Naxos recommendations

Started by DavidW, April 16, 2011, 12:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Fodder for the haters of "Naxos artists" (aka Toucan): this month the Naxos Opera Blu-Ray was Berlioz' Benvenuto Cellini with the Vienna Philharmonic and Valery Gergiev. Next month's release in the same line is Alfano's Cyrano de Bergerac, with Placido Domingo in the title role. Aldo Ciccolini's Naxos debut, of piano quintets by Mario Pilati and Achille Longo (with the Circolo Artistico), will be released in November. Cho-Liang Lin's Vivaldi Four Seasons have just been re-released on Blu-Ray.

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on April 29, 2011, 01:34:27 PM
Fodder for the haters of "Naxos artists" (aka Toucan): this month the Naxos Opera Blu-Ray was Berlioz' Benvenuto Cellini with the Vienna Philharmonic and Valery Gergiev. Next month's release in the same line is Alfano's Cyrano de Bergerac, with Placido Domingo in the title role. Aldo Ciccolini's Naxos debut, of piano quintets by Mario Pilati and Achille Longo (with the Circolo Artistico), will be released in November. Cho-Liang Lin's Vivaldi Four Seasons have just been re-released on Blu-Ray.

How embarrassing, to have to hire such hacks!

;D  ;D  ;D

--Bruce

Octave

Arkiv is having a sale on Naxos over the next couple weeks; multi-disc sets don't really seem to be a deal, but single discs come to ~$6.66, which is about as cheap as I will see them outside BRO.  If anyone has a few minutes to kill, I'd appreciate any recommendations for things that are really, really good....not only but especially "extra-repertory", non-canon type stuff.  FWIW here's a list of items I am pretty sure I want (feel free to correct me if you think there's a superior alternative that straight-up obviates the Naxos selection):
1. Bruckner: quintet etc (Fine Arts)
2. Penderecki: a couple more-recent discs (Cello Conc. 2, etc)
3. Wuorinen: some other discs than the one w/1st string quartet, which I have
4. Druckman: QUARTETS 2 & 3 etc
5. Stephen Albert: RIVERRUN (Symphs 1 & 2)
6. Havergal Brian: SYMPH 1 (GOTHIC) - no, actually I _do_ want this one...
7. Mozart: flute concertos (Gallois)
8. Martinu: Piano Quintets (Karel Kosárek & Martinu Quartet)
9. Miaskovsky/Vainberg: violin concertos (Yablonsky)
10. Krzysztof Meyer: three discs of string quartets
11. David Diamond: SYMPH 1 + ENORMOUS ROOM (maybe there's a better Diamond disc to start with?)
12. Silvius Weiss: what are the best couple discs of his lute music to try as an entree?  I've sampled some and I like it, but there's so much...
13. W.F. Bach: 12 POLONAISES (Robert Hill)

That's not even the whole list.   :-[   I'll post one more installment later tonight.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Octave on April 03, 2013, 11:27:51 AM

8. Martinu: Piano Quintets (Karel Kosárek & Martinu Quartet)

I can highly recommend this one. The 2nd PQ is one of his best chamber works, and the 1st is certainly worth hearing.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mandryka

Beethoven dances by Capella Istropolitana (has anyone sampled their Brandenburgs?)

Scarlatti CDs from Benjamin  Frith,  Evgeny Zarafiants and Beatrice Long.

Everything from the Menuhin Festival Piano Quartet

Everything from the Campanella Trio

Van Dael's Bach solo

Everything by Bach and Buxtehude  from Ruebsam

Everything from Antti Siirala

Vartolo's Goldbergs

Beghin's Haydn

Béla Drahos's Haydn symphonies

Hill's WF Bach

Einar Steen-Nøkleberg's Grieg

Vartolo's Monteverdi Canzonettas

Oxford Camerata's Missa Susanna un jour

Does anyone like Glen Wilson's Byrd Fantasies? 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

2. Penderecki: a couple more-recent discs (Cello Conc. 2, etc) Horn Concerto is stupendous; coupled with his avant-garde-iest stuff FYI
12. Silvius Weiss: what are the best couple discs of his lute music to try as an entree?  I've sampled some and I like it, but there's so much... I'm a huge Weiss enthusiast. I recommend some of the volumes around 7-8-9, where there are some nice works in really dramatic keys like D minor and F sharp minor

I also very very strongly second Mandryka's recommendation of the Trio Campanella's guitar CDs. Their Albeniz album is literally my favorite guitar CD.

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on April 03, 2013, 11:41:58 AM
I also very very strongly second Mandryka's recommendation of the Trio Campanella's guitar CDs. Their Albeniz album is literally my favorite guitar CD.

You know, they prepared the transcription with Larrocha.

Brian

Quote from: Mandryka on April 03, 2013, 11:43:29 AM
You know, they prepared the transcription with Larrocha.
Wow. I did not know that.

The entrance of the third guitar thirty seconds into "Evocación" still bowls me over every single time.

Octave

Quote from: Mandryka on April 03, 2013, 11:38:27 AM
Vartolo's Goldbergs

That's on the Tactus label, isn't it?  Do you mean Vartolo's ART OF FUGUE?

Mandryka

Quote from: Octave on April 03, 2013, 11:45:44 AM
That's on the Tactus label, isn't it?  Do you mean Vartolo's ART OF FUGUE?

Oops. I don't recommend that unless you have an open mind.

Sammy

I very much like Vartolo's Art of Fugue. 

I don't think anyone mentioned Medtner's Violin Sonatas (2 separate cd's) - great music played expertly and with appropriate expression.

mc ukrneal

For me, this would be (and trying to keep it to a manageable number):
Ries: Piano Concertos (5 discs)
Dussek: Symphonies
Franz Xaver Richter: Symphonies (2 discs)
Brahms: Hungarian Dances
Dvorak: Legends, from the Bohemian Forest (Matthies and Kohn)
Grieg: Piano Works Steen-Nockleberg (lots of good stuff, if you don't want them all, I'd start with any of the first 4 in the series or the Lyric Pieces)
Liszt: Études d'exécution transcendante 1851 version Jando
Mendelssohn: String Quintets (Fine Arts Quintet)
Rossini: Tancredi (opera)
Stanford: Requiem (definitely less mainstream, and would recommend you sample before you buy, but it is a good performance)
Tyberg: Syphony No. 3 (excellent)

There are a number of fine classical period symphonies that you could add (Cannabich, Pleyel, Vanhal, etc.), but did not want to make the list too long. Mendelssohn piano works was another I was thinking of. These get honorable mention.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Wakefield

Quote from: Sammy on April 03, 2013, 12:03:23 PM
I very much like Vartolo's Art of Fugue. 

+1 (mine)

- 1 (Premont)

Grand Total = still 1

:laugh:
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mandryka

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 03, 2013, 12:07:11 PM
Ries: Piano Concertos (5 discs)
Dussek: Symphonies
Franz Xaver Richter: Symphonies (2 discs)
Brahms: Hungarian Dances
Dvorak: Legends, from the Bohemian Forest (Matthies and Kohn)
Grieg: Piano Works Steen-Nockleberg (lots of good stuff, if you don't want them all, I'd start with any of the first 4 in the series or the Lyric Pieces)
Liszt: Études d'exécution transcendante 1851 version Jando
Mendelssohn: String Quintets (Fine Arts Quintet)
Rossini: Tancredi (opera)
Stanford: Requiem (definitely less mainstream, and would recommend you sample before you buy, but it is a good performance)

There are a number of fine classical period symphonies that you could add (Cannabich, Pleyel, Vanhal, etc.), but did not want to make the list too long. Mendelssohn piano works was another I was thinking of. These get honorable mention.

The Steen-Nockleberg which impressed me the most was the big bad ballade. Best I've heard since Godowsky.

Sammy

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 03, 2013, 12:07:11 PM

That's a real eye-opener.  I also like that it's coupled with a chamber work (the piano trio).

Octave

Thanks a lot everybody for these recommendations; a number of items I've never heard of, and a little sampling makes me glad you mentioned them.  More recommendations would still be appreciated.  Here are some more I was thinking of getting.  In many if not most cases of these I am mentioning, here and in my earlier post above, there's already been some discussion/recommendation of the discs at GMG, in case anyone wants to collect some opinions on their own.

14. Tveitt: PIANO CONCERTO 4 etc
15. Liszt: HUNGARIAN RHAPSODIES [Jeno Jando] (vols. 12/13 of his Liszt series)
16. Philip Glass: VIOLIN CONCERTO [Adele Anthony]
17. Gubaidulina: FACHWERK/SILENZIO
18. Ligeti: STRING QUARTETS (Parker 4tt)
19. Moeran: SYMPHONY & SINFONIETTA [Lloyd-George] - I think there was a Lyrita I was also considering...
20. Finzi: ENGLISH SONG SERIES vols. 12 & 15 ["I Said To Love", "Earth & Air & Rain"] - ....and/or other Finzi?
21. Bartok: three discs w/Pauk [SONATA/44 DUOS + RHAPSODIES + VIOLIN SONATAS
22. Busoni: MUSIC FOR TWO PIANOS [Schiller/Humphrey]
23. Enescu: STRING QUARTETS 1 & 2 [Ad Libitum 4tt]
24. Rihm: COMPLETE VIOLIN/PIANO
25. Buxtehude: MEMBRA [Fasolis]
26. Dunstaple: SWEET HARMONY [Tonus Peregrinus]

Opus106

Arkiv is having a sale on Naxos over the next couple weeks; multi-disc sets don't really seem to be a deal, but single discs come to ~$6.66, which is about as cheap as I will see them outside BRO.  If anyone has a few minutes to kill, I'd appreciate any recommendations for things that are really, really good....not only but especially "extra-repertory", non-canon type stuff.

Thanks for reviving this thread. If you're interested MDT is having a Clearence sale and with to-be-deleted items (~2.50 Pounds). Naturally, not every title is available there. Also, $6.60 is about the price that Presto is asking for the Naxos CDs in their Early Music offer.
Regards,
Navneeth

Octave

Quote from: Opus106 on April 04, 2013, 12:59:11 AM
Thanks for reviving this thread. If you're interested MDT is having a Clearence sale and with to-be-deleted items (~2.50 Pounds). Naturally, not every title is available there. Also, $6.60 is about the price that Presto is asking for the Naxos CDs in their Early Music offer.

Thanks for mentioning that MDT sale.  Since I got the "VIP" ~free shipping with Arkiv, I end up saving an additional buck or so per disc that way, but the Presto sale seems to have lots of nice Naxos Historical items that I cannot get Stateside.  And I think the Presto offer is not just for 'early music' Naxos titles but for ~all Naxos titles; it's a label-wide sale.

The new erato

Quote from: Mandryka on April 03, 2013, 11:38:27 AM
Oxford Camerata's Missa Susanna un jour
That's one of my favorite Lassus discs.

Brian

Quote from: Octave on April 03, 2013, 08:39:39 PM
15. Liszt: HUNGARIAN RHAPSODIES [Jeno Jando] (vols. 12/13 of his Liszt series)
16. Philip Glass: VIOLIN CONCERTO [Adele Anthony]

My landslide favorite Liszt Rhapsodies, and my favorite Jando; the Glass is really good too, and you must have seen Karl recommending the Busoni recently...