[1/20/2011] The Bi-weekly Listening and Appreciation Thread: Bruckner's 8th

Started by The Diner, January 20, 2011, 10:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 25, 2011, 11:01:16 AM
Listening to this work for the very first time. Thanks (first of all, and terribly belated) to Allan, and to this thread.

Excellent, Karl!  I commend you for participating in the B8 listening party.  :) 8)

The Diner

I don't know if I'm in the pocket right now or what, but this adagio is really nice.

Brahmsian

Quote from: mn dave on January 25, 2011, 04:14:40 PM
I don't know if I'm in the pocket right now or what, but this adagio is really nice.

It sure is, Dave!  8)

Brahmsian

The Diner

mahler10th

Bruckners 8th, thats some chunk of prime music we are wrestling with.
His form, reversing the normal order of scherzo and adagio, seems to give lisence to the somewhat long grand finale of the fourth movement, whose theme is like a 'charging of truth' into a blindness that is tumultous to say the least.
In the scherzo, the theme and its variations are not varied enough.  Harrrumph!  :-X

The Diner

Quote from: John on January 25, 2011, 04:48:29 PM
In the scherzo, the theme and its variations are not varied enough.  Harrrumph!  :-X

I'm going back for some scherzo right now!

The Diner

The Diner

Scarpia

Quote from: mn dave on January 25, 2011, 05:19:38 PM
Yeesh! The one in that big, fat white box o' symphonies.

'75.  That's a good one.  My favorite may be the late one, '88, with the Weiner Philharmoniker.

mahler10th

Quote from: mn dave on January 25, 2011, 05:12:49 PM
I do not think I like the lumpy scherzo.  :P

Yes, my complaint is that its a bit too stodgy, and on it's own one would get fed up listening to it.  Variations in the Scherzo don't have enough diversity.  Then again, who the Brahms am I to criticise my favourite composer?
In fact, how dare I devalue the scherzo.
I am embaressed now... :(    :'(

But still, the 'lumpy' scherzo isn't one of my favourite Bruckner creations, even in my favourite Bohm version it is still there, but imo much better integrated into the whole by brilliant conducting.

The Diner

Quote from: John on January 25, 2011, 05:35:42 PM
Yes, my complaint is that its a bit too stodgy, and on it's own one would get fed up listening to it.  Variations in the Scherzo don't have enough diversity.  Then again, who the Brahms am I to criticise my favourite composer?
In fact, how dare I devalue the scherzo.
I am embaressed now... :(    :'(

But still, the 'lumpy' scherzo isn't one of my favourite Bruckner creations, even in my favourite Bohm version it is still there, but imo much better integrated into the whole by brilliant conducting.

This symphony seems to save the best bits for last; it's back-loaded.

drogulus

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 24, 2011, 05:06:37 AM

Simpson's worship of Bruckner does not prevent him from being quite critical of the composer. But I do agree with his favorable analysis of the Eighth. You don't have to like Simpson's own music to appreciate his perceptive writings on Bruckner (and Nielsen). But keep trying, David. Simpson finally clicked for me a few weeks ago. It surprised me: I actually enjoyed my latest traversal of his symphonies.

Sarge

I don't think I'll ever warm to Simpson. Yet....the 9th is one fearsome monstrosity.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Brahmsian

Quote from: John on January 25, 2011, 05:35:42 PM
Variations in the Scherzo don't have enough diversity.  Then again, who the Brahms am I to criticise my favourite composer?

I learn something new every day.  I did not know Bruckner was your favorite composer, John?  :)

mahler10th

QuoteCHAMBER NUT:  I learn something new every day.  I did not know Bruckner was your favorite composer, John? 
It is difficult for me to say anyone else.  His canvas for each Symphony is huge, into which he lets loose Angels to brighten every beat.  Bruckner has to be played LOUD or even better, seen live, to truly be appreciated.  He tried to write music for 'God' and he did it brilliantly. 
(not that I am God, or anything...) :o

Cato

Quote from: John on January 26, 2011, 06:04:38 AM

It is difficult for me to say anyone else.  His canvas for each Symphony is huge, into which he lets loose Angels to brighten every beat.  Bruckner has to be played LOUD or even better, seen live, to truly be appreciated. He tried to write music for 'God' and he did it brilliantly.  (not that I am God, or anything...) :o

The Toledo Symphony therefore some years ago started a tradition of playing a Bruckner symphony in the Roman Catholic cathedral there, and it is truly an experience to hear the works there.   0:)

Ask Toledobass Allan about the results!

Concerning the Scherzo: I think it needs to be played with some inebriation, because it can seem stodgy, if the conductor does not see its inherent playfulness.

Playing it like a sacred dance is not good enough: a drunken dance would be better!   :o     e.g. Merlot in the Cathedral!   ???
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

MishaK

Quote from: Cato on January 26, 2011, 09:17:51 AM
Concerning the Scherzo: I think it needs to be played with some inebriation, because it can seem stodgy, if the conductor does not see its inherent playfulness.

Playing it like a sacred dance is not good enough: a drunken dance would be better!   :o     e.g. Merlot in the Cathedral!   ???

An excursion by the priests to the local Heuriger.  ;)

Quote from: John on January 25, 2011, 04:48:29 PM
His form, reversing the normal order of scherzo and adagio

Same as his model, LvB 9. Quite normal from that perspective.

About to fire up Wand with Cologne.

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on January 26, 2011, 09:17:51 AM
The Toledo Symphony therefore some years ago started a tradition of playing a Bruckner symphony in the Roman Catholic cathedral there, and it is truly an experience to hear the works there.   0:)

Ask Toledobass Allan about the results!

Was there a flask next to Allan's stand? I ask for purely musical purposes . . . .