Music for Passiontide & Easter

Started by Que, April 09, 2011, 12:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

No surprise, really:

"Papa's" Die sieben letzten Worte & Stabat Mater.

Below the green lemon!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Schutz: Auferstehungshistorie Hillier

This is a very engaging work that is just so easy to listen to, with a wonderful storytelling aspect to it. The excellent vocal contributions from all concerned certainly help, particularly those sublime sopranos, along with the very sensitive instrumental accompaniments. Everything is well balanced in the recording and it is recorded in excellent sound and in a very benign acoustic.

MickeyBoy

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2022, 02:47:14 AM
I rather liked this LP (I have a CD version as well)
Although they are both on Supraphon and I've owned them for years/decades, I've only just realised that they are not the same performance!  ::)

Actually I've realised that I do own Smetacek's recording on CD as well (there's also a recording on Naxos).

Take a listen to Buster's digitisations and let us know what you think. Link: https://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2022/04/foerster-easter-symphony-corrected-files.html
...the sound of a low whisper

foxandpeng

Hi all... apologies if this is the wrong place for this question...

Might I tap your not-inconsiderable knowledge to assist a novice?

It's pretty obvious that you folk have a wide and deep grasp of early music (earlier than I know anything about), that comes from a 'spiritual' perspective. I really very much enjoy an element of what for me would be best described as 'night music' - music with a reflective or meditative nature, probably religious in character, for relaxation in the small hours. Polyphony, maybe? I don't know what I don't know, tbh. I enjoy some Gregorian chant, plainsong, the likes of Rautavaara's Vigilia... but could do with some recs. I'm not Catholic or Orthodox, so some of the masses do little for me, but the sound world works for me. I think I like some of the psalm settings better than excursi on RC dogma. Very happy to be led, however.

Do you have any pointers for me?
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 17, 2023, 02:39:05 PMHi all... apologies if this is the wrong place for this question...

It's pretty obvious that you folk have a wide and deep grasp of early music (earlier than I know anything about), that comes from a 'spiritual' perspective. I really very much enjoy an element of what for me would be best described as 'night music' - music with a reflective or meditative nature, probably religious in character, for relaxation in the small hours. Polyphony, maybe? I don't know what I don't know, tbh. I enjoy some Gregorian chant, plainsong, the likes of Rautavaara's Vigilia... but could do with some recs. I'm not Catholic or Orthodox, so some of the masses do little for me, but the sound world works for me. I think I like some of the psalm settings better than excursi on RC dogma. Very happy to be led, however.

My friend Ivan Moody wrote a Passion and Resurrection in traditional style, recorded by Red Byrd on Hyperion (CDA66999) which is lovely.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Papy Oli

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 17, 2023, 02:39:05 PMHi all... apologies if this is the wrong place for this question...

These two might appeal:

- Arvo Part - Kanon Pokajanen (ECM)
- Tallis - Spem in Alium, Salve Intemerata (Summerly, Naxos)
Olivier

foxandpeng

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 18, 2023, 12:51:32 AMThese two might appeal:

- Arvo Part - Kanon Pokajanen (ECM)
- Tallis - Spem in Alium, Salve Intemerata (Summerly, Naxos)

Brilliant. Thank you. I am starting pretty much from a baseline of ignorance beyond Rautavaara's Vigilia and a few other pieces, so this is great.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Jo498

If something appropriate for the liturgical season:
Lamentations (choral, also called Lamentationes Hieremiae Prophetae or "Tenebrae" or "Tenebres" because the churches were darkened in these services during Holy Week) by Tallis, Lassus and others.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

DaveF

I've probably mentioned this previously on this thread (too lazy to check) but my no.1 favourite bit of Passiontide music (even more so than the Bach Passions) is Buxtehude's Membra Jesu nostri.  On paper it sounds unremittingly grim - 7 short cantatas, each a meditation on a different part of the body of the crucified Christ - but it covers a great range of emotion - grim, yes, but predominantly reflective, gentle and tender.  (It's a concert programmer's nightmare, incidentally, since 6 of the 7 cantatas are 2 violins & continuo, whereas the 6th, Ad cor, uses a quartet of viols instead.)

The Sixteen do it well.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

foxandpeng

Quote from: Jo498 on March 18, 2023, 01:40:53 AMIf something appropriate for the liturgical season:
Lamentations (choral, also called Lamentationes Hieremiae Prophetae or "Tenebrae" or "Tenebres" because the churches were darkened in these services during Holy Week) by Tallis, Lassus and others.

Thanks, Jo!

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Quote from: DaveF on March 18, 2023, 02:52:25 AMI've probably mentioned this previously on this thread (too lazy to check) but my no.1 favourite bit of Passiontide music (even more so than the Bach Passions) is Buxtehude's Membra Jesu nostri.  On paper it sounds unremittingly grim - 7 short cantatas, each a meditation on a different part of the body of the crucified Christ - but it covers a great range of emotion - grim, yes, but predominantly reflective, gentle and tender.  (It's a concert programmer's nightmare, incidentally, since 6 of the 7 cantatas are 2 violins & continuo, whereas the 6th, Ad cor, uses a quartet of viols instead.)

The Sixteen do it well.

Buxtehude. Membra Jesu nostri. Check. Reflective, gentle and tender sound good.

Thanks!

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 18, 2023, 07:56:20 AMThis is my work ...

Wow! 13 years ago, tomorrow! Where's the time gone?!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: DaveF on March 18, 2023, 02:52:25 AMI've probably mentioned this previously on this thread (too lazy to check) but my no.1 favourite bit of Passiontide music (even more so than the Bach Passions) is Buxtehude's Membra Jesu nostri.  On paper it sounds unremittingly grim - 7 short cantatas, each a meditation on a different part of the body of the crucified Christ - but it covers a great range of emotion - grim, yes, but predominantly reflective, gentle and tender.  (It's a concert programmer's nightmare, incidentally, since 6 of the 7 cantatas are 2 violins & continuo, whereas the 6th, Ad cor, uses a quartet of viols instead.)

The Sixteen do it well.
Thanks. This was completely off my radar.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

foxandpeng

Tolstoy

Roasted Swan

An oldie but a goodie.  The performing style might be somewhat heavier than expected today but for me this recording is a joy mainly because of Wunderlich's presence as the Evangelist

The rest of the soloist line-up is pretty good although Traxel with the tenor arias sounds strained and rather harsh - especially after the golden-toned, ardent and thrilling Wunderlich.

Que

Considering getting this:

I have a serious weak spot for Fiocco (Southern Netherlands), so this would certainly fit the bill.  :D

http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Ramee_RAM2105.html

Roasted Swan

A video of a complete live performance given last week in Somerset by a group of young musicians and choral scholars from Cambridge University of the St. John Passion......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGwdt9_d5LM

pjme

Some Easter/Passiontide snippets....

Rach & Easter

Rare: "Matthijs Vermeulen's arrangement ('Interlude') is part of a larger work he composed in 1930 for a large scale out-door play based on the legend of the Flying Dutchman. The hymn forms the center of the 'Interlude', the corner-pieces are formed by Vermeulen's arrangement of another Gregorian Easter hymn: "Haec dies quam fecit "
https://matthijsvermeulen.nl/en/compositions/symphony/de-vliegende-hollander

A cd series I completely forgot.... Vienna modern masters/ music from six continents

Victimae Paschali Laudes by Bernard Scherr
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2002/Sept02/6continents1999.htm

Henning Kraggerud

Brahmsian

While Catholic Easter may have passed by, Russian Orthodox Easter is approaching.  (Don't think there is a separate thread).

I'll be starting with one of my favourite orchestral works of anything!  The thrilling Russian Easter Overture by Rimsky-Korsakov!

Here, thrillingly performed by Matacic and the Philharmonia Orchestra!