William Schuman (1910-1992)

Started by vandermolen, June 26, 2007, 11:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

I finally bought the remaining Naxos cd's of William Schuman's symphonies,and the BMG Slatkin cd,of the tenth symphony,and other works. I 'enjoyed' the Ninth,or at least,I found it very absorbing. I am increasingly beginning to feel that if you want to listen through a cycle of symphonies,by an American composer;Schuman is the most satisfying,as a whole.  That's not to denigrate other US composers. Thanks to Delos,and Naxos,Schuman's cycle is more,immediately,accessible than some. But,I do get that satisfaction,you get,with the best symphonists;of making some kind of journey,along with the composer. It's music that seems to evolve,as it goes along. Also,Schuman's symphonies feel more varied than some of his contemporaries. Even though,none of his symphonies,go so far as to,use voices,like  the Fourth symphonies of,Mennin and Harris,for instance!
Obviously,a complete cycle,from some recording label,of the symphonies of Diamond and Piston (for,example) might alter my view?!

cilgwyn

NB: I'm not saying I like Schuman,better. I'm just referring to taking a cycle as a whole entity.  Indeed,I like all the composers,I mentioned. Although,Harris is probably the most problematic;I like his,best symphonies,too!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 20, 2019, 09:48:43 AM
A Schuman sighting

Muti/CSO are doing the Symphony No. 9 (Le fosse Ardeatine) on Feb. 21-23.

I've never heard this one myself. I gather it's not a critical favorite, but the CSO is doing war-inspired music this season (100 years since the Armistice), and it fits into that theme. Personally I wish they were doing Prayer in a Time of War instead (a very fine, brooding piece, and not overlong). But it's always good to see Big Bill Schuman get attention from our major ensembles. More please!

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 21, 2019, 10:19:34 AM
I put on Bernstein's classic recordings of William Schuman symphonies,a week,or two,ago. To my surprise,I found myself 'enjoying' (if that's the right word?) his eighth symphony. I have since,bought s/h copies of recordings of his ninth and tenth symphonies. I haven't received them yet,though. They're still in the post;and hopefully,should be here,soon! This follows my finding myself responding more positively to Mennin's eighth and ninth symphonies,than I used to. Particularly,the eighth,with it's apocalyptic imagery. It seems I'm suddenly beginning to like my symphonies a bit tougher,in my mid fifties?!! ??? ;D

Enjoying is certainly an apt response to the Eighth
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 24, 2019, 08:39:10 AM
I finally bought the remaining Naxos cd's of William Schuman's symphonies,and the BMG Slatkin cd,of the tenth symphony,and other works. I 'enjoyed' the Ninth,or at least,I found it very absorbing. I am increasingly beginning to feel that if you want to listen through a cycle of symphonies,by an American composer;Schuman is the most satisfying,as a whole.  That's not to denigrate other US composers. Thanks to Delos,and Naxos,Schuman's cycle is more,immediately,accessible than some. But,I do get that satisfaction,you get,with the best symphonists;of making some kind of journey,along with the composer. It's music that seems to evolve,as it goes along. Also,Schuman's symphonies feel more varied than some of his contemporaries. Even though,none of his symphonies,go so far as to,use voices,like  the Fourth symphonies of,Mennin and Harris,for instance!
Obviously,a complete cycle,from some recording label,of the symphonies of Diamond and Piston (for,example) might alter my view?!
Interesting and encouraging me to go beyond symphonies 3, 6 and the fine New England Triptych in my exploration of Schuman.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I still feel the sting of disappointment that this old mono Mercury recording has never made it to CD.

I had it on vinyl (now I have the Digital transfer I made) but I would love to have it direct from the master tape. I think I read somewhere that it was the first recording that Fine did using what became the Mercury Living Presence technique.

cilgwyn

After all that enthusiasm,I've got to admit,No 10,was a bit of a struggle! And,I did keep looking at the track timings ("How much is left?!") But maybe,the fact that the first cd set (Syms 1-3) of Blomstedt's Nielsen cycle,arrived the same day,didn't help?! I was itching to hear that! It was next,in the pile!
Needless to say.....I did 'enjoy' (or appreciate?) the Ninth. The story behind it probably helps! The tenth seems more like,another one of those,forgettable,orchestral works composers seem to serve up in the sixties,to fleeting praise from the critics! The only trouble is,it was composed in the 1970's! I felt the Ninth was more 'heartfelt. If that's the right word? I will have another go at No 10,soon,anyway! The Schwarz cd of 7 & 10,arrived today! But,oh dear! The second Decca set,of the Blomstedt Nielsen cycle,with symphonies 4-6,just arrived,as well!! ::) ;D Also,the Naxos cd,of No 8. With a Naxos catalogue for the cover!! ??? :( Now,I've got to pack up another return!! :( >:(

Scion7

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 22, 2013, 09:52:45 AM
Hm, what's up with his withdrawing the later ballets, Voyage for a Theatre (1953) and The Witch of Endor (1965)?

FOR "Endor": Not sure, even K. Gary Adams in his bio of Schuman doesn't go into a lot of detail.
It got a bad review in one paper, and I guess ol' Bill decided they were right?
Anyway, the 2018 release can be found in its entirety on YouTube.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

It's been 66 years - isn't it time for a new recording of Undertow (1945)?

Joseph Levine recorded it last in '54.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on August 24, 2020, 08:49:24 PM
It's been 66 years - isn't it time for a new recording of Undertow (1945)?

Joseph Levine recorded it last in '54.
Interesting - never heard of this work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on August 25, 2020, 07:26:54 AM
Re: "Undertow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI0am0WSm44&t=101s

Thanks - what a fine work and one which deserves to be much better known.

PS Amazon tells me that I bought the CD in 2013, presumably for the Antheil coupling!

Scion7

Heh.  A definite case of GotSoMuchStuffCan'tRememberWhatIHavitis.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on August 25, 2020, 12:54:23 PM
Heh.  A definite case of GotSoMuchStuffCan'tRememberWhatIHavitis.

Yes, Indeed, otherwise known as OCCDCD (Obsessive Compulsive CD Collecting Disorder).

Scion7

Prelude for a Great Occasion, for brass & percussion --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c05atPqIqzo

- if that great occasion is the Apes invading the Forbidden Zone!   :o

Yes, this 1974 composition is interesting.  Unsettling.

Maestro267

I got the Naxos "box" of the symphonies, which I'm starting now with No. 3. My first purchase of American classical music for quite some time, I believe.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 07, 2023, 05:18:25 AMI got the Naxos "box" of the symphonies, which I'm starting now with No. 3. My first purchase of American classical music for quite some time, I believe.
I like the symphonies and that set very well.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Maestro267

Thoroughly enjoying these. Full of the American spirit. Wonderful deployment of the various choirs of the orchestra.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 07, 2023, 05:18:25 AMI got the Naxos "box" of the symphonies, which I'm starting now with No. 3. My first purchase of American classical music for quite some time, I believe.
3 and 6 are my favourites - both great works.

kyjo

Was recently listening to the 6th Symphony (Seattle Symphony/Schwarz on Naxos) and am in two minds about it. On one hand, I find the faster, more aggressive sections to be quite viscerally thrilling (with their prominent timpani writing), however I find the slower sections to be too desolate and rather "arid", but perhaps that is the expressive point of them. That said, I do find the reflective, quiet ending to be quite moving with its oscillations between major and minor (ultimately ending in minor) - rather reminiscent of the coda of Britten's Violin Concerto. I know Jeffrey/vandermolen is a great admirer of the work - any other opinions?

As with many people, my favorite Schuman work is definitely the absolutely dynamite 3rd Symphony (in the NYPO/Bernstein recording on Sony - tremendous!), which lacks the "dead spots" of some of his other works. I'm also a great admirer of his Violin Concerto and New England Triptych. But overall, I wouldn't say he's amongst my favorite American composers.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff