about it I don't remember you ever mentioning a turntable, George! ;D

I had one when I was a kid, but the very portable cassettes soon came along and I never looked back.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on December 16, 2010, 04:23:41 PM
I had one when I was a kid, but the very portable cassettes soon came along and I never looked back.

Yep. I remember those days. :)

George

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 09, 2010, 01:34:58 PM
I have many great sounding piano recordings, including several of those mentioned. However, the best sounding piano recording  I have ever heard is a rather obsure disc called "Grand Piano Masters--Appassionata" by pianist Lilya Zilberstein, by a German company  called K & K (number KuK02), recorded live in a castle in Germany in 2007. It is without doubt the most spectacular sounding piano recording I have heard, and the playing of Beethoven's Op.57 (Op2.,n.2 is also included) is as good as I have  heard,

I luckily got a copy of this recently and I am now playing the Appassionata. The piano sound is very nice, if a bit more distant than I prefer. The performance is excellent, especially the finale, which maintains a high level of excitement, while also maintaining a high level of technical precision. My only complaint would be of the opening movement, where I felt like she was holding back a bit too much. 

snyprrr

The one with all the Super ear candy.

Mandryka

Lewenthal  Liszt Alkan

Ogdon Liszt

Rachmaninov/Zenph, Rachmaninov

Cherkassy  Godowsky/Albeniz, Sindling, Moszkowsky, Paderewski, Rebikov

"Joyce Hatto" Vignt Regards

Orozco Chopin Scherzos

Pollini Boulez Prokofiev

Arrau Beethoven Brahms

Volume 46, Carnegie Hall, 1966, L'isle joyeuse, Scriabin10

Tureck, Great Pianists recordings of the Bach Partitas and Goldbergs

Richter, Une Barque Sur L'ocean

Michelkangeli Chopin Turin 1962

Michelangeli Debussy Scarlatti

Sokolov Chopin Op 25

Sokolov Beethoven Op120

Muraro Tombeau

Cziffra Liszt

Cziffra Chopin Polonaise and Hungarian Rhapsodie

Kempff D946 (Schubert)

Kempff Brahms Sonata

Gilels Symphonic Etudes

Moravec Schumann Brahms

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Pretty much every Moravec studio CD, the Natan Brand sole studio recording, Gilels's DG incomplete set of Beethoven sonatas, Richter's Schubert, The Master 2CD set....

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure