Naxos recommendations

Started by DavidW, April 16, 2011, 12:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Two things from the histoicals I recommend are Backhaus's pre war Brahms op 118 and Chopin's 3rd Ballade played by Rachmaninov, provided you like the music. Rubinstein's pre war Mazurkas and nocturnes too. The Schnabel Beethoven on Naxos  is good enough, I haven't heard a better transfer of his diabelli variations (though I dislike the performance) So is the Cortot (I especially recommend the Liszt and Webern, and Chopin preludes and etudes)  and Moiseiwitsch (the CD with the two recordings of the Barcarolle is particularly valuable I think, and the Beethoven concerto is valuable especially for the 1st movement cadenza. )

But maybe wait for someone who's more into transfer techniques  than me to make a comment.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Jo498

Historical:
Schnabel's and Weingartner's Beethoven, Bruno Walter's live Fidelio and Don Giovanni (although neither has good sound), Heifetz/Feuermann Brahms double concerto, Heifetz/Toscanini Beethoven concerto + Heifetz/Koussevitzky Brahms concerto

Non-historical
Bartok: Early chamber music with Jando etc. Violin sonatas with Pauk/Jando

Brahms: 4 hand piano series (Frankly, I care only about the "original" works but they are all interesting and done very well - plus I met Christian Köhn several times socially and he is a very agreeable person..)

Buxtehude: Harpsichord music with Wilson, Chamber music with Mortensen and friends (supposedly the discs with Mortensen solo are also good as well as some of the organ and vocal series but I have not heard them)

Dohnanyi: Sextet + Senerade, fantastic music and great recording
Dvorak: string quartets and other chamber music with the Vlach quartet, great for filling gaps and pretty good anyway, if not up with the best recordings by the Smetana, Janacek or the old Vlach and other vintage Czech ensembles
Wind serenade (Oslo), recommended above, very nice disc, maybe even more for the less frequently recorded fillers (Enescu + Janacek)

Franck: piano quintet Levinas/Ludwig

Haydn: The Kodaly quartet series and some of the symphony series are quite and and certainly good enough as fillers, but I was not really impressed by any of them, that is one can usually do considerably better. Exception maybe for the "op.3" which is not by Haydn and therefore not included in most recent recordings; they do a very good job.

Liszt: Arnaldo Cohen with Totentanz etc.

Monteverdi: Madrigals

Mozart: Piano quartets

Reger: Chamber works, if one cares about that stuff

Rossini: Tancredi, Podles Alto arias recital

Shostakovich: 24 Preludes+Fugues and another disk with Sherbakov, Piano quintet + Schnittke, what I have heard of the string quartets is quite good but there are now so many cheap great complete recordings of them, one can probably do better even cheaper

Spohr: Clarinet concertos

Stravinsky: I have two or three of the Craft recordings; very good for lesser known works (and maybe for others, too)

Weber: Symphonies and piano concertos (although one can probably do somewhat better, the fillers of the symphony disc are hard to come by otherwise)

I guess there is a lot more that is at least pretty good and even more I never heard and never will.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Cross posting from Bargains thread:

Per Europadisc, Naxos is significantly raising its suggested retail price in October and this month is effectively "last call" on current Naxos prices. Europadisc is doing a big sale on Naxos recordings now so if you have anything on your wishlist, buy buy buy.

Full explanation: "Unfortunately, Naxos will be increasing their prices significantly from 29 September 2021. We will be continuing our discount sale right through to 14 November, but the discounts will have to apply to the new standard prices from 29 September onwards. We suggest taking advantage of the September prices while you can!

"(for reference, our current standard price of £7.65 for most single Naxos CDs will be increasing to £10.76 from 29 September - an increase of approximately 40%)"

Individual CDs are as low as US $3.69 for Rawsthorne and Alwyn symphonies and Bax chamber music.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Brian on September 05, 2021, 07:03:11 PM
Cross posting from Bargains thread:

Per Europadisc, Naxos is significantly raising its suggested retail price in October and this month is effectively "last call" on current Naxos prices. Europadisc is doing a big sale on Naxos recordings now so if you have anything on your wishlist, buy buy buy.

Full explanation: "Unfortunately, Naxos will be increasing their prices significantly from 29 September 2021. We will be continuing our discount sale right through to 14 November, but the discounts will have to apply to the new standard prices from 29 September onwards. We suggest taking advantage of the September prices while you can!

"(for reference, our current standard price of £7.65 for most single Naxos CDs will be increasing to £10.76 from 29 September - an increase of approximately 40%)"

Individual CDs are as low as US $3.69 for Rawsthorne and Alwyn symphonies and Bax chamber music.

Ouch!  And to think Naxos were launched on the platform of "bargain basement" prices.  At the moment Presto are offering their sale of 50% off hi-res downloads which makes them about £3.75.  As ever the debate about how audible this 'improved' audio is will rage, but at any case that price for lossless downloads is good.

Jo498

Naxos had been climbing from budget to midprice over the last 20 years or so in Germany. It's about EUR 9.99 usually nowadays. But there are also sales occasionally. I don't recognize a system, but jpc has also some for 1.99 (clearly a sale), 3.99, 5.99, 6.99 (until a few years ago 5.99-6.99 was the standard price). I have not seen any announcement of higher prices, but maybe they have already gradually raised more to 9.99 frm 6.99 or 7.99. If EUR 9.99 remains, this would still be quite a bit cheaper than 10.76 GBP.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

MickeyBoy

...the sound of a low whisper

Jo498

The Gerhaher Lieder are not Naxos recordings, are they? (rather some BMG label)
- Blaise Pascal

The new erato

They are. Just distributed by Naxos (in The US I guess).