So who made you love the Schumann symphonies?

Started by ajlee, January 09, 2011, 12:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochanaan

Revisited this thread after a lapse.  I have to say that I cannot imagine any better performances than the Sawallisch/Staatskapelle Dresden.  I've only heard them on radio broadcast, but even with the restricted dynamic range typical of radio, everything is intense and just exactly right. ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 09, 2011, 09:20:06 AM

This one put the lie to "Schumann didn't know how to orchestrate" for me. True, he couldn't orchestrate worth a damn for a late 19th century or 20th century orchestra, but he wrote absolutely lovely stuff for the orchestra of HIS time... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
RSO Frankfurt / Hugh Wolff - Antheil Symphony #1 2nd mvmt - Vivo, alla zingaresco, poi 'ragtime'

Same set. I could never rustle up great enthusiasm until this. I don't say that this interpretation puts others in the shade, but this orchestra certainly does.

André

I have yet to listen to the Sawallisch set. It's there on the shelves, though, still shrink-wrapped.

The new erato

The Sawallissch os very fine, but the HIP sound (and superb recording) of Gardiner makes the works really take off.

betterthanfine

How does Bernstein DG compare to his earlier (OOP) NY account?

And has anyone heard the new set by Nezet-Seguin and the COE yet? Could be very interesting!

André

Bernstein's NYPO Schumann is generally preferable to his later, more indulgent self in Vienna. In the first sympony you would think they are totally different conductors.

I wasn't aware NS was pursuing a Schumann cycle. The lad is all over the place these days. Did you try his Mahler DLVDE ?

betterthanfine

I actually just purchased that, haven't had time to give it a spin yet!

The samples of his Schumann sound quite good...

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/DG/4792437

Wanderer

[asin]B000006PKI[/asin][asin]B000001GQ5[/asin]
[asin]B000024UKB[/asin] (OOP, currently available in this set:[asin]B000PKG52C[/asin]

The above are my benchmark recordings.
Other favourite versions include the Sawallisch and Barenboim sets already mentioned, as well as Eschenbach and Armin Jordan.

North Star

Quote from: Wanderer on May 07, 2014, 07:25:54 AM
The above are my benchmark recordings.
Other favourite versions include the Sawallisch and Barenboim sets already mentioned, as well as Eschenbach and Armin Jordan.
I see your affair with Schumann's symphonies is a polygamous one  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Errr, nobody. I don't love them yet!!  Nope nope nope....   
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

I have had the Zinman set for 2½ years, and have the Gardiner in post at present time (and have heard at least a couple of the symphonies from those recordings already ages ago when it was very expensive or OOP). I've also heard Sawallisch's recordings, which I recall preferring to the Zinman. And I've heard nos. 1, 3 & 4 live in Oulu during the past four years. I don't think any conductor/orchestra has really made me suddenly realize I love the music, though.

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 08:44:19 AM
Errr, nobody. I don't love them yet!!  Nope nope nope....   
Which recordings have you heard? Are Sawallisch or Gardiner among them?

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on May 07, 2014, 09:24:57 AM
Which recordings have you heard? Are Sawallisch or Gardiner among them?

Neither. The last cycle I listened to was Szell's acclaimed recordings. They did not bring me "the love", but I should of course return to these works. I tend to gravitate to chamber music when it comes to Schumann.

[asin] B0000029PC[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 09:29:18 AM
Neither. The last cycle I listened to was Szell's acclaimed recordings. They did not bring me "the love", but I should of course return to these works. I tend to gravitate to chamber music when it comes to Schumann.

Just listen to Gardiner's - Schumann didn't write the music for gargantuan post-Mahlerian orchestras, and John-Eliot's band sounds anything but.

https://www.youtube.com/v/pVXt9pO0cpo

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

I have the Schumann box from DG, but have hardly touched it. I like Gardiner a lot, hopefully he'll break my Schumann impasse (I've played the Szell and Bernstein symphonies, among others, but no real love here yet either....)
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 08, 2014, 02:42:11 AM
I have the Schumann box from DG, but have hardly touched it. I like Gardiner a lot, hopefully he'll break my Schumann impasse (I've played the Szell and Bernstein symphonies, among others, but no real love here yet either....)
:) ;)
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: North Star on May 07, 2014, 09:33:50 AM
Just listen to Gardiner's - Schumann didn't write the music for gargantuan post-Mahlerian orchestras, and John-Eliot's band sounds anything but.

Quote from: Moonfish on May 08, 2014, 09:02:46 PM
:) ;)
Is that a novel way to write '+1' to Baklavaboy's post?

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Quote from: North Star on May 08, 2014, 11:30:52 PM
Is that a novel way to write '+1' to Baklavaboy's post?
Also known as giving him a "moonie".

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Ken B

Mookalafalas

OK, listened to Gardiner's Schmann symphonies (1 and 4), and yes, I'm feeling the magic.  Whether it's mostly the playing or the recording, the sound has a lot more color and detail, while also being more charged and exciting. 

Pollini piano--listening right now and very happy.   It seems like the guts of the box are various lieder or other choral pieces. I kept grabbing those, and although they sound nice enough, that's just not what interests me these days, which is why I never really played much from the box....before :)

Thanks for the tips.
It's all good...