The Suggestion Box

Started by Dungeon Master, January 13, 2011, 09:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: admin on January 21, 2011, 12:08:17 PM
Seriously??? Isn't the entire GMG forum a big enough chat box for you?

Or am I a bit out of touch?
Hehehe, it's just cute to see people saying good morning to each other and things in realtime on forums which have the feature. Also, I notice that the forum goes through dead times when tons of people are online, but there isn't really a thread of interest drawing lots of attention, and consequently there is a lul in posting. Presumably all these people online are still clicking around waiting for something super exciting to happen, and I guess that is another point where chatting about junk to fellow GMG addicts would be fun.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

PaulSC

The Amazon asin function for displaying product images works like a charm for CDs, but I've noticed that cover art for digital downloads (mp3s) doesn't display here. When a recording is offered in both formats, this just means you have to copy the asin from the CD rather than the mp3 page. But if the recording is only sold in mp3 format, GMG's asin function can't be used to display it. (You get a working hyperlink, but a blank image.)

Would it be difficult to extend the asin function to work for mp3s as well as CDs?

just to illustrate what I'm talking about...

CD

[asin]B000001QBA[/asin]
result:
[asin]B000001QBA[/asin]

mp3

[asin]B00124HW2W[/asin]
result:
[asin]B00124HW2W[/asin]

Dungeon Master

Yep, the ASIN tag works well for CD's, DVD's and books, and many other "hard" items, but for some reason, Amazon uses a different coding system to display MP3 images. Why? Who knows.

I will look into this and see if I can tweak it.

At worst, what I could do is put an "Image not found" icon in place for those items without an image, but I will explore the Amazon image system and see if I can do better.

cheers
Rob

Daverz

If the CD links to the MP3, I'd just use the ASIN for the CD and let the clicker choose what she wants from there.

PaulSC

Quote from: Daverz on January 31, 2011, 07:01:54 PM
If the CD links to the MP3, I'd just use the ASIN for the CD and let the clicker choose what she wants from there.
Yes, that's good for items available in both formats, as most (but not all) are.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 21, 2011, 05:07:16 AM
And you just thought we were all daft!

Yes, but the two things are not mutually exclusive.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Opus106

Rob, would you consider installing this SMF mod, please?
Regards,
Navneeth

Renfield

Quote from: Opus106 on September 17, 2011, 06:55:43 AM

A lot of us have it mentally installed already! :D

Opus106

Quote from: Renfield on September 17, 2011, 07:01:05 AM
A lot of us have it mentally installed already! :D

I'd like it included at least until I can train myself to rapidly scroll the mouse wheel by telekinesis.
Regards,
Navneeth

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Opus106 on September 17, 2011, 06:55:43 AM

Maybe. Later. Not now.

First priority is to upgrade to version 2.0 of SMF. Big job, requiring crossing of fingers, backup, upgrading a large forum, upgrading the very large database, re-writing existing mods to fit with new version, testing, uncrossing fingers.

Then possibly consider installing new mods.

Opus106

Quote from: Dungeon Master on September 18, 2011, 03:52:30 AM

Maybe. Later. Not now.

First priority is to upgrade to version 2.0 of SMF. Big job, requiring crossing of fingers, backup, upgrading a large forum, upgrading the very large database, re-writing existing mods to fit with new version, testing, uncrossing fingers.

Then possibly consider installing new mods.

Thanks for the reply, Rob, I appreciate that.  :)
Regards,
Navneeth

rhomboid

Suggestion: split Dinner and Trivia and Games in 2 subforums.

Word games hide other dinner threads.  $:)

Maestro267

I'd like to suggest adding a link to the new thread location if a thread has been moved. At the moment it just says (for example): This thread has been moved to The Diner and nothing else. You have to go to The Diner and find the thread yourself.

Brian

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 08, 2022, 03:17:37 AMI'd like to suggest adding a link to the new thread location if a thread has been moved. At the moment it just says (for example): This thread has been moved to The Diner and nothing else. You have to go to The Diner and find the thread yourself.
Is this something moderators could do or is it to do with the coding of the site software?

Dungeon Master

By default, when a thread is moved, a link to where it goes is provided in the old location. Mods and Admin can override this default behaviour.