Compositions of a similiar mood/taste

Started by opel, April 03, 2011, 03:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opel

I'm a huge fan of classical music ever since I started to play classical guitar (6 years ago).
I'm especially amazed by 16th - 18th century musicians.

To the point; recently I've been exploring the classical genre after hours of Chopin, Mozart and Bach I stumbled over Dmitri Shostakovich.
There is this one piece I really enjoy, it's
String Quartet No. 8 In C Minor, Op. 110: III. Allegretto
It's the number 2 piece on The Very Best Of Shostakovich

I was wondering if any of you could tip me about compositions of a similiar mood / sound / taste - if you know what I mean.

edit: Here is a youtube link to this piece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OtqABpuV-s
/Tom

Scarpia

Quote from: opel on April 03, 2011, 03:13:10 AM
I'm a huge fan of classical music ever since I started to play classical guitar (6 years ago).
I'm especially amazed by 16th - 18th century musicians.

To the point; recently I've been exploring the classical genre after hours of Chopin, Mozart and Bach I stumbled over Dmitri Shostakovich.
There is this one piece I really enjoy, it's
String Quartet No. 8 In C Minor, Op. 110: III. Allegretto
It's the number 2 piece on The Very Best Of Shostakovich

I was wondering if any of you could tip me about compositions of a similiar mood / sound / taste - if you know what I mean.

edit: Here is a youtube link to this piece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OtqABpuV-s
/Tom

That piece catches Shostakovich in a playful/ironic mood.  (His other mood is generally apocalyptic.)  You might be attracted to Shostakovich Symphony No 9.  It was war time and the Soviets expected something epic for Shostakovich's 9th and he provided them just the opposite.  You might want to explore all of Shostakovich's string quartets,

Maciek

I think the Prelude no. 8 from Preludes and Fugues op. 87 might be the sort of thing you're looking for.

Or try the Allegretto (4th mvt.) from his Piano Trio no. 2, for instance.

And of course I second Scarpia's suggestion: going through the other string quartets might be a good idea.

eyeresist

MishaK

Quote from: eyeresist on April 04, 2011, 06:13:54 PM
Perhaps symphonies 6 and 15 as well.

Yes, 15 is a great suggestion. Though with Shostakovich darkness always lurks underneath that playful surface. The ending of 15 is positively eerie when done properly.