Is Arkivmusic good to order from?

Started by 12tone., February 20, 2011, 05:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: Daverz on February 23, 2011, 07:42:24 AM
I usually wait for sales to order from Archivmusic.  Delivery is always fast and reliable (though I am in the same state).

My understanding is that ArkivMusic has various warehouses around the country, so I'm not sure what you mean by "same state".

Daverz

Quote from: Bulldog on February 23, 2011, 07:59:24 AM
My understanding is that ArkivMusic has various warehouses around the country, so I'm not sure what you mean by "same state".

I thought they were in California, since they collect sales tax, but I guess they must just have a warehouse here.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Daverz on February 23, 2011, 08:05:11 AM
I thought they were in California, since they collect sales tax, but I guess they must just have a warehouse here.

I have had, within 1 order from them, parcels from Florida, Pennsylvania and California. So sales tax for me, because they apparently don't have a facility in Texas.   0:)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

I thought most of my ArkivMusic packages came from Wallingford, Connecticut. Except anything from Naxos comes straight from Naxos HQ at Franklin, TN.

Scarpia

Quote from: Daverz on February 23, 2011, 07:42:24 AMI usually find their ArchivCDs too expensive, though, unless I really want something.  I assume they have to cover licensing costs, or they'd price them more competitively.

The rational for ArchivCDs eludes me.  I've rarely seen an ArchivCD that I couldn't have gotten cheaper as a used copy.  I have more faith in the longevity of a used manufactured CD than in a CDR.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 23, 2011, 10:26:31 AM
The rational for ArchivCDs eludes me.  I've rarely seen an ArchivCD that I couldn't have gotten cheaper as a used copy.  I have more faith in the longevity of a used manufactured CD than in a CDR.
First, I think it happens more often than you think. Cheapest Beethoven Firkusny is $32-33 for a used copy (non CDR) as an example.

Second, some of us don't like it when people get their grubby fingers all over the the discs and the booklets.  :o
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 23, 2011, 10:26:31 AM
I've rarely seen an ArchivCD that I couldn't have gotten cheaper as a used copy.  I have more faith in the longevity of a used manufactured CD than in a CDR.

I would dispute your first, since I shop that way too and plenty of hard to find disks are way more expensive than ArkivCD's.

I agree with your second, CDR's scare me. If mine, burned by me with the best disks I can find, don't hold up as well, why would theirs?  Maybe they would, but I don't trust them. :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scarpia

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 23, 2011, 11:05:44 AM
I would dispute your first, since I shop that way too and plenty of hard to find disks are way more expensive than ArkivCD's.

I agree with your second, CDR's scare me. If mine, burned by me with the best disks I can find, don't hold up as well, why would theirs?  Maybe they would, but I don't trust them. :-\

It must be my taste in music.   :-\  Those things I do want which are OOP and super-rare (like the Doyen Faure set) usually Archiv doesn't have them anyway. 

Shrunk

Quote from: chasmaniac on February 21, 2011, 02:53:23 AM
Some of their stock ships from Canada. I've found Arkiv very reliable.

I second that opinion.  In stock items usually arrive within a week.  IIRC, discs on the BIS label ship from Canada so usually arrive in less than that, though the website says the opposite (under the assumption, I guess, that most of their orders come from the US.)

Shop with confidence.

Mirror Image

I don't buy from Arkivmusic just like I don't buy a CD that's a Musical Heritage Society. I want the original CDs, and for what Arkivmusic offers, their discs are too expensive. It would be different if you're getting an original release, but you're not.

Bulldog

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2011, 01:06:00 PM
I don't buy from Arkivmusic just like I don't buy a CD that's a Musical Heritage Society. I want the original CDs, and for what Arkivmusic offers, their discs are too expensive. It would be different if you're getting an original release, but you're not.

You make it sound as if ArkivMusic only sells CDR's.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2011, 01:06:00 PM

Dude, maybe like 10% of their disks are those Arkiv CD's, and they are clearly marked.   :D

8)

Scarpia

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 23, 2011, 01:22:42 PM
Dude, maybe like 10% of their disks are those Arkiv CD's, and they are clearly marked.   :D

I've gotten a number of things from them (all standard CDs).  Their prices are typically not impressive, but occasionally there is a really good offer (I got the Schuman symphony cycle there, it was the best price I had come across).

Bulldog

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 23, 2011, 01:25:19 PM
I've gotten a number of things from them (all standard CDs).  Their prices are typically not impressive, but occasionally there is a really good offer (I got the Schuman symphony cycle there, it was the best price I had come across).

There might be more to recordings than their price.  ArkivMusic doesn't promote itself on price, but on service and inventory.  Anyways, when I want a recording, I go to ArkivMusic.  And their screens are so much better than any other sales site including Amazon.  Personally, I would never buy anything from Amazon, having had some problems with "availability" and sending me the wrong items.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on February 23, 2011, 03:06:49 PM
There might be more to recordings than their price.  ArkivMusic doesn't promote itself on price, but on service and inventory.  Anyways, when I want a recording, I go to ArkivMusic.  And their screens are so much better than any other sales site including Amazon.  Personally, I would never buy anything from Amazon, having had some problems with "availability" and sending me the wrong items.

I also value service, but don't ignore price.  I recently got this release, new from a 5 star marketplace retailer on Amazon, for 37 cents on amazon

Hard to imagine that Arkivmusic service is worth another $18.   :)  (I have the Op 67 quartet from the same ensemble, it's good.)

Szykneij

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 23, 2011, 03:13:13 PM
I also value service, but don't ignore price.  I recently got this release, new from a 5 star marketplace retailer on Amazon, for 37 cents on amazon

Hard to imagine that Arkivmusic service is worth another $18.   :)  (I have the Op 67 quartet from the same ensemble, it's good.)

I've always had good experiences ordering from Amazon and Amazon Marketplace, with the exception of ordering from Go Hastings which I make sure I avoid.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Scarpia

Quote from: Szykneij on February 23, 2011, 03:21:00 PM
I've always had good experiences ordering from Amazon and Amazon Marketplace, with the exception of ordering from Go Hastings which I make sure I avoid.

I think they once set me the wrong disc, but refunded without any fuss.  Their prices are attractive so I consider it worth the risk.

Grazioso

Quote from: Bulldog on February 23, 2011, 03:06:49 PM

I've found Amazon's customer service to be among the best I've ever dealt with. On the very few occasions where they've goofed, they fixed things quickly and politely. The only problem I had with a marketplace seller was with Caiman. Fortunately, their horrible reputation now precedes them. Are they even still around?
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

karlhenning

Well, I am going to agree both with the convenience and customer service of Amazon, and the inventory, reliability and speed of delivery of Arkiv.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 23, 2011, 01:22:42 PM

8)

Oh!  :-[ Please excuse my ignorance. I thought they were a company that's focus was on out-of-print CDs and reprinting them.