Guitarists of the world 'Unite!'

Started by canninator, April 18, 2011, 10:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

ok guys

What is the possibility of doing 'tympani' glissandi rolls on the low 'E' string, with a very low dynamic, rolling very very fast on the right hand (shaking between the thumb and ring finger?), ever so lightly, as you slowly/quickly, something like this (and I'm being sloppy):

EEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFF#F#F#FFFEEEEEEEEEEFFFFF#F#F#GGF#F#FFFEEEEEEFFFF#F#GGG#G#GF#F#FFFEEEEEEEEEEEE

First off, do you know what I'm saying?

snyprrr

This is the best I can come up with for a truly chromatic chord. I don't know if I like the way it sounds. Wh@t do you think?:

(Yea, it's a pain, too! :()

This piece I've been working on is just becoming more and more monstrous. :'( The final form is pretty well clear, but this middle section (how to get from the very beginning, to the 'link-up') is... well,... sigh,...

we're gettin' there,... git'er done, as they say ???...

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on July 31, 2012, 09:05:10 AM
This is the best I can come up with for a truly chromatic chord. I don't know if I like the way it sounds. Wh@t do you think?:

This piece I've been working on is just becoming more and more monstrous. :'( The final form is pretty well clear, but this middle section (how to get from the very beginning, to the 'link-up') is... well,... sigh,...

Aye! :o, have ye abandoned me? :'(

North Star

Quote from: snyprrr on July 31, 2012, 09:05:10 AM

It is playable, but only if you play the A-string C with the right hand, and it can't be played too loud. Someone with a huge hand should reach it with the pinkie, though.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on August 06, 2012, 02:19:13 PM
It is playable, but only if you play the A-string C with the right hand, and it can't be played too loud. Someone with a huge hand should reach it with the pinkie, though.

I don't have huge hands, but I have done horrible things with them, so I can barely play the thing with the left hand, but, your right hand for the 'C' is perfect. Thanks!

Cogluotobusisletmesi

I can play the chord without fingering anything with my right hand. I don't think my hands are particularly large.

North Star

Quote from: Cogluotobusisletmesi on August 06, 2012, 11:59:25 PM
I can play the chord without fingering anything with my right hand. I don't think my hands are particularly large.
Well, it's really just that my pinkie is short. No real need for genuinely huge hands.

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Quote from: Cogluotobusisletmesi on August 06, 2012, 11:59:25 PM

Technically, the 'D' note should be up an octave for a true chromatic chord, but,...

What do you think of its sound? I don't like it and I can't seem to find a function for it in my piece (which is basically built on chords 'like' this). It's just TOO loose and open sounding, or not micro-chromatic enough (can't do on a guitar without re-tuning), or something,...

This chord here is quite the perfection of what I'm doing here. Compare to the previous one and see that this one seems like it's going places, whereas the chromatic one feels kind of limp:

AHHHHHHH, just broke a string!! >:D That's still my copyrighted chord 8), haha ;D, grrrr >:D,...

I guess this is where I start the 'Your Favorite Guitar Strings' Thread?

snyprrr

Can we play this?:

My high 'E' string has popped. It's still Ben Gay inducing for me. :( These 'stretchy' chords (which comprise a good portion of my piece) are torturous for me.

I am SOOOOO strung out on this piece I can't tell you. But I'm always making progress,... but I get in these microscopic rabbit holes and I think I need to pull out and take a few macro looks at it.

OK, done. Back to the obsessive-compulsive! ;D

North Star

Quote from: snyprrr on August 12, 2012, 02:26:12 PM
Can we play this?:

The higher a is already played on the D-string, so muting G-string shouldn't change the chord too much?

X

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on August 12, 2012, 02:56:43 PM
The higher a is already played on the D-string, so muting G-string shouldn't change the chord too much?

X

Mm.. the two 'A's were assumed, since I was shooting for SIX 'A's. The 'E' is the sacrificial note. I really meant"

X

Anyhow, I'm rapidly reaching an epiphany and loosing my marbles at the same time, uh boy! ::)

work work work

snyprrr

Haha, I'm suuure I'm pressing my luck here on this Thread, what with all the annoying Posts, but, hey, why not?

What do you think of these 'E; chords? Are there better ones?:

0     This is the darkest one I can come up with. I like it better than:  0  This one sounds drab to me.
0                                                                                                 0
4                                                                                                 4
2                                                                                                 2
7                                                                                                 2 (instead of 7)
0                                                                                                 0

0 (or 12)  The (0,0) one is pretty standard, not THE most exciting, and the (12,12) has a good balance.
0 (or 12)

19 This one seems very balanced too. I like this one.

snyprrr

I'm having trouble playing this chord, but only because I have no fingernails. How does this sound to you?:

X
X

Yes, you'll be playing the G# with your right hand, whilst plucking all four strings at the same time. It's tricky with no fingernails. Is it easy for you? (I'm hoping so)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: snyprrr on August 21, 2012, 07:53:07 AM
I'm having trouble playing this chord, but only because I have no fingernails. How does this sound to you?:

X
X

Yes, you'll be playing the G# with your right hand, whilst plucking all four strings at the same time. It's tricky with no fingernails. Is it easy for you? (I'm hoping so)
The hardest part of that chord is hearing the G# over the two open strings. The only way to balance the sound of the notes between the chord is to play the two open notes with your LH ring finger (while muting the two top open string with your LH pinky).

snyprrr

Quote from: Greg on August 21, 2012, 09:04:49 AM
The hardest part of that chord is hearing the G# over the two open strings. The only way to balance the sound of the notes between the chord is to play the two open notes with your LH ring finger (while muting the two top open string with your LH pinky).

Very expert, Greg, bravo! 8) I'll try it in the morning.

I'd like to play each open string with a different finger,... I can't play now, 'shhh' time,...

I'm so impressed with your 'crane' technique, haha! Go tell your master! 8)

snyprrr

How feasible is this?:

E- play the natural harmonic 'G#' just below the 4th fret
B- play the natural harmonic 'F#' just after the 3rd fret (the very high sounding one, not the one @7th fret)
G- play the natural harmonic 'G' between the 2nd and 3rd frets (very difficult to produce cleanly)
D- play the natural harmonic 'F#' just below the 4th fret
A- X
E- 3 ('G')

I am convinced the greatest guitarist in the world could pull it off. Well, I'm actually hoping it's not as difficult for you as it is for me. I really want to use it.

snyprrr

Quote from: Greg on August 21, 2012, 09:04:49 AM

I've been enjoying your advice here, but I just got pissed and found this solution: just do it overhand, haha!! With your LH over the fretboard, simply place pointer and index fingers on 'A' string 5 ('D'note) and 'D' string 6 ('G#'note), respectively, and then streeeeeeeeeeetch your thumb all the way up to the 'F' on the low 'E'. Yes, it's not that much fun, but I have much better balance control in terms of dynamics.

oy!

North Star

Quote from: snyprrr on August 21, 2012, 07:53:07 AM

X
X

How about arpeggiating it, f - a - d - g# sounds nice to me.

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on September 01, 2012, 06:03:25 AM
How about arpeggiating it, f - a - d - g# sounds nice to me.

No,... but,...  :o :o :o,... that's brilliant!! :-*,... that's the one shape in the first position that hadn't occurred to me. I was hung up on this Bb7 chord that just sounded too obvious:

f-Bb-d-g#

but here, you just switched to the 'a', and poof, what a radically different sound. Sorry, I'm taking it!! ;) Yes, I think that may actually be the lost chord I have been needing. Aye, blindness, blindness!! ::)

That first position can be wondrous. And also a lot of interesting things happen between frets 9-13,... uh,... nevermind,... there are LOTS of interesting places on the fretboard! ;D

I'm still stuck on the passage between these two chords:

No.1:

X
0 optional

and No.2:

X

I could play them one after another, but I have cleaved them and am working on a passage between them, but I'm getting very indulgent, and savoring the process too much. I can see where some people want to constantly revise, and never get anything done. Hmm. :(

The chord that you were referencing is the chord that is supposed to go right before chord No.2. I'm trying to work backwards, and it's hard for me to musically think backwards like that.

Painting oneself into a corner, haha?!

snyprrr

How easy is it for you to play a simple open harmonic (especially on the treble strings; take g-string 7th-fret 'd' harmonic,... so that you hear both the lower 'g' and the higher 'd')?

I know the low strings work well...