I'll be a clarinet performer soon ;-)

Started by Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich, December 26, 2010, 08:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

As a christmas present, I received a half-year course for an instrument of choice - this will take place in our local music school (I didn't even know it exists). And begin in January. My choice is the clarinet. I like the instrument and my wife played it 20 years ago. So we still have got the Clarinet (wow, she bought it for ~1000$ at that time, which was a lot).

Previous knowledge: Zero :)

I tried it yesterday, and: BIG SUCCESS. I was able to make it emit some shrill noises ;) My goal: One day I want to be able to play an easy melody like in the finale of Sibelius' En Saga.

All in all of course my goal is not to become a musician or a second Karl Henning ;). It's rather about "must one have tried once in his life".

Anyway, looking forward to it.

Opus106

Hope have you a great time learning and playing (and a dedicated YouTube channel ;) ). :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Thanks. Time will tell :) I hope next year I'd at least be able to play some slower clarinet melodies we know from the orchestral literature. I mean, it doesn't have to sound good, but a listener should be able to guess the melody. I hope that is achievable within half a year. Exercises will be once a week one hour (I have to work!) and maybe once a week I'll find 1 or two hours time to practise.
I've got no youtube channels but I'm able to record audio without a problem. Maybe I'll disturb the GMG music beauty with my output one day ;)
According to my wife the more quiet tones are more difficult to play. My cats weren't amused after my first tries!
And I think practising clarinet wouldn't be possible if I had  >:D neighbours in my house.

J.Z. Herrenberg

That's a very original Christmas present! Good luck!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Scarpia

Quote from: Wurstwasser on December 26, 2010, 08:56:19 AM
Thanks. Time will tell :) I hope next year I'd at least be able to play some slower clarinet melodies we know from the orchestral literature. I mean, it doesn't have to sound good, but a listener should be able to guess the melody. I hope that is achievable within half a year. Exercises will be once a week one hour (I have to work!) and maybe once a week I'll find 1 or two hours time to practise.
I've got no youtube channels but I'm able to record audio without a problem. Maybe I'll disturb the GMG music beauty with my output one day ;)
According to my wife the more quiet tones are more difficult to play. My cats weren't amused after my first tries!
And I think practising clarinet wouldn't be possible if I had  >:D neighbours in my house.

From what I gather, by next year you will likely be taking part in a performance of Brian's Gothic Symphony and we'll be listening to it on youtube!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Scarpia on December 26, 2010, 01:13:51 PM
From what I gather, by next year you will likely be taking part in a performance of Brian's Gothic Symphony and we'll be listening to it on youtube!

:)

The 'Gothic' orchestra needs, ideally, 197 players. So Wurstwasser will be welcomed with open arms!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

david johnson

practice like this -

10-15 minutes per day for a month focused on embouchure and tone quality as you learn the notes.  guaranteed success.  then you can adjust your practice as you need.

dj

Quote from: david johnson on December 26, 2010, 10:46:15 PM10-15 minutes per day for a month focused on embouchure and tone quality as you learn the notes.
Thanks for the advice, yes, both seemed to be a central difficulty. Before my first try I thought, it was technically as easy as with a flute. Air in->tone out. I hope no flutist reads that now :) playing flute is probably not that easy. But you know what I mean.

@Scarpia/Jezetha: A good reminder that I still have to listen to Brians First, according to the praises it receives here... Wasn't on my focus and didn't have the time yet.

david johnson

push up a bit hard against your top teeth and keep a tight bottom lip for the reed to rest on.  what strength reed you using?

dj

Quote from: david johnson on December 27, 2010, 11:34:31 PMpush up a bit hard against your top teeth and keep a tight bottom lip for the reed to rest on.  what strength reed you using?
I used a 2.5 at my first try. We also have 1.5 and 2 here.

david johnson

i think the 1.5 and 2 are usually a little soft, but you're a beginner and will break them soon anyway  :)  go ahead and use them up.
the 2.5/3 will  probably give you a better tone.
what is your mouthpiece brand/model?

dj

It's the one delivered with the clarinet. The only information I can find on a middle clarinet part is "Hans Kreul, Tübingen".
We've got an additional glas mouthpiece which my wife bought but rarely used ("too cold"). "Vandoren, Paris. A2".
EDIT: Expensive hobby :) http://www.kreul.de/klarinette/preisliste/Alle/

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jezetha on December 26, 2010, 01:50:03 PM
:)

The 'Gothic' orchestra needs, ideally, 197 players. So Wurstwasser will be welcomed with open arms!

I have it on good authority that it can be done just as well with 195.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

karlhenning

Quote from: Sforzando on December 29, 2010, 06:05:01 AM
I have it on good authority that it can be done just as well with 195.

Corner-cutting!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thank you, gentlemen! : -) Now back to Wurstwasser's clarinet, before he throws his lightning bolts on us.

karlhenning

J.Z. Herrenberg

The thread's on topic again. Almost... Take it from here, W!

MN Dave

You'll be honking and squawking with the best of them. ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: Tapio on December 29, 2010, 02:18:06 AM
It's the one delivered with the clarinet. The only information I can find on a middle clarinet part is "Hans Kreul, Tübingen".
We've got an additional glas mouthpiece which my wife bought but rarely used ("too cold"). "Vandoren, Paris. A2".
EDIT: Expensive hobby :) http://www.kreul.de/klarinette/preisliste/Alle/

My undergrad clarinet teacher had me buy a Borbeck mouthpiece, and I've never looked back. Fantastic tone.