Contemporary Symphonists

Started by Grazioso, March 28, 2011, 10:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Quote from: lescamil on March 29, 2011, 12:39:31 AM
Don't you mean the Dux recording with the Double Concerto? I think only some string quartets of his are on Naxos. Also, here's to hoping more of Meyer's works get recorded.

Thanks, corrected (I guess the x's in the names of the labels somehow provided for the interference).

BTW, there was quite a bit of Meyer's stuff on the German label "ProViva" - including many string quartets (in fact, I think that may have been the complete set at that point, but he has composed quite a few more since then). Outrageously priced. Plus a piece or two on Olympia.

karlhenning

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2011, 12:36:08 AM
Doesn't he mean the 'Los Angeles' of the title, though deriving from and inspired by the commission, to refer to angels.

Yes, the name of the city descends from the original Mission, which was devoted to Mary by her title (in Catholic devotions) of Queen of the Angels.

Grazioso

Quote from: lescamil on March 28, 2011, 10:47:02 AM
I'll throw in another good word for Kalevi Aho. Speaking of which, his 15th symphony (!) is getting its world premiere this Friday and it will be broadcasted on Radio 3. I am personally extremely excited, having heard most of the other symphonies and I feel that he is one of the most consistent composers today. Aho has written a TON of music and, from what I have heard, he has had very few "duds" that fail to impress, even his early works that reek of Shostakovich.

Which Aho symphonies would you most recommend. I only have the BIS disc of 2 & 7.

Quote from: Velimir on March 28, 2011, 10:03:13 PM
Generally quite tonal in the style of post-Sibelius Nordic composers, with the "mystery and nature-lyricism" as noted by erato...he also has quite a harsh and "military" side, reminiscent of Prokofiev or Hindemith, which manifests in pieces like the 4th Symphony.

Sounds like just my thing, and I'm happy to learn that CPO will be issuing a box set of his complete symphonies and concertos soon.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

lescamil

Quote from: Grazioso on March 29, 2011, 05:38:35 AM
Which Aho symphonies would you most recommend. I only have the BIS disc of 2 & 7.

BIS has done a wonderful series of his soon-to-be-complete symphonies. The later symphonies are the ones I would most recommend. There is a wonderful new disk with his Symphony No. 13 and Piano Concerto No. 2 that is perhaps the best introduction to his music in general. Both of those works are great pieces that deserve to enter the standard repertoire. Also, his disk entitled "Rituals" with his Book of Questions, Viola Concerto, and Symphony No. 14 (all conceived as a cycle of works) is another great one, and it shows a composer that knows how to deal with a small chamber orchestra, rather than the huge orchestra that he so often uses. Another great disk is the one with his Symphony No. 1, Hiljaisuus (Silence), and his Violin Concerto. The Symphony No. 1 is not mature Aho, but still well worth looking at, for it is a nice homage to Shostakovich, with all of its irony and wittiness.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Grazioso

Another interesting contemporary symphonist: Gloria Coates (1938-), American born, lives in Germany, 15 symphonies to date, also a painter.

I like how composer/critic Kyle Gann describes her symphonies on a Naxos release:

"Put any thirty seconds of this disc into a motion picture soundtrack, and it would be associated with something cataclysmic--the overthrow of an empire, massive destruction by alien hordes, a town destroyed by an erupting volcano. And yet there's little personal emotion in Coates's music..."

http://www.youtube.com/v/bSQe7Zn8rfU
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle