Emmanuel Chabrier

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, January 17, 2021, 01:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

My favorite recording is the Paray album, which is dynamic and vivid.
The plasson set is solid as well.  The Naxos disc is surprisingly good and the performance is colorful. But the sound quality is an average Naxos quality.
The recordings by Jarvi and Gardner are a little dull.

Brian

Niquet has gone on to an acclaimed second life as a baroque opera conductor on Alpha.

I love España but a little Chabrier can go a long way. Certainly an underappreciated composer because his music is primarily about being fun rather than deep. He could be evocative or highly pictorial, but usually about things like village festivals, not sunken cathedrals or pagodas like Debussy. I have piano recitals by Angela Hewitt and Jean Casadesus, and a few pieces recorded with panache by Cecile Ousset.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brian on January 18, 2021, 09:38:55 AM
Niquet has gone on to an acclaimed second life as a baroque opera conductor on Alpha.

I love España but a little Chabrier can go a long way. Certainly an underappreciated composer because his music is primarily about being fun rather than deep. He could be evocative or highly pictorial, but usually about things like village festivals, not sunken cathedrals or pagodas like Debussy. I have piano recitals by Angela Hewitt and Jean Casadesus, and a few pieces recorded with panache by Cecile Ousset.

Well-said. Some compositions are attractive while some others are superficial. The Niquet date from Naxos is an interesting/likable recording.

vers la flamme

I'm going to try and find the Paray/Detroit. Big fan of his conducting, and I've been meaning to explore this composer for some time. Thanks for the thread, DBK.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 19, 2021, 05:00:39 AM
I'm going to try and find the Paray/Detroit. Big fan of his conducting, and I've been meaning to explore this composer for some time. Thanks for the thread, DBK.

The Detroit/Paray performs dynamic (a little macho?).  The Roussel works sound wonderful as well.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Brian on January 18, 2021, 09:38:55 AM

Whatever current judgments may say about Chabrier he was very influential amongst composers of his own time.  His light, clear writing and brilliance of orchestration had a significant impact on younger composers.  His stage works as well show a real flair.  Worth remembering that Wagner was such a dominant influence that composers such as Chabrier offered a valid alternative.

Brian

Just to be clear...I like fun lighter music so I was not insulting Mr. Chabrier  :)

SonicMan46

Piano Works - comments and recommendations?  I own and enjoy the Mercury Presence Orchestral recording - also have the top two piano recordings w/ Hewitt & Stott, both single discs w/ virtually the same program (and 70+ mins) - saw a couple of double-disc sets (bottom row) and Naxos w/ 3 volumes on Amazon - preferences?  Does one need more that a single disc?  Dave :)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 19, 2022, 01:48:53 PM
Piano Works - comments and recommendations?  I own and enjoy the Mercury Presence Orchestral recording - also have the top two piano recordings w/ Hewitt & Stott, both single discs w/ virtually the same program (and 70+ mins) - saw a couple of double-disc sets (bottom row) and Naxos w/ 3 volumes on Amazon - preferences?  Does one need more that a single disc?  Dave :)

Can't comment on the discs you mention but I do have the Naxos set of 3 discs.  No expert on Chabrier piano music but can't say the playing there Georges Rabol does much for me.  He has the technique but its all a bit thumpy and lacking the wit and fantasy this music surely needs as far as I can tell.......

SonicMan46

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 20, 2022, 09:03:27 AM
Can't comment on the discs you mention but I do have the Naxos set of 3 discs.  No expert on Chabrier piano music but can't say the playing there Georges Rabol does much for me.  He has the technique but its all a bit thumpy and lacking the wit and fantasy this music surely needs as far as I can tell.......

Thanks RS - on the Chabrier piano works comments - believe that I like Hewitt over Stott (despite loving her in Faure!) - found a bunch of reviews (attached for the interested) - Hewitt seems to come in first of the modern recordings (did not look for any comments on the Naxos discs) - Marcelle Meyer is always of of interest to me in this French repertoire but the last review in the attachment shoots down the sound quality w/ lots of tape hiss (so will ignore); thus, will cull out Stott and keep Angela unless a new recording comes along to pique my interest.  Dave :)