Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahler10th

I watched the Tuesday afternoon stream from Kings Chapel.  I listened and enjoyed - in particular, the second piece the soloists played.  The last piece gave me mind of something very 'American', which I also liked.  The voices introducing the pieces were not very well heard, but the music was clear.  Much of what I heard is the kind of music that makes me think, and that does it for me!  Thanks for the link Karl, it was all good, I'll be mindful of future links.   :D

Karl Henning

Quote from: mahler10th on April 16, 2024, 09:03:09 AMI watched the Tuesday afternoon stream from Kings Chapel.  I listened and enjoyed - in particular, the second piece the soloists played.  The last piece gave me mind of something very 'American', which I also liked.  The voices introducing the pieces were not very well heard, but the music was clear.  Much of what I heard is the kind of music that makes me think, and that does it for me!  Thanks for the link Karl, it was all good, I'll be mindful of future links.  :D
Thanks sae much for tuning in, Johnny!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 16, 2024, 07:46:52 AMThe band:
Peter H. Bloom, Carol Epple, Dan Zupan & Dave Zox. Peter & Carol have been core members for an age, so at the very least they haven't tired of playing my music. Dan and Dave are new recruits, and they're enthusiasm for the music has been highly gratifying.
Coming in November:

Nostalgia Trips

Down Along the Canal to Minerva Road
Jazz for Nostalgic Squirrels
Music for the Un-Hip Hop
A new piece by Pam Marshall

And I'm toying with the idea of writing a short piece, Nostalgia Ain't What It Used to Be
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: mahler10th on April 16, 2024, 09:03:09 AMI watched the Tuesday afternoon stream from Kings Chapel.  I listened and enjoyed - in particular, the second piece the soloists played.  The last piece gave me mind of something very 'American', which I also liked.  The voices introducing the pieces were not very well heard, but the music was clear.  Much of what I heard is the kind of music that makes me think, and that does it for me!  Thanks for the link Karl, it was all good, I'll be mindful of future links.  :D
The program was:

The Argument for Harmony

Music of Karl Henning

Fuchsia Minor, Op. 179a (première)
I Dreamt of Reconciliation and Harmony, Op. 171 (Boston première)
Waiting on the Italian Paperwork (Throwing Vermicelli at the Wall), Op. 177 (première)
Nun of the Above, Op. 144e (première)

Peter H. Bloom & Carol Epple, flutes
Dan Zupan, alto saxophone
Dave Zox, contrabass

Here's a funny story: the title, Waiting on the Italian Paperwork, came from a conversation with fellow composer Chas Turner, who is (still) in the process of repatriating to Italy. Peter Bloom's Aardvark Jazz Orchestra colleague, Dan Zupan has a grandmother who still lives in her natal village in Italia. Dan has been in the process of establishing Italian citizenship, and has thus himself been waiting on Italian paperwork. That spooky coincidence was one lure which won Dan over into preparing the piece. This morning, Dan writes:

I have to share this....

Playing the breakaway hit waiting on my italian paperwork  yesterday was heard by the muses......!!!
I received my certification paperwork this morning allowing me to get my italian passport!!!!

The vermicelli stuck this time !!!

Thank you Karl and all for the musical alchemy!!!!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

I've made free to vent when I've felt discouraged by all the Calls which come up empty, e.g. so I want to counterbalance that with how deeply gratified I am that four colleagues here in the Ensemble are such enthusiastic supporters of my work. Especially the newcomers Dan and Dave. I have no monetary inducement to attract them, they basically allowed themselves to be recruited through Peter's fervent advocacy on my music's behalf.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 18, 2024, 11:01:23 AMI've made free to vent when I've felt discouraged by all the Calls which come up empty, e.g. so I want to counterbalance that with how deeply gratified I am that four colleagues here in the Ensemble are such enthusiastic supporters of my work. Especially the newcomers Dan and Dave. I have no monetary inducement to attract them, they basically allowed themselves to be recruited through Peter's fervent advocacy on my music's behalf.

In one of Josef von Eichendorff's novels (Aus dem Leben eines Taugenichts), a character mentions that the true Volksmusik is played by a member of "the Folk," (i.e. not aristocrats) for the love of the music itself.

That would seem to be what we have here!   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 16, 2024, 01:30:48 PMComing in November:

Nostalgia Trips

Down Along the Canal to Minerva Road
Jazz for Nostalgic Squirrels
Music for the Un-Hip Hop
A new piece by Pam Marshall

And I'm toying with the idea of writing a short piece, Nostalgia Ain't What It Used to Be.
Today I made a start on Nostalgia Ain't What It Used to Be
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA