I'll be a clarinet performer soon ;-)

Started by Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich, December 26, 2010, 08:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david johnson

cover the holes with your 'fingerprint' rather than your fingertip.  place the thumb under its rest between the thumb knuckle and tip, not the knuckle and hand.  that will produce a curved finger shape that helps avoid accidental key touches.
the left thumb should approach the thumb hole at a near perpendicular angle.  that helps the finds avoid mis-touches.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Last week (2011-03-10)
A step back because of several sound problems. Sometimes more, sometimes less high pitch background beeping. Treatment of the reed with sandpaper. Also, technique. Lower lip not appropriate. Playing long breathes of c to a up and down. Homework: this.

Today (2011-03-17)
Good. First sheet of music. Some note basics. "Spring Waltz", ranges from a down to h (b?). Reading, deciphering, finding the right fingering, playing. How to write down finger positions. Homework: This. Difficult is e.g. a-f-a. Also, he instructed me when to breathe in this particular song. If possible, I have to use the tongue to stop the airflow after the "|":  cde def | ece d--  but it's difficult, I will see.

--
What really annoys me is, the ~7 year old girl, who started at the same day like me, is faster than me.  :o  :'( :'( :'( :'(
I'm planning to reschedule the world career into my next life.

Thanks David Johnson, I'm always reading your helpful comments. I'm holding the right thumb as you say, also covering the holes with the fingerprint. Only the perpendicular angle of the left thumb is difficult. Unnatural. But my teacher always tells me clarinet holding is an unnatural thing. I think, especially the fingers of the right hand need some crippled position in order to close all top holes.

david johnson

not exactly perpendicular, do give your self some comfort.  :D

Szykneij

I'm sure your teacher has this covered, TDS, but I think it's worth mentioning that the clarinet is one of the most finicky instruments to deal with, especially as a beginner. You have at least 17 pads that need to perfectly cover their corresponding holes, and if only one is slightly leaking, you'll get some unwanted squeals.
  Back when I was teaching middle school band, whenever students who normally didn't squeak started having trouble in that area, it invariably meant something on their instrument was out of alignment. Usually, the register key wasn't closing tightly enough. While I'm sure you take care of your instrument much more carefully than the average young teenager (who thinks that cramming his music, lunch money, and math homework into his clarinet case is a good idea), pads can still get worn, keys can become bent, and springs can become weak. These issues can all cause tone-production difficulties unrelated to your playing technique.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

2011-04-01
Spring waltz and Frère Jaque, teacher and me played it as a duet. Special emphasis on some problem parts. For instance, quick change from g (all open) to lower h. Some other technique things, e.g. a->f transition/how to touch the a key.
No lesson this week. At home: The problem parts and gaining security through speed.

Oh yes, a finicky instrument indeed.

2011-04-07
No lesson.

2011-04-07
Played melodies, difficult transitions work better. Still not perfect timing for instance when going from f to g, I often do not remove all fingers from the keys at the exactly same moment. And again, blowing technique. Sound is not clean enough, some nasty side noise... also sometimes a bit too low - it's basically a matter of tension of the lips. I'll have to do some exercises without the clarinet. Also, he gave me sheets for about 15 songs which I can learn at home... Next lesson in 3 weeks due to easter holidays.

Trying to play staccato, basically trying to use the tongue in order to close the hole. Like saying "taa taa" said my teacher. But: Still a disaster. And also spit disaster. The clarinet immediately starts beeping.
In my playing, I have no use for the tongue. Usually it resides in the back of the mouth. If it comes into play, my technique is in complete disorder. Like reading a book while playing football.
I really need to learn this. I realized I cannot play properly when controlling the air flow only with the breathing.

2011-05-12
Today: Use of the tongue for regulating the air flow. Difficult. It works better when not having the mouth piece to deep inside the mouth mouse :), but then I also tend to press and close the reed with no tone at all.
Also my teacher realized I don't clearly finish the tones. First I stop the mouth tension, then I stop the air flow which results in unclean finish... Homework: Tongue and finish.

Scarpia

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 12, 2011, 06:13:32 AM
2011-05-12
Today: Use of the tongue for regulating the air flow. Difficult. It works better when not having the mouth piece to deep inside the mouse, but then I also tend to press and close the reed with no tone at all.
Also my teacher realized I don't clearly finish the tones. First I stop the mouth tension, then I stop the air flow which results in unclean finish... Homework: Tongue and finish.

There has to be a more humane way of playing the clarinet!

karlhenning

No mice will be harmed in next week's k a rl h e nn i ng Ensemble concert!

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 12, 2011, 06:49:11 AMThere has to be a more humane way of playing the clarinet!
I'm glad to see you rat my posting properly ;)

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

eyeresist

Quote from: david johnson on May 26, 2011, 05:35:37 PMwhich is you? :)
No no, both not me.

2011-05-19
- Dotted notes. - played a respective waltz tune directly from sheet, whoohoo, without having learned it before.
2011-05-26
Played our waltz as a duet - technique (I cover wholes at a too high angle and pressed way too hard, very exhausting)

[2011-9-08]
My first lesson after (school) summer holidays, which are now over - and I've had my first lesson. Practised with a few of small etudes (someone graciously sent me a pdf with etudes of increasing difficulty). Good for finger technique and quick reading of the notes.
I'm not learning very often, twice a week, my job is demanding and so is my dog.

It all goes more fluently now, but still technically bad. Playing staccato like tones is still difficult because if I use the tongue for a couple of minutes then it's some problem of spit. Breathing is a case of coincidence. But hey, it's for the fun of it and all getting better by the time. :)

Last lesson we used the last remaining "in between" notes (I mean the .. sharp and flat ones). Currently I'm playing the whole possible range up and down and a piece which has c sharp etc. My range is now from e up to a' sharp major (ais'/b').

Sometimes I just play some german folk songs out of my mind and I was surprised how well it works to find the right note.

karlhenning

Good to follow your progress. Keep it up!

Today and last week: Register change, the use of the upper register i.e. overblowing, fifth... Ugh, technically difficult for me. We play a Haydn melody which has nasty a-upper c changes, also c-h. Is not going very fluently, but developing.
Finger position, position of the left hand, holding the hand in a more relaxed way, this is, what our lessons are about currently.

My initial plan was to be able to play stuff I want to play. But the case of Sibelius En Saga is a difficult one. I know how to play the notes, but En Saga clarinet ending is changing between upper and lower register, still too difficult.
But I can play the English Horn solo from Shostakovich 11 Tocsin movement. Not clean, but it works. :D

Opus106

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on October 20, 2011, 09:15:41 AM
But I can play the English Horn solo from Shostakovich 11 Tocsin movement. Not clean, but it works. :D

Neato!
Regards,
Navneeth