Author Topic: Rodion Shchedrin (b. 1932)  (Read 9055 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: Rodion Shchedrin (b. 1932)
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »
Thankfully, no one wins in this but the music itself and as long as you’re listening, then this is all that matters at the end of the day. 8)

I couldn't disagree with this.  0:)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2020, 10:25:58 AM »
Copied over from the WAYLTN thread:
'Stihira' by Shchedrin.
'Hymn for the Millenary of the Christianisation of Russia'.
A marvellous work and my favourite composition of his apart from the 1st Symphony. It is very Russian Orthodox sounding (it is largely orchestral although the theme is initially hummed by the male cellists) and should appeal to admirers of Hovhaness and Mussorgsky's 'Boris Godunov' (Coronation Scene). It is bizarrely coupled with violin concertos by Glazunov and Prokofiev but the link must be Rostropovich for whom it was written. Much use of chimes and gongs. It lasts 22 mins:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, J.S. Bach. Sex Pistols
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2020, 11:03:34 AM »
In March I heard that Ms. Mutter was infected with Covid-19. I hope she is getting better now.

Copied over from the WAYLTN thread:
'Stihira' by Shchedrin.
'Hymn for the Millenary of the Christianisation of Russia'.
A marvellous work and my favourite composition of his apart from the 1st Symphony. It is very Russian Orthodox sounding (it is largely orchestral although the theme is initially hummed by the male cellists) and should appeal to admirers of Hovhaness and Mussorgsky's 'Boris Godunov' (Coronation Scene). It is bizarrely coupled with violin concertos by Glazunov and Prokofiev but the link must be Rostropovich for whom it was written. Much use of chimes and gongs. It lasts 22 mins:

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2020, 11:13:38 AM »
In March I heard that Ms. Mutter was infected with Covid-19. I hope she is getting better now.
Me too. She looks very young on the cover image.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).