Elliott Carter, 1908-2012

Started by bwv 1080, April 07, 2007, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: San Antone on October 24, 2023, 05:53:09 AMA film made for and premiered at the New York Philharmonic's "Day of Carter" on Saturday, December 13, 2008. The film features Elliott Carter in conversation with composer Steven Stucky.

In four parts on YouTube, here's Part 2 of 4

Most interesting, thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

CRCulver

Quote from: Karl Henning on October 23, 2023, 04:53:34 PM

Oh, man, that video is embarrassing. If the autism is so strong that you can't control the awkward facial movements and maintain eye contact with the camera, just do what a lot of YouTubers do and limit yourself to voiceover. It also doesn't help Carter's image – this is a composer that can appeal to more than just oddballs.

Maestro267

Is that dig necessary? Sorry you can't handle how we are.

San Antone

Just bought this:

Carter
by David Schiff

Looking forward to reading it.  I found it because of Classical Nerd's interview with him.  David Schiff is a composer, conductor, and author, as well as Emeritus Professor of Music from Reed College in Portland, Oregon.

DavidW

Quote from: CRCulver on October 24, 2023, 04:31:04 PMOh, man, that video is embarrassing. If the autism is so strong that you can't control the awkward facial movements and maintain eye contact with the camera,

Jumping to conclusions.  People new to making YT videos have difficulty talking to and looking at a camera.  That doesn't automatically imply that they are on the spectrum.  It takes experience to get comfortable in front of a camera.

atardecer

I never noticed anything awkward or embarrassing in Classical Nerd's video. I thought it was well presented. I don't think it is necessary to make constant eye contact with the camera in such videos, I don't see what difference it makes.

I don't get the relevance of the 'oddballs' comment either. This is classical music. If you want to get rid of oddballs, well then take away many of the best musicians and composers in the history of the tradition.
"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on October 25, 2023, 06:37:16 AMJumping to conclusions.  People new to making YT videos have difficulty talking to and looking at a camera.  That doesn't automatically imply that they are on the spectrum.  It takes experience to get comfortable in front of a camera.
The fact that he's not polished doesn't faze me in the least. Good for him for doing what he does.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

CRCulver

Just compare the presenter of the linked video to the people that European new-music ensembles have do their advocacy, like Matthias Pintscher or Simon Proust at the Ensemble Intercontemporain. Being suave and presentable does matter in presenting modernism if you want any hope of it overcoming its poor reputation. I imagine a lot of us here on GMG are eccentric types, but precisely because we know – or at least should – how annoying that can be to other people, we ought to understand that it's better for us to step aside or create something around voiceover.

Anyway, I didn't want to derail the discussion of Carter here, only complain that he was badly served yet again.

Maestro267

...or just do it anyway because we still have a right to. Precisely to annoy people like you who apparently get easily annoyed by natural foibles like this. Exactly like modernism, it's meant to challenge the perceived norm, perfection be damned. Here it is, here we are, here I am, like it or not. Put up or shut up.

Florestan

Quote from: CRCulver on October 24, 2023, 04:31:04 PMawkward facial movements

There are none in that video. None at all.

Seriously, if short side glances before the camera qualify as "awkward facial movements indicative of uncontrolled autism" then I'm afraid 90% of those who ever got to speak on camera are autists who can't control themselves.

Quotemaintain eye contact with the camera

He does exactly that most of the time.

There is absolutely nothing in the presenter's behavior or manner of speech to suggest he's an autist --- and even if he were, he'd deserve praise and encouragement, not lambast and scorn. Your comment is at best bizzare and at worst rude.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini