Zemlinsky vs. Scriabin

Started by Bulldog, January 21, 2011, 10:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer the music of Zemlinsky or Scriabin?

Zemlinsky
8 (47.1%)
Scriabin
9 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: January 26, 2011, 10:12:10 AM

Bulldog

Quote from: Luke on January 24, 2011, 12:07:15 AM
Scriabin by a long, long way.

Only by one vote in the poll which is now closed. 

Two suprises for me:

1.  How close Zemlinsky came to Scriabin.
2.  Just a total of 17 votes.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bulldog on January 27, 2011, 12:27:09 PM

2.  Just a total of 17 votes.

I suppose that's a reflection of their lack of notoriety. :(

For me I love Scriabin but his personal beliefs creep me out. I read an article in BBC Music Magazine a few months back - around Halloween - in which Scriabin is described by Sudbin (the pianist) as having questionable judgment in regards to choice of friends - one of whom is purported to have partaken in drinking human blood. Eek.....

Now, admittedly the timing of such an article - around Halloween - throws into question whether it was more yarn than anything to induce the spook factor but wouldn't this kind of thing be more damaging than entertaining despite the time of year? Especially with Sudbin lending his talents to the project?

(Oh, and I love Zemlinsky, too. So, couldn't vote).

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Now that I think about this match-up, the more confusing it becomes and it simply doesn't make one bit of sense. The two composers couldn't be more different from the other. Zemlinsky is a part of that fin-de-siècle Viennese Late-Romanticism but was at a crossroads of Brahms, Mahler and early Schoenberg. Scriabin represents almost a more French aesthetic with his harmonic complexity and of course his trailblazing ventures in what would be Russian Futurism. If I had to pick a favorite composer of the two now, it would most certainly be Zemlinsky, but this isn't because I dislike Scriabin (I love a lot of his music --- the solo piano works, the Piano Concerto, etc.), but I seem to gravitate more towards Zemlinsky's aesthetic.

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 28, 2021, 02:19:39 PM
Now that I think about this match-up, the more confusing it becomes and it simply doesn't make one bit of sense. The two composers couldn't be more different from the other. Zemlinsky is a part of that fin-de-siècle Viennese Late-Romanticism but was at a crossroads of Brahms, Mahler and early Schoenberg. Scriabin represents almost a more French aesthetic with his harmonic complexity and of course his trailblazing ventures in what would be Russian Futurism. If I had to pick a favorite composer of the two now, it would most certainly be Zemlinsky, but this isn't because I dislike Scriabin (I love a lot of his music --- the solo piano works, the Piano Concerto, etc.), but I seem to gravitate more towards Zemlinsky's aesthetic.

I had forgotten about this topic: yes, this is a case of "both-and" rather than "this - or - that" !  Right now, I am in the middle of revisiting and enjoying late Scriabin works, like the Ninth Sonata and the posthumous  "Mysterium/Prefatory Action/Preparation for the Final Mystery" completed by Alexander Nemtin.

But just minutes ago, having discovered here a CD with the "complete" Seejungfrau by Zemlinsky, I really want to hear that performance now!   8)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on April 30, 2021, 06:59:19 AM
I had forgotten about this topic: yes, this is a case of "both-and" rather than "this - or - that" !  Right now, I am in the middle of revisiting and enjoying late Scriabin works, like the Ninth Sonata and the posthumous  "Mysterium/Prefatory Action/Preparation for the Final Mystery" completed by Alexander Nemtin.

But just minutes ago, having discovered here a CD with the "complete" Seejungfrau by Zemlinsky, I really want to hear that performance now!   8)

See reply in 'Current Listening' thread. ;)