5 (10.6%)
Messiaen
4 (8.5%)
Other
7 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Luke

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 15, 2011, 10:50:24 AM
If "La Mer" doesn't count as a symphony this is a purely semantic poll.   0:)

Agreed, except that, as per

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 16, 2011, 05:50:03 AM
If Alpine is a symphony so is the Sinfonia Domestica.

if La Mer is a symphony so is Iberia, and maybe the Nocturnes too. So Debussy wouldn't be a one symphony guy either  ;)

Scarpia

Quote from: Luke on April 16, 2011, 12:10:43 PMif La Mer is a symphony so is Iberia, and maybe the Nocturnes too. So Debussy wouldn't be a one symphony guy either  ;)

I would reluctantly agree to Iberia (except that I don't really recognize it as music at all, but that's me) but the Nocturnes don't strike me as a symphony because, unlike La Mer, they lack "symphonic" coherence.  They strike me as three independent pieces.

Luke

Agreed on the Nocturnes (my point was that one could make the argument....) but

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 16, 2011, 12:48:17 PM
I would reluctantly agree to Iberia (except that I don't really recognize it as music at all, but that's me)

Wow! That's quite unexpected!

Scarpia

Quote from: Luke on April 16, 2011, 01:05:52 PMWow! That's quite unexpected!

Spanish music has no appeal to me, and Spanish music written by French composer, even less so.  Spanish music written by Russian composers (Rhapsodie Espagniole) even worse!

Gurn Blanston

I see a lot of mention of Chausson's excellent symphony, but no votes to speak of. Sad, very sad. I put my vote where my mouth is though and happily vote for the lovely Opus 20 in Bb. Even though it's French... :P

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Andreas Staier - Dussek Op 65 Sonata in Ab Return to Paris 2nd mvmt - Molto adagio con anima ed espressivo
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Conor71

The Turangalîla is the only one I know out of the list of options so it gets my vote!  :D

Scarpia

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 16, 2011, 01:57:37 PM
I see a lot of mention of Chausson's excellent symphony, but no votes to speak of. Sad, very sad. I put my vote where my mouth is though and happily vote for the lovely Opus 20 in Bb. Even though it's French... :P

Then it's just the two of us.   :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 16, 2011, 02:19:16 PM
Then it's just the two of us.   :)

Kinda scary out here on the edge, eh Scarps?  :o   :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Andreas Staier - Op 35 #1 Sonata in Bb for Fortepiano 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato e maestoso
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

eyeresist

This thread almost makes me wish Kalinnikov had died before he wrote his 2nd :/

Herrmann's seems to be often called "Symphony No. 1", which makes me wonder if there is another one in the archives to be discovered. That would be cool.

I didn't know Webern had written one. Can an eight minute piece really be a symphony? (And is the Yuasa recording any good?)

Anyway, I picked Chausson, especially in the Ansermet performance, which I think has more light and shade than Munch. Get the Australian Eloquence CD of it (with Faure's Penelope prelude and Pelleas et Melisande suite), a delight from start to finish.

Mirror Image

I chose Chausson. I heard this a few years ago and I found to be one of the best symphonies to be written by someone who didn't live long enough to compose more.

ibanezmonster

Messiaen, with Webern in second. But I didn't vote... a couple of them I either haven't heard or it's been way too long since I've listened, so I don't know.

Grazioso

Quote from: eyeresist on April 17, 2011, 07:42:20 PM
This thread almost makes me wish Kalinnikov had died before he wrote his 2nd :/

For shame! But his first is darn good!
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Cato

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 16, 2011, 01:57:37 PM

8)

I mentioned the Chausson early, before it appeared on the list, and so voted for Rott.

And yes, on the Herrmann Symphony: I have seen recordings calling it #1, as if there is a #2.  But no, only one symphony is among his oeuvre.

Alban Berg wrote an analysis of Arnold Schoenberg's Pelleas und Melisande and indicated that it had a symphonic structure.  But similar to the Strauss "symphonies" (Alpine and Domestic), the proper term is still tone-poem.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Velimir on April 15, 2011, 07:10:35 AM
Another symphony poll: your favorite by a composer who for whatever reason (early death, laziness, etc.) only completed one symphony.

In keeping with the spirit, choose only one.

Alexander Krein Symphony No. 1 "After Scriabin."

karlhenning

MDL

Messiaen for me by a country mile. In his Webern book, Malcolm Hayes was fairly dismissive of Webern's Symphony, claiming that its comparative popularity stems from its being called a symphony, rather than, say, Two Pieces for Orchestra, and in his view it's far from Webern's greatest work. Although I like it, I find far more to savour in the Six Pieces for Orchestra or the Variations.

karlhenning

I think it's pretty groovy that Webern is ahead in a poll. Any poll.

DavidW

Quote from: Apollon on April 18, 2011, 11:28:14 AM

If we had a poll who wrote the least amount of music he might pull ahead in that one too. >:D

karlhenning

Quote from: haydnfan on April 18, 2011, 12:02:26 PM
If we had a poll who wrote the least amount of music he might pull ahead in that one too. >:D

Better him than Henning, je-je-je!

Scarpia

Quote from: Apollon on April 18, 2011, 11:28:14 AM

Well, the romantic and neo-romantic vote was divided 7 ways, and Webern captured the entire AC vote.   :D