Aaron Copland: A Complete Survey (or as damned near complete as you could hope!)

Started by Benji, November 05, 2010, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Apollon on April 12, 2011, 07:41:12 AM
If they've got the Slatkin/St Louis recording of Rodeo, that includes a "barrel-house piano" interlude in Rodeo that you hardly hear otherwise.

Michael Tilson Thomas & SFSO for Appalachian Spring (complete) & Billy the Kid

Doráti & Detroit for the Fanfare & El salón México

These are all good recommendations. Peronally, I think Bernstein is tops in Rodeo, El Salon, and Billy the Kid. He brings the character and flavor of the piece through with more pizzazz for me. I've never been able to shake his interpretations on these three pieces. Appalachin Spring with Tilson Thomas is excellent too. There is also a piece called Danzon Cubano (also short) you might consider- another version I like conducted by Bernstein.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Palmetto

If anyone cares, I opted for the Bernstein.  It has the advantage of offering movements as separate .MP3 files, instead of each work as an undivided file as the Thomas/SF and Mata/Dallas do.  The Kunzel was only available as a CD, not downloadable.  I realize these aren't very artistic criteria but at this stage of my exploration, easily repeating movements has been very useful.

I'll cherry-pick El Salon as an individual non-album download later.  Thanks for the help.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Palmetto on April 12, 2011, 03:48:33 PM
If anyone cares, I opted for the Bernstein.  It has the advantage of offering movements as separate .MP3 files, instead of each work as an undivided file as the Thomas/SF and Mata/Dallas do.  The Kunzel was only available as a CD, not downloadable.  I realize these aren't very artistic criteria but at this stage of my exploration, easily repeating movements has been very useful.

I'll cherry-pick El Salon as an individual non-album download later.  Thanks for the help.

Please stop changing the title of the thread each time you respond to somebody. This is more annoying than one of James' pfff comments.

DavidW

Palmetto I think you chose well, that Bernstein recording is sweet! :)

Maciek

$:)

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2011, 03:55:21 PM
Please stop changing the title of the thread each time you respond to somebody. This is more annoying than one of James' pfff comments.

Palmetto, bear in mind that the above is Mirror Image's personal opinion/reaction, and not a reflection of the forum rules. While it isn't the standard method of posting on this forum, you are certainly allowed to change the subject line of your posts. (How others may react to that is another matter, but this thread is not the place to discuss such issues anyway.)

chasmaniac

Where did all the Copland go? I've just ordered some and wouldn't mind reading about it.

Bring it back, bring it back
Please bring it back home to me
Because you don't know...
What it means to me
(Freddie Mercury) :)
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

chasmaniac

If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217