The Music Room > Composer Discussion

de Falla Station

<< < (2/14) > >>

Luke:
So much sweet soul under there, Guido! give em another play...

Luke:
Oh, and MI, I was just thinking - you've been talking recently about your new-found love for a particular group of operas within a genre which as whole you find difficult - I'm talking of Pelleas, Bluebeard, and particularly in this case of Ravel's operas. To me, Falla's Retablo is somewhere in the same lineage as the Ravel two - the artificial, doll-like world of L'enfant, the exquisite Spanishery of L'heure. I recommend it to you highly.

Drasko:
I'm very fond of El corregidor y la molinera, first version of El sombrero de tres picos. Originally written as a pantomime, scored for 17 instruments. Somewhat longer and more rambling and I'm actually not sure is it preferable to Sombrero in any way, but I find it more intimate, atmospheric and easy going than tighter wound and brilliant sounding ballet version, and I play it much more often. Would really love to see it staged as pantomime or perhaps a puppet play. 

Mirror Image:
I should also mention my love for Nights in the Gardens of Spain, this is really a dreamy, beautiful work.

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: sul G (again) on February 20, 2011, 03:39:13 AM ---Oh, and MI, I was just thinking - you've been talking recently about your new-found love for a particular group of operas within a genre which as whole you find difficult - I'm talking of Pelleas, Bluebeard, and particularly in this case of Ravel's operas. To me, Falla's Retablo is somewhere in the same lineage as the Ravel two - the artificial, doll-like world of L'enfant, the exquisite Spanishery of L'heure. I recommend it to you highly.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, sul G. I have a copy of this opera somewhere. I think it's the performance by Mata on Dorian. I'll have to listen to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version