Holst's The Planets

Started by Elgarian, April 27, 2012, 07:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Olias on July 29, 2022, 02:05:52 PM
That's okay, it's why we have so many recordings to choose from.  :)  I also like the Bernstein despite the performance errors, and also the Dutoit.  Considering all the ones you've heard, have you ever put together a "perfect" version based on your personal favorites of each movement?

For me, the perfect version already exists: Dutoit.

I could do the mix'n'match thing from different recordings, but that would make me frustrated because of the varying sonics of each recording. I like to hear my Planets in one go, all from the same place (and time).

LKB

Tbh, l may well have already posted in this thread and have forgotten, my apologies if that is the case.

I've enjoyed Andre Previn's 1974 EMI recording with the LSO for over 40 years now. While some of the spot-miking is a distraction, it remains a demonstration of what mature analog recording techniques could accomplish before the digital tide rolled in. And the oboes are a treat, authentic British oboe tone before it started to become more Germanic.
Mit Fl├╝geln, die ich mir errungen...

Olias

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 29, 2022, 03:03:22 PM
For me, the perfect version already exists: Dutoit.

I could do the mix'n'match thing from different recordings, but that would make me frustrated because of the varying sonics of each recording. I like to hear my Planets in one go, all from the same place (and time).

Makes sense.  I do enjoy the Dutoit too.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

vandermolen

I've always liked this CD - also for the other works:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: vandermolen on August 04, 2022, 10:17:05 PM
I've always liked this CD - also for the other works:


That's a great CD. The couplings are fabulous.

relm1

Sorry for the short notice but for those of you who want more Planets, Houston Symphony is playing it Saturday night (Nov 12) and there is an option to purchase live streaming tickets here:
https://houstonsymphony.org/tickets/concerts/holsts-the-planets/

geralmar



I have that recording somewhere in my collection, although without those couplings.

My "imprint" version, however, was the ancient Sargent/LSO mono recording on the Decca/Richmond L.P:


1965/54

As much as I still like the recording, the sound is too faded to merit a recommendation or even consideration.  And I suppose it's worth mentioning that the Horse Head Nebula is not a planet.  (Still my favorite Planets record jacket, anticipating Star Wars credits).

relm1

#847
Some of you have been hoping for a new recording of Holst's Planets.  Not to worry, recording companies heard you and have released this new recording from Daniel Harding and the Bavarian Radio Symphony.  What is interesting to me is some of these timings are quite slow.  This might be the slowest Planets and that has piqued my interest. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-planets/1681112088

relm1

Quote from: relm1 on April 08, 2023, 06:03:43 AMSome of you have been hoping for a new recording of Holst's Planets.  Not to worry, recording companies heard you and have released this new recording from Daniel Harding and the Bavarian Radio Symphony.  What is interesting to me is some of these timings are quite slow.  This might be the slowest Planets and that has piqued my interest. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-planets/1681112088

This is probably the most "classical" version of Planets I've heard.  It generally lacks bite.  There seems to be an emphasis on lyricism and quite a bit of reverb making it sound like a concert hall rather than clean acoustics of Dutoit/Montreal which have a perfect balance of detail and warmth.  I prefer my Planets to be more radical and less mellow.  The balance is quite odd as well.  Tam-tam, tambourine, organ, harps, tubular bells are practically inaudible.  Trumpets aren't very prominent either when they really should be (Mars and Uranus).  Overall, this won't displace my favorites but perhaps people who prefer a more mellow traversal might enjoy this recording more than I did.  It was overall a good recording, it's just that there are so, so many recordings and some others are better.