Easier Beethoven for Piano?

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, December 30, 2010, 03:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I've been casting about for some Beethoven piano works to play that challenge but do not overwhelm my modest abilities.

After doing some research, I settled on the Bagatelle in F (Op. 33/3). This is coming along nicely, and has the advantage of being a catchy, fun short piece.

However, I'd like to get some other suggestions.

In particular, can someone give an opinion of Ludwig Van's Op. 49 sonatas? These are supposed to be the easiest LvB sonatas, so I think I might try one of them in the near future. However, listening to 49/2, it sounded pretty hard. Can any LvB sonata be considered easy for a schmoe like me who only started playing the piano as an adult?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Velimir on December 30, 2010, 03:16:39 AM
I've been casting about for some Beethoven piano works to play that challenge but do not overwhelm my modest abilities.

After doing some research, I settled on the Bagatelle in F (Op. 33/3). This is coming along nicely, and has the advantage of being a catchy, fun short piece.

However, I'd like to get some other suggestions.

In particular, can someone give an opinion of Ludwig Van's Op. 49 sonatas? These are supposed to be the easiest LvB sonatas, so I think I might try one of them in the near future. However, listening to 49/2, it sounded pretty hard. Can any LvB sonata be considered easy for a schmoe like me who only started playing the piano as an adult?

The G minor - 49/1 - is definitely easier, but 49/2 should not be out of range, especially the second movement. The slow movement of 79 is very manageable, and there some bagatelles from at least opp. 33 and 119 you can try (but not 126), as well as some early sonatinas from the WoO series. But I can't think of much else offhand from the standard 32. Obviously there are degrees of difficulty, but in general Beethoven is quite challenging for the pianist, and at his worst murderously awkward to play.

Amended to add: try the middle movement from the E major, 14/1. If anything else comes to mind, I'll add it later.

Second update: Add the middle movement of the G major, 14/2. And the first two movements of the Moonlight (though definitely not the third). I realize I'm giving you almost all pieces in slow or at best moderate tempos, but I doubt we'll find much in rapid tempo that's not fairly demanding.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Thanks for some useful suggestions. I've been looking at the scores of Op. 49 and will probably make one of those my "piano resolution" for the upcoming year.  :)

PaulSC

Quote from: Sforzando on December 30, 2010, 04:04:37 AM
I realize I'm giving you almost all pieces in slow or at best moderate tempos, but I doubt we'll find much in rapid tempo that's not fairly demanding.
Finale of Op. 79 possibly...

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: PaulSC on December 30, 2010, 11:14:23 AM
Finale of Op. 79 possibly...

Possibly. But the C major interlude could give trouble, especially the passages in broken arpeggios for the right hand, and the sixteenths against triplets. Nonetheless, it's probably within range if V. does a bit of practicing. But definitely not the first movement of 79.

Holden

Both the Op 49s should be well within your range if you are of about Grade 4 standard. Can I also suggest:

Ecossaise WoO86

Any of the WoO47 sonatas - I particularly like the F minor which sounds harder than it is.

You could also try the slow movements from any of these sonatas.

Op 2/3, Op 7, Op 10/2, Op 10/3, Op 13, Op 14/1, Op 14/2 (try the whole thing, it's not much harder than Op 49), Op 26 (Funeral March), Op 27/2, Op 28, Op 53, Op 57.
Cheers

Holden

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Holden on December 30, 2010, 02:04:41 PM
Both the Op 49s should be well within your range if you are of about Grade 4 standard. Can I also suggest:

Ecossaise WoO86

Any of the WoO47 sonatas - I particularly like the F minor which sounds harder than it is.

You could also try the slow movements from any of these sonatas.

Op 2/3, Op 7, Op 10/2, Op 10/3, Op 13, Op 14/1, Op 14/2 (try the whole thing, it's not much harder than Op 49), Op 26 (Funeral March), Op 27/2, Op 28, Op 53, Op 57.

Mostly good choices too, though in general more advanced than 49 - which is the level V. is claiming for himself. I would disagree on 28 and the last variation from 57, both of which contain a lot of rapid passagework. I would not agree with all of 14/2 either - maybe the finale if he practices the scale passages, but the first has scales in thirds, rapid passagework, 2 against 3, and a development section that calls for considerable stamina including hand-crossings.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Update

I can now play through the Bagatelle in G Minor, Op. 119/1. Really nice piece  :)

I was just looking at the score of the Rondo in C Major, Op. 51/1. Nobody mentioned this one above, but it looks doable to me. Any opinions on this piece? Anyone played it?

Holden

Quote from: Velimir on May 25, 2011, 12:40:17 AM
Update

I can now play through the Bagatelle in G Minor, Op. 119/1. Really nice piece  :)

I was just looking at the score of the Rondo in C Major, Op. 51/1. Nobody mentioned this one above, but it looks doable to me. Any opinions on this piece? Anyone played it?

Lovely piece, if you can play the bagatelle then you should be able to master the Rondo
Cheers

Holden

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Holden on May 25, 2011, 12:56:03 AM
Lovely piece, if you can play the bagatelle then you should be able to master the Rondo

More or less, but you have to carefully work out the fingering for the chromatic scales.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Easy?

I've been working on Op. 49/2. Who says this piece is "easy"? There are some really tricky bits, right off the bat.

However, I can now get thru the 1st mvt. exposition. I think I'll solidify my grasp of that before I move on.

Looking ahead, the 2nd mvt. does look slightly easier.

StephenC

Quote from: Velimir on May 25, 2011, 12:40:17 AM
Update

I can now play the piano through the Bagatelle in G Minor, Op. 119/1. Really nice piece  :)

That's a beautiful piece. And it's quite doable, haven't tried to actually play it. C major effort is by far the most known of the two in the Op. 51 set and the most widely performed of all his rondos. Have tried to play "Fur Elise" And The Sonata In G, Op.79?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I haven't seriously tackled the Rondo yet. I want to get the Sonata under my belt before attempting a new piece.

I've avoided "Für Elise" because it's such a piano-student cliche.

Holden

Quote from: Velimir on September 29, 2011, 01:43:50 AM
I haven't seriously tackled the Rondo yet. I want to get the Sonata under my belt before attempting a new piece.

I've avoided "Für Elise" because it's such a piano-student cliche.

Try it, as it has a number of easy technical issues that are worth investigating - mainly for the left hand. The LH arpeggios in the first section make you extend beyond a simple hand stretch and the repeated triplet notes in the second section show you how the fingers (4, 3, 2 repeated) can be used to achieve either a staccato or legato approach.
Cheers

Holden

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Holden on September 29, 2011, 02:05:59 AM
Try it,

Holden - by "it" are you referring to the Rondo or to "Für Elise"?

Holden

Quote from: Velimir on September 29, 2011, 02:16:16 AM
Holden - by "it" are you referring to the Rondo or to "Für Elise"?

Sorry, Fur Elise.

Another thing you might like to trey is playing the first section without the sustain section as a way of improving your legato playing.
Cheers

Holden