Massenet's Maelstrom

Started by Moonfish, May 14, 2018, 11:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 01, 2023, 10:33:36 AMI have not heard a note of Massenet. I saw a complete recording of Thaïs on Decca at the record store the other day and thought about getting it but didn't. What else is good?

In the first act Thais is a libertine and sensualist. Then she gets religion and it gets really boring.  >:D
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

ritter

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on July 01, 2023, 10:30:32 AMOnly one page for Massenet?! Quel horreur!! :o Seriously though, this guy deserves to be remembered for so much more than just the Meditation from Thaïs. The other day I was re-listening to his Piano Concerto in E-flat major (the excellent Ciccolini/Cambreling recording on EMI). Massenet has a reputation as a rather "light and fluffy" composer, but this concerto is actually anything but: heroic and dramatic in the 1st movement, hymn-like and soulful (and surprisingly dramatic at times) in the 2nd, and rip-roaringly Slavic in the incredibly catchy finale, which ends the concerto in C minor! This highly individual concerto really deserves to be played much more often in concert - I can only imagine how much the finale would bring the house down!

+1 for the Piano Concerto, that 3rd movement is something else indeed, but the whole work deserves more attention without a doubt.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

pjme

"Visions" is well worth discovering. 

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,11592.msg1314073.html#msg1314073

And I like this little sentimental gem from Le Cid 

Roasted Swan