Music for Passiontide & Easter

Started by Que, April 09, 2011, 12:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

new erato made me another recommendation BTW....

Should be on this year's shopping list! :)

Quote from: The new erato on April 24, 2016, 05:13:13 AM
Fabulous disc:

[asin]B01BZ2ITEK[/asin]

Those Neapolitans really knew how to write colorful and jubilant passions!  ;)

Spineur

This is going to be my program this year

[asin]B002UQ9UHQ[/asin]

[asin]B00IRQBTYA[/asin]

[asin]B000026035[/asin]

I'll also try to watch Corpus Christi, Arte TV documentary, although it is really vert long.

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Another vote for Karl Henning's ethereal 'Passion according to St Join' - my favourite work by him I think.

And also:

J B Foerster's Symphony 4 'Easter Eve'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2017, 12:33:53 PM
Another vote for Karl Henning's ethereal 'Passion according to St Join' - my favourite work by him I think.

And also:

J B Foerster's Symphony 4 'Easter Eve'.

Same here (re: Karl Henning's St-John Passion). Pulled it out of the shelf yesterday. My notes tell me I last listened to it March 24, 2016. I long for a professional or good amateur company to take the work in their repertory. I recall mentioning how the emotional second part perfectly complements/ strongly contrasts with the hieratic first part. A classic.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 03, 2017, 01:09:15 PM
Same here (re: Karl Henning's St-John Passion). Pulled it out of the shelf yesterday. My notes tell me I last listened to it March 24, 2016. I long for a professional or good amateur company to take the work in their repertory. I recall mentioning how the emotional second part perfectly complements/ strongly contrasts with the hieratic first part. A classic.
You alerted me to Karl's fine score. Thank you.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Jommelli: Miserere [Ubaldi]....

A good work with interesting and varied musical content and a fine role for the solo soprano arias [fine duets there also]. The scoring for the accompaniment is sparse but that accentuates the vocal content, and thus the text.

Karl Henning

"Papa's" Seven Last Words (don't look surprised)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wakefield

The wonderful project called "All of Bach" has released a new Johannes-Passion conducted by Jos van Veldhoven, and performed by his Netherlands Bach Society:

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-245/

Just in time!  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Que

Quote from: Gordo on March 26, 2018, 03:58:07 AM
The wonderful project called "All of Bach" has released a new Johannes-Passion conducted by Jos van Veldhoven, and performed by his Netherlands Bach Society:

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-245/

Just in time!  :)

This may sound totally incredulous coming from a Dutchman, but: the Dutch have a very special relationship with Bach...

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on March 26, 2018, 08:23:47 AM
This may sound totally incredulous coming from a Dutchman, but: the Dutch have a very special relationship with Bach...

Q

Yes, it's odd that, I remember once meeting someone who freelances in baroque orchestras and she talked about the way that, in Holland, a Bach concert will sell out even in some small town in the middle of nowhere. She'd done a lot of work for Leusink, who she argued had become rich by exploiting this trait of the Dutch (and, she said, by exploiting the musicians who work for him.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

Being away from home right now I cannot listen to anything. But I'll be back Friday, in time to listen to the Passion according to St-John by Karl Henning  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: André on March 26, 2018, 01:11:06 PM
Being away from home right now I cannot listen to anything. But I'll be back Friday, in time to listen to the Passion according to St-John by Karl Henning  ;D

+1 a fine work.

Also J.B. Foerster's Easter Eve Symphony.

Wakefield

Well, probably this will sound irrelevant coming from a Chilean, literally living at the end of the world   ;D, but today I don't have any doubt that the best performers of Bach's music are Dutchmen. As an aside, many people criticize Leusink, but IMO the guy is a practical genius, and all we --fans of Ancient Music- have a great debt with him...  :)   
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Marcabru on March 26, 2018, 05:09:22 PM
Is this whom you refer to: Pieter Jan Leusink?

Yes, probably Brilliant Classics hadn't been possible without the huge inicial success of the Bach Edition, and the sacred cantatas performed by Leusink and his people, recorded under conditions previously unthinkable.

P.S.: I don't know from where came that "van".  :D

-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on March 26, 2018, 01:11:06 PM

Quote from: vandermolen on March 26, 2018, 01:35:20 PM
+1 a fine work.

I appreciate your kindness, gents.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

Half a dozen or so of Biber's Mystery Sonatas are inspired by Easter ideas. I'm enjoying listening to  Sirkka Liisa Kaakinen Pilch more than most violinists because she knows avoid the trap of making it sound something played by a gypsy in a restaurant. She also judges tempo well, so that I can grasp the meaning of the music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mr. Minnow

Christo

Quote from: Que on March 26, 2018, 08:23:47 AMThis may sound totally incredulous coming from a Dutchman, but: the Dutch have a very special relationship with Bach...

Q
We do, sort of civil religion. Sung the St. Matthew Passion twice this year, among the many performances in Amsterdam and Utrecht only (there must be hundreds? of them).   :-X
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948