Author Topic: What's going on with the search function here?  (Read 6796 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
What's going on with the search function here?
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:52:44 AM »
Is it only returning one page? That's all I ever seem to get.  If so that seems a shame an serious reduces the value of the archive.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Scarpia

Re: What's going on with the search function here?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:58:21 AM »
Is it only returning one page? That's all I ever seem to get.  If so that seems a shame an serious reduces the value of the archive.

When I search for "search" I get 35 pages.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:07:20 AM »

Keep in mind that the search will automatically limited to the board you are currently at. So it is best to go to the home page before doing a search.

But the search function has admittedly its flaws as long as I can remember - I frequently can't find particular posts with keywords in one go. If nothing helps I use a Google domain search (searching good-music-guide.com/community/).

Q

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:23 AM »
Keep in mind that the search will automatically limited to the board you are currently at. So it is best to go to the home page before doing a search.

Yes, good reminder. Just searched for "Mozart" on the home page and got 35 pages of hits. When I searched the same word on the Opera and Vocal board, it came up with six pages.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:34:10 PM »
Keep in mind that the search will automatically limited to the board you are currently at.

And if you're within a thread, the search will be limited to that thread alone.

So it is best to go to the home page before doing a search.

Or choose the Search option from the menu at the top. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
Sorry for posting this in the wrong place.

I think there is a problem here.

I was looking for one of my old posts. I remembered it contained the word "repose" so I searched for "repose" from the home page. I got 30 responses not including my own post.

The post I was looking for is  Reply #677 on: February 18, 2010, 01:53:44 PM » in the thread on Chopin recordings.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »
I think there is a problem here.

I was looking for one of my old posts. I remembered it contained the word "repose" so I searched for "repose" from the home page. I got 30 responses not including my own post.

The post I was looking for is  Reply #677 on: February 18, 2010, 01:53:44 PM » in the thread on Chopin recordings.

As I said, go to the ("advanced") search page by clicking the link in the menu at the top. There, you can narrow your search down by providing a username, searching within titles only and providing a time-frame to search for, among other things.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:27:16 AM »
As I said, go to the ("advanced") search page by clicking the link in the menu at the top. There, you can narrow your search down by providing a username, searching within titles only and providing a time-frame to search for, among other things.

Yes that may sometimes be helpful. But it's not ideal. The problem is that the system limits itself to one page of search results.

Scarpia

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:52:32 AM »
Yes that may sometimes be helpful. But it's not ideal. The problem is that the system limits itself to one page of search results.

The point is it doesn't