William Schuman (1910-1992)

Started by vandermolen, June 26, 2007, 11:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Excellent news, Velimir. I'm sure it was a great concert. Schuman's 6th is great. Granted, it's been quite some time since I've heard it. It would nice if Slatkin recorded a whole Schuman symphony cycle. I know, I know...dreaming yet again. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Velimir on April 20, 2014, 08:23:13 PM
I was at this concert last night:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Leonard Slatkin, conductor
Anne Akiko Meyers, violinist
Barber: School for Scandal Overture
Schuman: Symphony No. 6
Bates: Violin Concerto
Gershwin: An American in Paris

The whole concert was great, but this being the Schuman thread, I'm going to restrict myself to the performance of the 6th Symphony. Slatkin gave a brief talk about the piece, with "what to listen for" examples played by the orchestra. He also made a statement in favor of playing not only more Schuman but also other composers of his period and ilk (Piston, Mennin, Hanson and the like). With that, I can heartily agree.

The performance was excellent. There was some great solo work from flute and timpani, indeed from pretty much every part of the orchestra, with the brass giving their usual industrial-strength efforts. Slatkin's control over the structure was solid throughout, with a very strong feeling of buildup especially in the second half towards the desperate-sounding climactic peaks and valleys before the whole thing subsided into a chilly ending.

One interesting thing I noticed was the clash of orchestral sections in some parts, overlapping and contending in rhythm, which had a sort of proto-Elliott Carter sound. This was one of the things Slatkin had highlighted in his preliminary examples.

The sold-out audience was very enthusiastic about this tough but great American symphony. I was sitting in my favorite place behind the orchestra, and got the full force of brass and percussion. Could a Schuman revival be in the works? One can only hope.

Très cool!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Velimir on April 20, 2014, 08:23:13 PM
I was at this concert last night:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Leonard Slatkin, conductor
Anne Akiko Meyers, violinist
Barber: School for Scandal Overture
Schuman: Symphony No. 6
Bates: Violin Concerto
Gershwin: An American in Paris

The whole concert was great, but this being the Schuman thread, I'm going to restrict myself to the performance of the 6th Symphony. Slatkin gave a brief talk about the piece, with "what to listen for" examples played by the orchestra. He also made a statement in favor of playing not only more Schuman but also other composers of his period and ilk (Piston, Mennin, Hanson and the like). With that, I can heartily agree.

The performance was excellent. There was some great solo work from flute and timpani, indeed from pretty much every part of the orchestra, with the brass giving their usual industrial-strength efforts. Slatkin's control over the structure was solid throughout, with a very strong feeling of buildup especially in the second half towards the desperate-sounding climactic peaks and valleys before the whole thing subsided into a chilly ending.

One interesting thing I noticed was the clash of orchestral sections in some parts, overlapping and contending in rhythm, which had a sort of proto-Elliott Carter sound. This was one of the things Slatkin had highlighted in his preliminary examples.

The sold-out audience was very enthusiastic about this tough but great American symphony. I was sitting in my favorite place behind the orchestra, and got the full force of brass and percussion. Could a Schuman revival be in the works? One can only hope.

Am most jealous! Coincidentally I am playing my Naxos CD of Schuman's 6th Symphony this evening. How great to see it in concert. I think that it one of the finest and most searching American symphonies. I even dreamt about meeting William Schuman last night!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Did you dream that you were on the panel of What's My Line?, Jeffrey:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 21, 2014, 11:18:12 AM
How great to see it in concert. I think that it one of the finest and most searching American symphonies.

I agree with you. And as usually happens, hearing it live brings added dimensions. Here's the Chicago Tribune's review:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-18/entertainment/ct-cso-slatkin-review-20140419_1_mason-bates-william-schuman-cso-debut
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on April 21, 2014, 11:23:45 AM
Did you dream that you were on the panel of What's My Line?, Jeffrey:)

Hehe. Can't remember Karl but I remember that I was very pleased to meet him and disappointed when I woke up!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Velimir on April 21, 2014, 11:50:48 AM
I agree with you. And as usually happens, hearing it live brings added dimensions. Here's the Chicago Tribune's review:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-18/entertainment/ct-cso-slatkin-review-20140419_1_mason-bates-william-schuman-cso-debut

Thank you for posting the review. It sounds like it was a great concert and the reviewer is right about those great American composers whose work never appear in concert. I greatly admire Leonard Slatkin and was fortunate enough to hear him conduct Copland's Third Symphony at the Proms in London a few years ago (and it was a fine performance). His Vaughan Williams cycle has a lot to commend it too and it was nice to see him championing a British composer. Tonight I am enjoying Schuman's 'New England Tryptich' in versions conducted by Schwarz (Naxos) and Hanson (Mercury). My iPad predictive text feature wanted to write 'Schwarzenegger' instead of 'Schwarz' and I do wonder what Arnie's recording would be like  8).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 21, 2014, 12:45:06 PM
Thank you for posting the review. It sounds like it was a great concert and the reviewer is right about those great American composers whose work never appear in concert. I greatly admire Leonard Slatkin and was fortunate enough to hear him conduct Copland's Third Symphony at the Proms in London a few years ago (and it was a fine performance). His Vaughan Williams cycle has a lot to commend it too and it was nice to see him championing a British composer. Tonight I am enjoying Schuman's 'New England Tryptich' in versions conducted by Schwarz (Naxos) and Hanson (Mercury). My iPad predictive text feature wanted to write 'Schwarzenegger' instead of 'Schwarz' and I do wonder what Arnie's recording would be like  8).

Love New England Triptych. A fine work. The Schwarz is a very good performance. I haven't heard Hanson's, but would like to at some point.

Rons_talking

Tonight I am enjoying Schuman's 'New England Tryptich' in versions conducted by Schwarz (Naxos) and Hanson (Mercury). My iPad predictive text feature wanted to write 'Schwarzenegger' instead of 'Schwarz' and I do wonder what Arnie's recording would be like  8).
[/quote]

I suppose It would be "New England Tricept".

The 6th S is so powerful a work. I'd love to hear it live!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Rons_talking on March 14, 2015, 04:20:44 PM
Tonight I am enjoying Schuman's 'New England Tryptich' in versions conducted by Schwarz (Naxos) and Hanson (Mercury). My iPad predictive text feature wanted to write 'Schwarzenegger' instead of 'Schwarz' and I do wonder what Arnie's recording would be like  8).

I suppose It would be "New England Tricept".

The 6th S is so powerful a work. I'd love to hear it live!

I love Schuman's New England Triptych and that Schwarz performance is very good indeed. Give the Slatkin a listen sometime as well. Very fine performance. Have you heard Bernstein's recording of Symphonies 3, 5, & 8 on Columbia with the NY Philharmonic? Definitely give this recording your attention whenever you get the chance. Smoldering performances! :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 14, 2015, 08:12:52 PM
I love Schuman's New England Triptych and that Schwarz performance is very good indeed. Give the Slatkin a listen sometime as well. Very fine performance. Have you heard Bernstein's recording of Symphonies 3, 5, & 8 on Columbia with the NY Philharmonic? Definitely give this recording your attention whenever you get the chance. Smoldering performances! :)

That Bernstein CD is terrific. I like Ormand's version of No. 6 too, which is my favourite apart from No. 3. Sorry, this question was not aimed at me but thought I'd butt in anyway (am thinking that maybe 'butt' has a different meaning in the USA but perhaps I'm mistaken  8))

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 15, 2015, 12:43:41 AM
That Bernstein CD is terrific. I like Ormand's version of No. 6 too, which is my favourite apart from No. 3. Sorry, this question was not aimed at me but thought I'd butt in anyway (am thinking that maybe 'butt' has a different meaning in the USA but perhaps I'm mistaken  8))

No worries, Jeffrey. :) I haven't heard Ormandy's 6th yet. I'll have to rectify this soon.

Mirror Image

This may be of some interest:

https://www.youtube.com/v/5qyZo2jgnGo

I really wish television shows like this one still exist.

Heck148

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 22, 2014, 05:37:47 PM
Love New England Triptych. A fine work. The Schwarz is a very good performance. I haven't heard Hanson's, but would like to at some point.
for NE Triptych - try the old Mitropoulos/NYPO, or Ormandy/Phila...both very fine -

the middle movement - "When Jesus Wept" - features a wonderful duet for bassoon and oboe...NYPO features Wm Polisi and Harold Gomberg, respectively, the Philadelphia features Bernard Garfield and John DeLancie...all great players....
I feel lucky that I've gotten to perform this wonderful piece several times...the Chester passages[mvt III] are great fun, and quite a technical challenge [very high tessitura, very fast]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Heck148 on May 24, 2016, 01:29:34 PM
for NE Triptych - try the old Mitropoulos/NYPO, or Ormandy/Phila...both very fine -

the middle movement - "When Jesus Wept" - features a wonderful duet for bassoon and oboe...NYPO features Wm Polisi and Harold Gomberg, respectively, the Philadelphia features Bernard Garfield and John DeLancie...all great players....
I feel lucky that I've gotten to perform this wonderful piece several times...the Chester passages[mvt III] are great fun, and quite a technical challenge [very high tessitura, very fast]

I'll check out the Ormandy if it isn't too old of a recording. Thanks for your suggestion. It's a great work.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2016, 06:12:25 AM

Thanks for finding this.
I agree, I wish there were. If you want to know why there aren't look at the discussion on 10 Fav Composers. A culture dedicated to denying there is such a thing as "serious music" or that some music can be great art, or that anyone who thinks so is (insert what James gets called here)  will not support a program like this.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2016, 06:12:25 AM

Looks very interesting and more revelatory that his appearance on 'What's my Line?' (also available on You Tube). I'll watch the above video properly when I have time. Thank you for posting John. 😀

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on May 24, 2016, 07:34:05 PM
Thanks for finding this.
I agree, I wish there were. If you want to know why there aren't look at the discussion on 10 Fav Composers. A culture dedicated to denying there is such a thing as "serious music" or that some music can be great art, or that anyone who thinks so is (insert what James gets called here)  will not support a program like this.

You're welcome, Ken. I'm not going to launch into a debate with you about our culture, but my line of thinking here is that if there was more exposure to classical music, then perhaps it will bring in some new listeners. Exposure is the key.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 25, 2016, 12:49:11 AM
Looks very interesting and more revelatory that his appearance on 'What's my Line?' (also available on You Tube). I'll watch the above video properly when I have time. Thank you for posting John. 😀

My pleasure, Jeffrey. Yeah, I've see that What's My Line? show with Schuman on it and it's quite something see to a composer on game show.

Heck148

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2016, 06:51:14 PM
I'll check out the Ormandy if it isn't too old of a recording. Thanks for your suggestion. It's a great work.
late Ormandy/Phila - when they started recording for RCA - late 60s....I heard them play it live @ Eastman Theater in Rochester...marvelous.