William Schuman (1910-1992)

Started by vandermolen, June 26, 2007, 11:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Symphonies 3/5/8 (Sony)

Got around to No.3 last night, and will have to compare to the DG later. No.3 is such a good, solid Symphony, so very much like Harris's 3rd, yet more traditionally structured. The brooding opening truly opens up the midland vistas of a semi-tragic nation. Though I somewhat prefer the Sony Harris, I hear the same orchestral placement here, and I wonder if the DG sound is a bit more integrated. Anyhow, the music is tops! (as you know)

I would really be bold to get the Albany No.4. I did enjoy the OLD version, but a new 4th, with Miller, must be something.

So far, Schuman is shaping up as my favorite go to Symphonist of the time. 3-4 and 6-8 are all great monuments (especially 6-7), great slabs of...

oh, I've got nothing to say :-[ ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on May 26, 2012, 06:58:55 AM
Symphonies 3/5/8 (Sony)

Got around to No.3 last night, and will have to compare to the DG later. No.3 is such a good, solid Symphony, so very much like Harris's 3rd, yet more traditionally structured. The brooding opening truly opens up the midland vistas of a semi-tragic nation. Though I somewhat prefer the Sony Harris, I hear the same orchestral placement here, and I wonder if the DG sound is a bit more integrated. Anyhow, the music is tops! (as you know)

I would really be bold to get the Albany No.4. I did enjoy the OLD version, but a new 4th, with Miller, must be something.

So far, Schuman is shaping up as my favorite go to Symphonist of the time. 3-4 and 6-8 are all great monuments (especially 6-7), great slabs of...

oh, I've got nothing to say :-[ ;D

Bernstein's first go-around with Schuman's 3rd is much, much better than his remake IMHO. There's a youthful intensity about this performance that cannot be bettered. I thought Schwarz's performance of the 3rd was overall weak and lacked that emotional drive that Bernstein had. Schwarz also cannot better Miller's performance of the 4th on Albany. Bernstein also owns the Symphony for Strings and the 8th. As I have said many times, I'm grateful for Schwarz, but wished that he had given his performances more energy. That said, Schwarz did provide us with many well-performed extras like Prayer for a Time of War and Night Journey. I always wished Bernstein would have conducted Credendum, but Miller's on Albany is excellent. Ormandy's is very good too but in mono.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2012, 07:45:18 AM
Bernstein's first go-around with Schuman's 3rd is much, much better than his remake IMHO. There's a youthful intensity about this performance that cannot be bettered. I thought Schwarz's performance of the 3rd was overall weak and lacked that emotional drive that Bernstein had. Schwarz also cannot better Miller's performance of the 4th on Albany. Bernstein also owns the Symphony for Strings and the 8th. As I have said many times, I'm grateful for Schwarz, but wished that he had given his performances more energy. That said, Schwarz did provide us with many well-performed extras like Prayer for a Time of War and Night Journey. I always wished Bernstein would have conducted Credendum, but Miller's on Albany is excellent. Ormandy's is very good too but in mono.

I have a soft spot for that Delos 5th,... back in the day, haha,... the sound is exemplary!

And you're really making me want that new 4th. ;)

btw- I have the giant 7th with... is it Abramaval?,.. which is much better than the one on NewWorld (with Balada); the sound is old, but vivid. The NewWorld has an cool, icy sound, though, that works well with this music. 6-7 could use Modern Transcendence. 6, of course, has only Ormandy, alas (though there's nothing wrong with this mono recording).

Still, it's the 8th that haunts me right now.

Mountain Goat

Karl Henning

Have you been reading the book, John?  What are your thoughts?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on July 05, 2012, 10:43:48 AM
Have you been reading the book, John?  What are your thoughts?

Hey Karl, I'm afraid I haven't. I haven't actually had the chance to read much lately. I've been listening more than reading. It's very hard for me to just sit down with a book. I suppose I just don't have the discipline, but my ADD from childhood has also been nagging away at me for quite some time.

Karl Henning

Well, whenever you get the chance. We're interested : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 02, 2010, 06:48:13 AM
Slatkin never recorded Schuman's "Symphony No. 3." He recorded "Symphony No. 10," but I can't find anything about an alleged "Symphony No. 3" recording. Anyway, his performance of "Symphony No. 10" is on RCA.

Personally, I'm not fond of Slatkin, so I'm not too interested in hearing his Schuman performance. Here is the cover:

I remember this back in the day, but I just got it again. The first movement of the 10th wasn't what I remembered, but the slow movement is quite majestic. Still, the RCA recording seems a touch lontano.

I also got the three pieces for horn and orchestra, which is on an old NewWorld disc with Crumb's 'Haunted Landscape'. These pieces are in the best traditions of the house, and I find them mighty impressive.

cilgwyn

Made a cdr of his 4th,5th & Seventh Symphonies out of my cds,so I can listen to them in order,without the distraction of other pieces (however wonderful!). Schuman certainly gets my vote for greatest American symphonies;although I hate comparisons.Really,I do!!! ;D Unlike some critics,I can't really find anything much wrong with his Fourth & like someone else on this thread (I forget who) I think I prefer it to the more famous third. But then again,I love both! Unlike some American symphonists,particularly Roy Harris,there is a lot of variety in these symphonies. In fact,you only to have to listen to a few minutes of Schuman to see (hear) what's wrong with you're average Harris symphony. Some marvellous,brooding slow movements & exciting orchestration,particularly in the Sixth. Wow! I just can't understand why the Americans aren't performing these in their concert halls!
But that's just me of course!! ;D

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 12, 2013, 01:56:37 PM
. Some marvellous,brooding slow movements & exciting orchestration,particularly in the Sixth. Wow! I just can't understand why the Americans aren't performing these in their concert halls!

Chicago Symphony is playing the 6th next season (under Slatkin). Maybe a revival in the works? I certainly plan to be there.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

NJ Joe

Based on this post, Bernstein's NYPO recording of 3, 5, and 8 has just been added to my wish list.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jersey Joe on February 12, 2013, 05:41:17 PM
Based on this post, Bernstein's NYPO recording of 3, 5, and 8 has just been added to my wish list.

It's a damn fine recording. Probably one of my favorite recordings of an American composers music. No joke. It's that good.

lescamil

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2013, 05:06:32 PM
Oh dear, not Slatkin. ::)

Say what you want about him, but his Schuman 3rd is outstanding.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Mirror Image

Quote from: lescamil on February 12, 2013, 06:32:07 PM
Say what you want about him, but his Schuman 3rd is outstanding.

I didn't know Slatkin recorded Schuman's 3rd. News to me.

lescamil

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2013, 07:11:30 PM
I didn't know Slatkin recorded Schuman's 3rd. News to me.

He hasn't. I recorded it off SymphonyCast years ago. It was a live performance with the LA Phil. I've heard talk that there is another recording on a limited release CD, but haven't actually seen it.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

snyprrr

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 12, 2013, 01:56:37 PM
Made a cdr of his 4th,5th & Seventh Symphonies out of my cds,so I can listen to them in order,without the distraction of other pieces (however wonderful!). Schuman certainly gets my vote for greatest American symphonies;although I hate comparisons.Really,I do!!! ;D Unlike some critics,I can't really find anything much wrong with his Fourth & like someone else on this thread (I forget who) I think I prefer it to the more famous third. But then again,I love both! Unlike some American symphonists,particularly Roy Harris,there is a lot of variety in these symphonies. In fact,you only to have to listen to a few minutes of Schuman to see (hear) what's wrong with you're average Harris symphony. Some marvellous,brooding slow movements & exciting orchestration,particularly in the Sixth. Wow! I just can't understand why the Americans aren't performing these in their concert halls!
But that's just me of course!! ;D

Schumania!

cilgwyn

Yes! And,unlike the Roy Harris thread,no need to make dozens of posts along the lines of,"Did he compose anything as good as No3?".....thank goodness!!! ::) :( ;D
Still like Harris's Sixth,though,and.....(contd on p.982 of the Roy Harris thread!!! :( :laugh: ;D)

Schumania,indeed!! :)

snyprrr

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 13, 2013, 03:38:09 AM
Yes! And,unlike the Roy Harris thread,no need to make dozens of posts along the lines of,"Did he compose anything as good as No3?".....thank goodness!!! ::) :( ;D
Still like Harris's Sixth,though,and.....(contd on p.982 of the Roy Harris thread!!! :( :laugh: ;D)

Schumania,indeed!! :)

Haha, yea, no problems here, haha! choo! choo!

Karl Henning

snypsss, you out there?

Have you heard the Schuman third quartet?  Any thoughts?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA