Kirov Ring at the Met

Started by Anne, June 27, 2007, 05:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on August 01, 2007, 02:29:12 PM
Is the concept to get more people into performances? Is it unique to a limited run like the Ring or common for high demand performances? I recall hearing that they have 'standing room' at Bayreuth as well :)

Yes, ultimately the goal is to pack as many people in as possible.  But you can buy standing room seats for any opera they do.  The standing room sections are "permanent" -- always there -- so you can get them even if the opera isn't sold out. 

But the thing is, with the Met's new pricing policy, the back of the balcony (the "Family Circle") is available during the week for $15, which means that it really is affordable.  I saw the Anthony Minghella production of Madama Butterfly in the very back row, right in front of the standing room section.  It was actually great, and the sound up there is excellent (even if for the view, you really need to bring binoculars).

--Bruce

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: bhodges on August 01, 2007, 03:01:07 PM
Yes, ultimately the goal is to pack as many people in as possible.  But you can buy standing room seats for any opera they do.  The standing room sections are "permanent" -- always there -- so you can get them even if the opera isn't sold out. 

But the thing is, with the Met's new pricing policy, the back of the balcony (the "Family Circle") is available during the week for $15, which means that it really is affordable.  I saw the Anthony Minghella production of Madama Butterfly in the very back row, right in front of the standing room section.  It was actually great, and the sound up there is excellent (even if for the view, you really need to bring binoculars).

--Bruce

I guess thats a good idea to encourage families with affordable prices.

Thanks for the information :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

bhodges

Or anyone who wants to "try out" opera!  :D  (That's why I don't buy it when people say things like, "The Met is too expensive," since it's really not.  Same with Carnegie Hall, where I think the best seats, sound-wise, are up high.)

--Bruce

uffeviking

SRO! - Stehgallerie in German! - Oh Dear what memories. Wanderer can you believe I was introduced to Wagner's Ring des Nibelungen by my mother's ticket for my 6th birthday! She had a subscription for years and every time she thought a performance suitable for her very young daughter, she bought a SRO ticket for me. Her seat was up on the third balcony, not too far from my SRO and nice ushers would let me come down and sit on the step next to her end of the row seat. Against fire regulations, but so what? It's in the SRO areas where you find the most enthusiastic and also most knowledgeable people, usually music students.

If you are near an opera house, try a SRO ticket, you'll be among the nicest people!  8)

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: uffeviking on August 01, 2007, 06:52:59 PM
SRO! - Stehgallerie in German! - Oh Dear what memories. Wanderer can you believe I was introduced to Wagner's Ring des Nibelungen by my mother's ticket for my 6th birthday! She had a subscription for years and every time she thought a performance suitable for her very young daughter, she bought a SRO ticket for me. Her seat was up on the third balcony, not too far from my SRO and nice ushers would let me come down and sit on the step next to her end of the row seat. Against fire regulations, but so what? It's in the SRO areas where you find the most enthusiastic and also most knowledgeable people, usually music students.

If you are near an opera house, try a SRO ticket, you'll be among the nicest people!  8)

Thats an early to the Ring :o

Sadly we don't have a dedicated Opera House in Auckland but I would happily try the SRO one day; to a short opera! ;)

I wonder if they have SRO 'seating' in Sydney?

:)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

uffeviking

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on August 01, 2007, 07:20:37 PM

:)

I guarantee you, they do; every opera house in the world has SRO! Their most loyal audience is up there; not the ones in formal attire, more likely the ones in jeans an t-shirts!  8)

PSmith08

Wanderer can you believe I was introduced to Wagner's Ring des Nibelungen by my mother's ticket for my 6th birthday!

She deserves a medal for her services to education. Seriously: A mother willing to take her six-year-old daughter to the opera house, much less Der Ring des Nibelungen? Saints among us!

This is making me nostalgic for my freshman year of college, and my copy of Wilhelm Furtwängler's 1950 La Scala Götterdämmerung.

uffeviking

Not being nosey, but curious: You were up in the SRO area attending it? Must have been an experience telling your grandkids about!  8)

bricon

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on August 01, 2007, 07:20:37 PM

There are usually a small number of standing room tickets available for Opera Australia performances in Sydney. The tickets are only made available on the day of the particular performance and cost $35 each (usual ticket prices range from $99 - $228).

The standing room section is at the rear of the first level of the circle; although it is a fair way back from the stage, the sight-lines are quite good.

bhodges

It's in the SRO areas where you find the most enthusiastic and also most knowledgeable people, usually music students.

Absolutely!  Some of the most passionate music lovers are in the standing room sections, since obviously they really want to be there. 

--Bruce

PSmith08

Quote from: uffeviking on August 01, 2007, 10:02:59 PM
Not being nosey, but curious: You were up in the SRO area attending it? Must have been an experience telling your grandkids about!  8)

Heavens, no. Neither of my parents were even alive in 1950.

It was, on CD, my first exposure to the Ring. The discussion of your first experience got me thinking about my first experience.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: bricon on August 01, 2007, 10:17:50 PM
There are usually a small number of standing room tickets available for Opera Australia performances in Sydney. The tickets are only made available on the day of the particular performance and cost $35 each (usual ticket prices range from $99 - $228).

The standing room section is at the rear of the first level of the circle; although it is a fair way back from the stage, the sight-lines are quite good.

Thanks for that info. I wanted to go to Australia this year as they had Tannhauser at the Sydney Opera house but, alas it didn't fit in with my schedule :(

I would only really want to sit down for a concert but I'm intrigued by the 'culture' around the 'standing areas'  ;)

knight66

I have done the standing room bit a couple of times. I did it for Les Troyans in Lyon and we gradually migrated until we ended up in unoccupied empty seats in the most expensive part of the house. But we stood for a couple of hours before people were allowed to take up empty seats.

At Covent Garden I have seen them be strict and move people out of seats they knew had been empty. Ditto at the Albert Hall.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.