If you could conduct for one night

Started by Brian, January 03, 2011, 07:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Quote from: mszczuj on August 05, 2011, 07:31:06 AM
His symphonies are only  played like so. But it is castration of their spiritual values. In my humble opinon, of course.
Could you link an example (performance) about what his symphonies are originally? What are their original spiritual values?

Mirror Image

An All French Night (Part I):

Koechlin: Vers la Voute ètoilèe
Milhaud: La création du monde

-Intermission-

d'Indy: Symphonie sur un chant montagnard français (soloist: Alexandre Tharaud)

Encore:

Debussy: Children's Corner (orchestrated by A. Caplet)

Myself conducting the Orchestre National de France

Mirror Image

Latin American Night!

Revueltas: Itinerarios
Estevez: Mediodía en el Llano
Castillo: Xibalba

-Intermission-

Villa-Lobos: Symphony No. 6

Encore:

Guarnieri: Trés Dansas para Orquesta

Myself conducting the Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra

techniquest

Program 1:

Shchedrin - Concerto for Orchestra No.1 "Merrie Ditties"
Prokofiev - Scythian Suite

interval

Mahler - Symphony No.4

Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Ronan Parke (treble)

Program 2 (the one I'd really love to do):

Mahler - Symphony No.2 'Resurrection'
with the same forces that were at the Proms last week

prémont

Quote from: mszczuj on August 05, 2011, 07:31:06 AM
His symphonies are only  played like so. But it is castration of their spiritual values. In my humble opinon, of course.

Who is - in your opinion -  the most successful "undramatic" Beethoven symphony interpreter?
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

mszczuj

Quote from: Roberto on August 05, 2011, 08:07:52 AM
Could you link an example (performance) about what his symphonies are originally? What are their original spiritual values?

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 12, 2011, 12:50:41 PM
Who is - in your opinion -  the most successful "undramatic" Beethoven symphony interpreter?

[asin] B0000037CN[/asin]

Or with my favorite Missa Solemnis.

[asin]B0000064AR[/asin]

I will wrote something about it soon.

Mirror Image

An All-American Night!

Barber: Knoxville: Summer of 1915
Copland: Billy the Kid

-Intermission-

Ives: A Symphony: New England Holidays

Encore:

Ruggles: Sun-treader

Soprano: Dawn Upshaw
Myself conducting the Cleveland Orchestra

pymlee

I love to conduct the Berlin Philharmonic in a program of Ralph Vaughan Williams music such as "Serenade to Music".

Herbert von Karajan never played much British music which was a shame.

haziz

Quote from: haziz on August 02, 2011, 03:06:26 AM
It would be pretty conventional for me:

London Symphony Orchestra (I would also consider the Berlin Philharmonic, VPO or closer to home the Boston Symphony Orchestra):

Jennifer Higdon Loco (my one concession to contemporary music)
Sibelius Violin concerto (Znaider or Mutter or Gringolts as soloist)

Intermission

Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique"

I know, boring, and quite similar to the programs being played by the Boston Symphony right now in Tanglewood, but it is what I enjoy.

Well the Second Concert in my magical season with the London Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican:

Elgar: Cockaigne (In London Town), Op. 40
Elgar: Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85 - Maria Kliegel soloist

If given absolute magical powers I would resurrect Jacqueline du Pré (in her prime) for one last performance, but barring that I would invite a German cellist, known to me only as a name from numerous Naxos discs to play this most English of cello works with an English Orchestra in London!!??

Intermission

Kalinnikov: Symphony No. 1

Trying to counteract the undeserved neglect this lovely symphony and composer suffers from.

The program for the rest of my magical season with the LSO will follow slowly in drips and drabs.

eyeresist

Quote from: haziz on August 14, 2011, 03:20:06 PM
Kalinnikov: Symphony No. 1

Trying to counteract the undeserved neglect this lovely symphony and composer suffers from.

*Silly remark about pounding a table*

Brian

The Program of Death

J.M. Kraus | Sinfonia funebre
Mozart | Piano Concerto No 20
<interval>
Liszt | From the Cradle to the Grave
Janacek | Taras Bulba

Alexei Lubimov, piano
David Goode, organ
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

Drasko

Ligeti - Atmospheres
Xenakis - Synaphai
[intermission]
Birtwistle - Earth Dances
Ligeti - Lontano

Maurizio Pollini, Wiener Philharmoniker

madaboutmahler

What a wonderful question!
It is an ambition of mine to be a professional conductor, as well as composer, so I spend a lot of time conducting imaginary orchestras in my bedroom, and a lot of time creating my own programmes, such fun! :)
If I had to just pick only 1 (or 3 ;) ) concerts to conduct and spend my life as a music critic/musicologist/composer then these would be my choices! :)

1)

Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet selections (around 30 minutes worth)
Shostakovich: Violin Concerto 1 (Ibragimova, violinist)
INTERVAL
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe (complete)
Orchestra: Philharmonia (I love the energy of this orchestra)

2)
Strauss: Don Juan
Elgar: Enigma Variations
Interval
Mahler: Symphony 6
Orchestra: Berliner Philharmoniker

3)

An All Elgar Programme!
Elgar: In The South Overture
Elgar: Cello Concerto (Alisa Weilerstein, cello)
Interval
Elgar: Symphony 2
Orchestra: London Symphony Orchestra

I love creating these programmes, and hope that my dream of becoming a conductor (and composer!) becomes reality in the future! :)

Have a nice day everyone!
Best Wishes
Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 30, 2011, 06:16:32 AM

I love creating these programmes, and hope that my dream of becoming a conductor (and composer!) becomes reality in the future! :)

If you persevere with your dream, it will become a reality, Daniel (barring unforeseen circumstances, of course!)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

My fantasy concert will be with my local band, the Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz and take place in Mannheim's Rosengarten.

We will start with

Suppé Light Cavalry Overture

because I'm an old cavalry trooper and because I've never heard the work live. Then we'll play

Mozart Sinfonia Concertante E flat K.364

The soloists will be Mutter and that gorgeous Blonde in the viola section that I've had my eye on for years. I figure giving her the spotlight will not only be rewarding for her but for me  ;D

During the Pause Mutter, the Blonde and I will celebrate our stunningly successful performance privately in my dressing room, and then it's on to

Hans Rott Symphony in E major

I will use my supreme authority as conductor to give the triangle player several coffee breaks during the performance at a café across the street from the Rosengarten. He will be allowed to play three or four times, but no more than three seconds per time, up until the finale's peroration, at which point I'll finally let him loose to wreck havoc on our ears and nerves...just as Rott intended  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 30, 2011, 08:49:40 AM

If you persevere with your dream, it will become a reality, Daniel (barring unforeseen circumstances, of course!)

Thank you, Johan! :)
Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 30, 2011, 09:20:26 AM
Hans Rott Symphony in E major

I will use my supreme authority as conductor to give the triangle player several coffee breaks during the performance at a café across the street from the Rosengarten. He will be allowed to play three or four times, but no more than three seconds per time, up until the finale's peroration, at which point I'll finally let him loose to wreck havoc on our ears and nerves...just as Rott intended  8)

Sarge

haha ;) I have not heard the symphony, so am just guessing that there is a very long, tiring triangle part?! ;) As a keen orchestral percussionist myself, I wouldn't mind trying it sometime! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 30, 2011, 09:36:39 AM

haha ;) I have not heard the symphony, so am just guessing that there is a very long, tiring triangle part?! ;) As a keen orchestral percussionist myself, I wouldn't mind trying it sometime! :)

You don't know the Rott symphony? If you truly are mad about Mahler you have to hear it. Mahler and Rott were students together. You can hear Rott's influence on Mahler's music, especially in the Scherzo. Rott was quite promising but unfortunately mentally unstable. He had a complete breakdown after Brahms rejected his music. He died young in a mental institution. The triangle part really is too much though--some judicious snipping would improve things, and I'm fully prepared to implement the cuts :D

Sarge

DavidW

Quote from: Drasko on August 27, 2011, 12:53:36 PM
Ligeti - Atmospheres
Xenakis - Synaphai
[intermission]
Birtwistle - Earth Dances
Ligeti - Lontano

Maurizio Pollini, Wiener Philharmoniker

I would go to that concert!  Great program. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 30, 2011, 09:20:26 AM

Mozart Sinfonia Concertante E flat K.364

The soloists will be Mutter and that gorgeous Blonde in the viola section that I've had my eye on for years. I figure giving her the spotlight will not only be rewarding for her but for me  ;D

During the Pause Mutter, the Blonde and I will celebrate our stunningly successful performance privately in my dressing room, and then it's on to

First - no BRIAN?!?

Second - why does the word VILF enter my head?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 30, 2011, 10:00:08 AM

First - no BRIAN?

I'm old...three works (plus the celebratory Pause which will take a lot out of me  ;D ) is all I can get up for nowadays. I suppose I could substitute one of Havergal's overtures for the Light Cavalry. But I love that old warhorse.

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 30, 2011, 10:00:08 AM
Second - why does the word VILF enter my head?

;D :D ;D

Sarge