William Schuman (1910-1992)

Started by vandermolen, June 26, 2007, 11:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

It's certainly fascinating how the mind works and how opinions can change over time. I disliked Schuman and Tippett almost equally, but there was something in both composer's music that brought be back ad now they're two of my favorites! Koechlin was the same way for me. I wasn't particularly impressed with his music on first hearing, but now I can't get enough of it. Anyway, I'm just sharing a thought.

How about Schuman's 6th, eh? What a symphony!

Karl Henning

Incidentally, I think highly of both Mennin and Schuman. Their music, I mean;  I have no opinion about their respective personalities.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

not edward

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Karl Henning

Many thanks, Edward; I had not seen that before.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

eyeresist

Mirror Image

eyeresist

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on May 02, 2012, 08:43:35 PM
But does that even exist anymore?

Yes, I believe the William Schuman Trust owns the manuscripts to the first two symphonies, but obeying Schuman's wishes, it will never be released for performance.

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 02, 2012, 08:56:16 PMYes, I believe the William Schuman Trust owns the manuscripts to the first two symphonies, but obeying Schuman's wishes, it will never be released for performance.

I'm sure their release could be - ahem -  "facilitated".

Just scan the manuscripts to PDF and post them on the internet. They'd never get the genie back in that bottle :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on May 02, 2012, 09:07:20 PM
I'm sure their release could be - ahem -  "facilitated".

Just scan the manuscripts to PDF and post them on the internet. They'd never get the genie back in that bottle :D

:P

Dundonnell

The Polisi interview is indeed very interesting :) Thanks for making the link available. Especially interesting to me for what Polisi has to say about the Schuman-Mennin relationship ;D
I hope to find out more about that soon since I have been invited to make  personal contact with Walter Simmons-who wrote about both in "Voices of Stone and Steel" :)

(Incidentally, I find it perfectly possible to like the music of both Schuman and Mennin :). I can understand that others have a preference between the two composers but comparing and contrasting their music is an exercise which I find, ultimately, unedifying. They are different composers, they wrote music which sounds different because it is different. I admire both and I appreciate both. End of.)

Regarding the Schuman Symphony No.2...Polisi has some interesting comments on the unlikelihood of it being performed again. That makes it even more gratifying that there is a recording of the work available: the CBS Symphony Orchestra/Howard Barlow broadcast from 1940 (albeit in ancient sound quality!). I like the work but I can understand Polisi's point. Even if Schuman's family lifted the embargo on performance it might put people off the composer. The Second is a furiously angry, driven, extremely powerful piece. Unlike the later symphonies (6-9) it is not however quite so "brass-dominated" and the use of the brass sounds different. It certainly sounds nothing like the 3rd ;D

One Schuman piece which has really surprised me recently is American Hymn from 1981-in its full orchestral incarnation. Voyages from 1972 is an extremely tough work to grasp but American Hymn is much more lyrical and attractive. It should be reissued on cd or re-recorded.

Elnimio

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 03, 2012, 05:30:06 AM

Regarding the Schuman Symphony No.2...Polisi has some interesting comments on the unlikelihood of it being performed again. That makes it even more gratifying that there is a recording of the work available: the CBS Symphony Orchestra/Howard Barlow broadcast from 1940 (albeit in ancient sound quality!). I like the work but I can understand Polisi's point. Even if Schuman's family lifted the embargo on performance it might put people off the composer. The Second is a furiously angry, driven, extremely powerful piece. Unlike the later symphonies (6-9) it is not however quite so "brass-dominated" and the use of the brass sounds different. It certainly sounds nothing like the 3rd ;D

Sounds right up my alley (unlike the vast majority of his other work). Too bad I can't find any recordings.

snyprrr

Haha, I pulled out the VC/DG, being prompted by the Thread, and dutifully tracked passed Suntreader and began to listen. My, what a dramatic opening, and oh my! I didn't know Schuman like this, it must be his Masterpiece,... and my! the introduction goes on, it must be a Symphony for Violin & Orchestra!

Then I realized I was listening to Track 2-3, which are simply part of Suntreader!

I'll have to get around to that VC. ??? :-[ ;D

Scion7

"..... not always likable ... " - well, it's rare that anyone is, 24/7.    You can't be a powderpuff and run the Julliard school, either.   Interesting interview.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

snyprrr

Again checked out the 9th on YT (Naxos). I seem to recall really enjoying it on LP with Ormandy, but can't stand it now. So I popped in the 8th again, and this must be my favorite Schuman, with its moody opening (I thought I really liked the moody opening of the 9th with Ormandy,... but the Naxos just is missing... something). This is what I want out of my '60s Symphonies!

Still, I like 6-7 too. All three are huge American Symphonies.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on May 07, 2012, 07:41:27 AM
Again checked out the 9th on YT (Naxos). I seem to recall really enjoying it on LP with Ormandy, but can't stand it now. So I popped in the 8th again, and this must be my favorite Schuman, with its moody opening (I thought I really liked the moody opening of the 9th with Ormandy,... but the Naxos just is missing... something). This is what I want out of my '60s Symphonies!

Still, I like 6-7 too. All three are huge American Symphonies.

The 9th is still a hard pill for me to swallow. I just can't get into it at all. It probably wouldn't matter who conducted it because it's the music itself that I'm having problems with. I listened to it again a week or so ago and things fared better, but not by much. It's still an ugly ear sore.

Karl Henning

Sorry that you lads don't, but I like the Ninth very well. Nyaaah! ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

eyeresist

Quote from: snyprrr on May 07, 2012, 07:41:27 AMAgain checked out the 9th on YT (Naxos). I seem to recall really enjoying it on LP with Ormandy, but can't stand it now. So I popped in the 8th again, and this must be my favorite Schuman, with its moody opening

Yes, the 8th is one of the ones I've ripped to my work PC. It gives the lie to the idea that late Schuman is grey and dour. The mood is mostly fairly downbeat, but there's a lot to charm the ear here (the modern recording helps). I love that part in the finale with the piano and tuned percussion - fairyland for a moment.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2012, 07:49:51 AM
The 9th is still a hard pill for me to swallow. I just can't get into it at all. It probably wouldn't matter who conducted it because it's the music itself that I'm having problems with. I listened to it again a week or so ago and things fared better, but not by much. It's still an ugly ear sore.

mm hmm ;)

I could go on about the 8th though,... that is such a good cd,... I think the 9th starts off well like the 8th but then gets hysterical. Both have that misterioso opening though, but the 8th just carries out the feeling into a great '60s Symphony.

I finally got the VC on but stopped it when I recalled the opening, with that certain slapping sound that Schuman was fond of. I just didn't have the 30 minutes.