playing mp3 / sound quality

Started by Henk, July 27, 2010, 06:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahler10th

http://rapidshare.com/files/446084570/Sonic_1.mp3
http://rapidshare.com/files/446084588/Sonic_2.mp3

The last 90 seconds or so of Kancheli's Styx.
Sonic 1 is the original 320kbps MP3.
Sonic 2 has underwent the scrutiny of the disputed Sonnox Oxford plugin for Adobe Audition.

This is a test of dynamic range on the Sonnox plug-in.  The plug-in itself is not a Dynamic Range utility, but it affects the Dynamic Range of the output.

Sonic 2, as expected, is much louder.  This loudness completely overpowers the complexity of the crescendo.  The set of solitary Viola tweaks that follow have lost their magic, only to be replaced by a sort of sonic echo mirror.  And the very loud indeed and sudden ending is unacceptably compromised with unnecessary loss of focus.

I don't like this plug in, or many others because of the feel of 'interpolation' that goes on.  It is like using digital zoom instead of Analogue zoom on a Digital Camera.  It is like 'musical photoshopping' instead of letting us hear it as it stands.  Our music, as Classical lovers, is pretty sacred to us - few will use 'Graphic Equalisers' to listen to the delivery as intended either, and even then it is only to compensate for percieved deficiencies in output hardware.
All that is required is we spend about $89,000 on audio equipment so we can hear it properly.  ???

Or a plugin that really does emulate good hardware.

RJR

Quote from: John of Glasgow on February 03, 2011, 07:48:27 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/446084570/Sonic_1.mp3
http://rapidshare.com/files/446084588/Sonic_2.mp3

The last 90 seconds or so of Kancheli's Styx.
Sonic 1 is the original 320kbps MP3.
Sonic 2 has underwent the scrutiny of the disputed Sonnox Oxford plugin for Adobe Audition.

This is a test of dynamic range on the Sonnox plug-in.  The plug-in itself is not a Dynamic Range utility, but it affects the Dynamic Range of the output.

Sonic 2, as expected, is much louder.  This loudness completely overpowers the complexity of the crescendo.  The set of solitary Viola tweaks that follow have lost their magic, only to be replaced by a sort of sonic echo mirror.  And the very loud indeed and sudden ending is unacceptably compromised with unnecessary loss of focus.

I don't like this plug in, or many others because of the feel of 'interpolation' that goes on.  It is like using digital zoom instead of Analogue zoom on a Digital Camera.  It is like 'musical photoshopping' instead of letting us hear it as it stands.  Our music, as Classical lovers, is pretty sacred to us - few will use 'Graphic Equalisers' to listen to the delivery as intended either, and even then it is only to compensate for percieved deficiencies in output hardware.
All that is required is we spend about $89,000 on audio equipment so we can hear it properly.  ???

Or a plugin that really does emulate good hardware.
Well, I've applied this plugin on thousands of music files of every category, from cassettes to mp3 to cds and I have been satisfied with the results about 95% of the time. I don't hear any annoying artifacts. What I do hear is music that has been liberated from an overly compressed straightjacket. I can now  hear the metallic twang in the strings of Wes Montgomery's electric guitar. Before that, what I heard sounded more like a bass guitar. And the list goes on and on. I hear details in all kinds of music that I never heard before. All that glorious sound on my $30 PC speakers thanks to that plugin. I love it. And I saved 88 thousand dollars.

mahler10th

It IS a very good plugin for certain kinds of music RJR, that's for sure.  For example, it could release anything thats pent up in techno music, or as you say, amplify what is good in matallic twangs and the like.  I don't doubt its usefulness and brilliance in these things, your collection is probably LOUD and FREE with your application of the plug-in.  My only issue is that the precision and nuance that exists in every classical piece is degraded by the use of this plug-in, and should be avopided for that purpose at all costs.  Even $88,000!   :o
However, I am a geeky twat, and I would still like to experiment with plug-ins.  Any more on your 'much used' list I can test on Classical Music?