Is Arkivmusic good to order from?

Started by 12tone., February 20, 2011, 05:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2011, 12:59:10 PM
Oh!  :-[ Please excuse my ignorance. I thought they were a company that's focus was on out-of-print CDs and reprinting them.

Oh, no, they are just a regular vendor (with the best web page ever), and about 5 years ago they started offering reprints of OOP items. First, just a disk, now they've added the booklet too. Really, if ll you want is to hear the music, and don't mind paying too much, it is probably a good deal. Many have said so. As I said earlier, I am afraid of CDR's so I haven't tried. Beyond that though, they are a very good vendor! :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scarpia

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 24, 2011, 01:10:01 PM
Oh, no, they are just a regular vendor (with the best web page ever)

Their drill-down web page organization must be seen to be believed, it's only weakness is that it is restricted to US releases.  But after I find the disc, I must admit I usually find a cheaper copy elsewhere.   :-[

Brahmsian

I haven't bought any music from Arkivmusic, but I have had their website marked as a 'Favorite' for quite some time now.  I use their site frequently as a classical music works/recordings search engine.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 24, 2011, 01:15:40 PM
Their drill-down web page organization must be seen to be believed, it's only weakness is that it is restricted to US releases.  But after I find the disc, I must admit I usually find a cheaper copy elsewhere.   :-[

Yeah, sad to say, so do I. I wish they could get their stuff together on that. If it wasn't for the price thing, I wouldn't buy anywhere else. Their sales are good though. Amazon never has a sale. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Grazioso

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2011, 12:59:10 PM
Oh!  :-[ Please excuse my ignorance. I thought they were a company that's focus was on out-of-print CDs and reprinting them.

It should be noted that Amazon offers a similar service, fwiw.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 24, 2011, 01:23:30 PM
Yeah, sad to say, so do I. I wish they could get their stuff together on that. If it wasn't for the price thing, I wouldn't buy anywhere else. Their sales are good though. Amazon never has a sale. :)

8)

Their CPO sale of 3 for $33 gets me every time!

And yes, the site itself is a very useful resource.

I've bought a few ArkivCDs and haven't had a problem yet. Long-term, who knows?
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI ยง217

Scarpia

Quote from: Grazioso on February 24, 2011, 02:00:39 PM
It should be noted that Amazon offers a similar service, fwiw.

They do?  Amazon.com or one of the other countries?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 24, 2011, 02:51:59 PM
They do?  Amazon.com or one of the other countries?

Amazon US has it. It is a smaller size than Arkiv's, but I have seen several disks that they offer.

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Floregium - Bach CPE Wq 147 Trio Sonata in C for Flute, Violin, Cello & Keyboard 2nd mvmt - Adagio

Scarpia

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 24, 2011, 04:05:52 PM
Amazon US has it. It is a smaller size than Arkiv's, but I have seen several disks that they offer.

Hmmm, I've never come across one, that I noticed.

Grazioso

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 24, 2011, 04:08:54 PM
Hmmm, I've never come across one, that I noticed.

They offer it, via a subsidiary company called CreateSpace, for a large number of Marco Polo discs, for example. I bought one and was disappointed: no liner notes, no timings, and multi-movement works all recorded as single tracks. Will not buy these again. One of Amazon's rare missteps.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 24, 2011, 01:10:01 PM
Oh, no, they are just a regular vendor (with the best web page ever), and about 5 years ago they started offering reprints of OOP items. First, just a disk, now they've added the booklet too. Really, if ll you want is to hear the music, and don't mind paying too much, it is probably a good deal. Many have said so. As I said earlier, I am afraid of CDR's so I haven't tried. Beyond that though, they are a very good vendor! :)

8)

I did not know this. Thanks for correcting me on this matter. I would not probably use them as I find Amazon Marketplace prices much more to my liking. I'll definitely keep a more open-mind next time I mouth off about something I know nothing about. ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Grazioso on February 24, 2011, 04:49:38 PM
They offer it, via a subsidiary company called CreateSpace, for a large number of Marco Polo discs, for example. I bought one and was disappointed: no liner notes, no timings, and multi-movement works all recorded as single tracks. Will not buy these again. One of Amazon's rare missteps.

Oh wow, I did not know that! What a massive cockup  :o  ::)  I thought they were built on the Arkiv Disk model. Well, you wouldn't know otherwise if you hadn't tried one, I guess. :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Capella Academica Wien / Melkus  Haebler - Bach JC Concerto #1 in Bb for Fortepiano Op 01 1st mvmt

haziz

I have had no issues with both original CDs and with their ArkivCDs. It is a good resource to have since classical has now been relegated to less than a niche. Not surprising considering the give-away prices the majors have to sell their CDs for nowadays. US $102 for a box set of 103 Heifetz CDs! Come on? I do appreciate the savings, but it does illustrate that this distribution model for classical recordings is dying. I have not jumped at digital dowloads fully yet, since many are compressed MP3s or AAC files and I would rather have the original, or close to original, FLAC file and also prefer to have a physical CD to play should I wish.

The whole classical record market is in a sorry state nowadays however.

Back to ArkivCD, I do appreciate their service since I do sometimes wish to dig up out of print issues. Recently I got probably my third or fourth copy of the Markevitch cycle of Tchaikovsky symphonies. As my first box set of Tchaikovsky, I stiil think of them as the definitive recordings, though I certainly enjoy Karajan, Mravinsky, Pletnev, Litton and others.

I think ArkivMusic is owned by Steinway and Sons BTW.

Sorry for going off topic and rambling.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Coopmv

I have been on ArkivMusic email list for years, as I purchased CD's from it on a regular basis until a few years ago.  When Arkiv runs a good sale, the prices can be quite good.  Generally, Amazon MP vendors tend to offer the best prices for domestic etailers.  Over the past two years, I have been buying most of my CD's from MDT and Presto Classical, both are UK-based etailers.