[1/20/2011] The Bi-weekly Listening and Appreciation Thread: Bruckner's 8th

Started by The Diner, January 20, 2011, 10:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadko

Quote from: Keemun on January 22, 2011, 06:41:33 AM
Great idea, Dave!  I hope to find the time to participate.   :)

In case anyone needs a recording of Bruckner's 8th (or wants another one), here are some non-commercial recordings:

_______

Lovro von Matacic
NHK Symphony Orchestra
March 7, 1984 - NHK Hall, Tokyo, Japan
FLAC

http://www.mediafire.com/?cohvngmfyj4
http://www.mediafire.com/?e2ogwrduhem
http://www.mediafire.com/?zmmkaz2jfgt
http://www.mediafire.com/?wklzjjmafnd

Thanks a lot for the links. I don't have many number 8s, but I love the other Matacic Bruckner I have, so I downloaded this one. I'm listening to it now, very nice, even with the live imperfections.

I don't know whether I can contribute much, but I find this an interesting thread to read.

Cato

Quote from: bhodges on February 01, 2011, 01:04:20 PM
I enjoyed that, too, Cato--thank you! PS, I find the symphony very coherent, with its descending and ascending motifs--very simple by themselves--almost mirror images of each other, and used in remarkably different ways. And you're right: if there are any doubters, the final pages bring them all together.

--Bruce

Nichts zu danken!   0:)

Throughout the years I have read criticisms about the "naive" nature of the Finale's main theme, and other criticisms of the Brucknerian pause, and how the ideas are not organic, etc.  SO... I thought I would include a comment on that!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

mahler10th

The 8th played completely on Organ, coutesy of Soapy Molloy a couple of years ago.
I find these interesting because as we know Bruckner was a nifty Organ Player, and probably spent time composing on Organ.  Swiss Organ Maestro Lionel Rogg is also fairly nifty on the Organ, and he is responsible for the transcription in this work.  So we get pretty close to Bruckner playing 8 on his favourite instrument.  The transcription itself is right on the money...but...

Is it the Organ?  There is a severe loss of width in this, (a pre-requistie for Bruckner performance) and I suspect it may be the Organ and the acoustics.  There are pure Organ nuts out there who know every major Organ in Europe, and I have a feeling it should be played on a 'better' organ with better acoustics.  It's just not working here.  It may be the recording.  I have Bruckner 3 and 7 on Organ by Ernst Erich Stender, and they sound much bigger and more glorious.  If anyone has this 8, and know of it, tell me if I'm wrong or if I'm not listening properly...

Scarpia

mahler10th

Quote from: Scarpia on February 01, 2011, 03:22:33 PM
I can't image what you mean by a severe loss of "width."   ???

:-[
I suppose it's in the metaphysics of performance, whatever that means too.
:'(

Scarpia

Quote from: John on February 01, 2011, 03:34:37 PM
:-[
I suppose it's in the metaphysics of performance, whatever that means too.
:'(

You mean breadth?  (I know, synonym of width but a different implication.)

mahler10th

Quote from: Scarpia on February 01, 2011, 03:40:42 PM
You mean breadth?  (I know, synonym of width but a different implication.)

Thank you for that contextual correction.  BREADTH may indeed be what I mean... :-[

Cato

The Japanese orchestra playing Bruckner (offered above)  reminds me of the wonderful recordings of the Sibelius symphonies  with the Japan Philharmonic conducted by Akeo Watanabe.  He was a great interpreter of Sibelius, and it shows how Music does indeed bridge cultural gaps.

Bruckner on the organ does indeed make sense: recording an organ, however, is quite tricky.  I have been present twice during such attempts, and the results (from amateurs) were not pretty!   8)

Bogey

Quote from: Cato on February 02, 2011, 03:27:06 AM
The Japanese orchestra playing Bruckner (offered above)  reminds me of the wonderful recordings of the Sibelius symphonies  with the Japan Philharmonic conducted by Akeo Watanabe.  He was a great interpreter of Sibelius, and it shows how Music does indeed bridge cultural gaps.

Bruckner on the organ does indeed make sense: recording an organ, however, is quite tricky.  I have been present twice during such attempts, and the results (from amateurs) were not pretty!   8)

Unreleased performance of Bill Murray kicking out Bruckner's 8th:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 02, 2011, 05:27:27 AM
Groundhog Bruckner? . . .

Well it is Feb. 2....but you knew that. :)   Hmmmm.  Instead of a "groundbreaking" thread, how about a "ground hogging" thread?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Cato

Quote from: Bogey on February 02, 2011, 05:23:27 AM
Unreleased performance of Bill Murray kicking out Bruckner's 8th:

Actually it's a be-bop version of the 19th variation from Rachmaninov's Variations on a Theme of Paganini.   8)

Be-bop Bruckner would have to be an all-around fave!   0:)

karlhenning

I've just listened to the Eighth for only my second time, and I am confirmed in my liking for it.  The whole symphony has a most excellent (and grand) arc.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 02, 2011, 10:49:35 AM
I've just listened to the Eighth for only my second time, and I am confirmed in my liking for it.  The whole symphony has a most excellent (and grand) arc.

This deserves a table pounding, Karl8)  Very happy to hear you enjoyed the 8th.

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on February 02, 2011, 11:41:38 AM
This deserves a table pounding, Karl8)  Very happy to hear you enjoyed the 8th.

Karl is in the club!   0:)

dziendobry

I have listened to Bruckners 8th under Barenboim at least 4 times. While it is quite good, it does not hold my interest or "come together" for me as do Beethoven's or Mahler's symphonies.  It may take me quite a few more listens for it to start making more sense to me.  It reminds me of when I first listened to Brahms symphonies under Rattle.  I think I may get his 7th and 9th as well to try and get some more context for the 8th.  I have also downloaded three of the recordings that Keemun posted links to.  Hopefully this will click for me in the near future.  Now its on to Ravel!