de Falla Station

Started by Szykneij, February 19, 2011, 08:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I recall not being impressed by the Piano Music. Was I wrong?

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on May 05, 2018, 05:55:50 AM
I recall not being impressed by the Piano Music. Was I wrong?

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but I disagree. He wrote some real gems here. Check out Perianes on Harmonia Mundi.

Mirror Image

Thought I would revive this thread mainly for Rafael and myself who seem to be the only resident Falla fans here.... :)

Anyway, I'm now listening to the Victoria de los Angeles recording (w/ Frühbeck de Burgos) of La vida breve on EMI and I'm loving this performance. What was I missing before? The only other performance of this opera I own is Pons on Harmonia Mundi, but, for some reason, that performance didn't resonate with me. Now, I'm considering the Navarra recording on Deutsche Grammophe unless Rafael has any objections? While I adore El retablo de maese Pedro, I have to say that La vida breve has its' own charms and this is Falla in full-on 'Spanish Impressionism' mode (if this makes any sense) and how wonderful it is, too.

Speaking of El retablo de maese Pedro, I really have enjoyed every performance I've heard of it, but I quite like Dutoit's performance on Erato. I also like Pons on Harmonia Mundi.

Mirror Image

One of my favorite photos of Falla:

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 02, 2020, 08:35:57 PM
Yes it's great!
I have the highest opinion of 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain', of which I have several recordings, and tend to like much of what I've heard by Falla.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

I ordered Alicia de Larrocha playing Nights in the Gardens of Spain. I'm looking forward to spending time with this composer's music. But as it stands, I have heard very little.

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 03, 2020, 01:53:29 AM
I ordered Alicia de Larrocha playing Nights in the Gardens of Spain. I'm looking forward to spending time with this composer's music. But as it stands, I have heard very little.
I'm sure you'll enjoy that work. It has a poetic and rather magical atmosphere.  I like this recording:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 02, 2020, 10:30:07 PM
Yes it's great!
I have the highest opinion of 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain', of which I have several recordings, and tend to like much of what I've heard by Falla.

Very nice, Jeffrey. Do you know the solo piano music? It's worth looking into.

Irons

Do not forget the Harpsichord Concerto! A great work which thanks to this thread I will play this evening. :)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 03, 2020, 01:53:29 AM

Falla's oeuvre is quite small and it would be easy to go through it in one day (that is, if you had a day completely devoted to listening to his music and no distractions whatsoever). Unfortunately, his discography is so spread out and there's still parts of his oeuvre that aren't well-known at all like his chamber music and songs for example. The ballets, operas, and solo piano music have been recorded many times.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Irons on March 03, 2020, 06:25:07 AM
Do not forget the Harpsichord Concerto! A great work which thanks to this thread I will play this evening. :)

A fine work, indeed. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 03, 2020, 06:11:14 AM
Very nice, Jeffrey. Do you know the solo piano music? It's worth looking into.
Thanks John. No I don't. Clearly something to investigate as I find Falla to be an interesting composer. I have a nice Clifford Curzon boxed set which features Falla's 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain' on the same CD as Rawsthorne's Second Piano Concerto in fine performances. That CD gives me great pleasure as they are two of my favourite piano concertos:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Relatively newer recordings I admire.
Although I like all the historical recordings, ie. Stokowski, Burgos, Ormandy, Bernstein, etc, my favorite is Igor Markevitch.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on March 02, 2020, 10:30:07 PM
Yes it's great!

As for the Jardines, I like the performance by Argerich.

Brahmsian

ritter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 27, 2021, 07:42:08 AM
Just pre-ordered:

Hope you enjoy it (even if the set does not include Los amores de la Inés  ;) ;D). Do share your impressions, if you are so inclined, once you've received it (particularly on Atlántida).

Cheers,

staxomega

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 02, 2020, 08:35:57 PM

That clever old Youtube algorithm had this in my recommended feed, a company in London making hand made hats, they might have invented the bowler hat.

https://youtu.be/9rp06KA0D-I

The Three Cornered Hat must have been one of the earliest pieces that made me fall in love with classical. I have several of the other works scattered on other CDs, I suspect I do need that new Warner box.

Mirror Image

Quote from: hvbias on November 28, 2021, 06:23:05 AMThe Three Cornered Hat must have been one of the earliest pieces that made me fall in love with classical. I have several of the other works scattered on other CDs, I suspect I do need that new Warner box.

The new Falla set on Warner (The Spanish Soul) looks like a good way for many people who don't own a lot of Falla to acquire his music all under one roof. Many of the performances in this set I know well and are outstanding. I won't be getting it as I own almost all of the performances in this set.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 28, 2021, 06:32:55 AM
The new Falla set on Warner (The Spanish Soul) looks like a good way for many people who don't own a lot of Falla to acquire his music all under one roof.

This is why I have done so.  :)

The only piece I have ever heard of Falla is Master Peter's Puppet Show on YouTube with Dutoit conducting. That is it!

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 28, 2021, 01:54:23 PM
This is why I have done so.  :)

The only piece I have ever heard of Falla is Master Peter's Puppet Show on YouTube with Dutoit conducting. That is it!

:o You are in for a real treat, my friend. A fabulous composer. It's just a shame he didn't compose more.