Author Topic: Norwegian composers  (Read 20333 times)

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
Re: Norwegian composers
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »
Norwegian composer Ragnar Söderlind (b. 1945) Symphony No.8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr5oA_cyfZk

First was the Kielland, later the Norgard, and now this Söderlind. Wow! Positively impressed. It definitely shares the Kielland depiction of something lugubrious, ghostly, raw and cold but with energy enough. Very Sibelian and Brian-like at times. Thanks for sharing it!

Edit: Finishing... oh God! This is mandatory stuff! Wonderful find!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:58:10 PM by SymphonicAddict »

Offline relm1

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2019, 03:28:43 PM »
First was the Kielland, later the Norgard, and now this Söderlind. Wow! Positively impressed. It definitely shares the Kielland depiction of something lugubrious, ghostly, raw and cold but with energy enough. Very Sibelian and Brian-like at times. Thanks for sharing it!

Edit: Finishing... oh God! This is mandatory stuff! Wonderful find!!

Very glad you enjoyed it.  He's since completed his 9th symphony which is an epic hour long choral symphony and a two hour oratorio I wish could be heard.  Neither has been performed.  >:(

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2019, 10:24:20 PM »
Impressive! Many thanks for posting it (about 25 years ago there was an interview with Söderlind in the Gramophone that made his music look very tempting; the earlier symphonies available at that time didn't fulful that promise IMHO, but this one does!).
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #83 on: Today at 02:23:44 AM »
What a marvellous discovery! Thanks so much for posting it. I totally agree with Cesar and Johan. It gets better and better, in my opinion, as the symphony progresses so that, by the end I was both gripped and moved by it. In fact I had to repeat the last seven minutes as soon as I heard it. Soderlind's 8th Symphony reminded me, in a way, of the Symphony 2 by Vasks, especially those very moving final pages. I have some Soderlind on an old Norwegian composers CD and I must look it out - although I don't remember it making as nearly as much an impression on me as Symphony No.8. I hope that it is released on CD one day as it needs to be heard. Also, what a great tribute to Sibelius!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline relm1

« Reply #84 on: Today at 05:08:05 AM »

Now you guys are making me need to relisten to my recommendation again because I forgot what it sounds like only remembering that I'm a fan of the composer and follow him closely enjoying everything I've heard of his so thanks again for the recommendation, relm1, because now I get to rediscover why I liked it in the first place since I forgot why!

He sounds like a very modest man and I wish he knew his music was appreciated.  He said this:

Hello Relm1, You are the first who have contacted me after I joined Linkedin. I am grateful for your support to my self-confidence. After many years with much resistance to my music here in Norway, I had almost drawn myself back from the public. In spite of this, I have been very productive. I have of course planned my Sinfonia X. But I am now in  short of shorter orchestral pieces  So I plan it to be a one movement symphony of about 20 minutes.

Best wishes, Ragnar

Since that brief exchange, he had completed the hour long 9th symphony.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:11:57 AM by relm1 »

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #85 on: Today at 05:36:10 AM »
Now you guys are making me need to relisten to my recommendation again because I forgot what it sounds like only remembering that I'm a fan of the composer and follow him closely enjoying everything I've heard of his so thanks again for the recommendation, relm1, because now I get to rediscover why I liked it in the first place since I forgot why!

He sounds like a very modest man and I wish he knew his music was appreciated.  He said this:

Hello Relm1, You are the first who have contacted me after I joined Linkedin. I am grateful for your support to my self-confidence. After many years with much resistance to my music here in Norway, I had almost drawn myself back from the public. In spite of this, I have been very productive. I have of course planned my Sinfonia X. But I am now in  short of shorter orchestral pieces  So I plan it to be a one movement symphony of about 20 minutes.

Best wishes, Ragnar

Since that brief exchange, he had completed the hour long 9th symphony.
How nice! He sounds like a very engaging individual.

By the way I had a very nice email exchange with Stale Kleiberg, the composer of the hauntingly atmospheric 'Bell Reef Symphony'.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:40:15 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).