The Great "D Minor"

Started by TheGSMoeller, February 16, 2012, 04:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Opus106 on February 17, 2012, 05:14:07 AM
As in learn to perform?
Could be. But I meant when they/you listen to the work too. So when you have a first listen and a second and a third, etc. Do you pay attention ot the key of the work (so that you remember it or it at least makes an impression).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Opus106

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 17, 2012, 05:22:29 AM
Could be. But I meant when they/you listen to the work too. So when you have a first listen and a second and a third, etc. Do you pay attention ot the key of the work (so that you remember it or it at least makes an impression).

I do, and it does. Sometimes while listening for the first time, I even identify the key based on another work (in the same key) with which I'm familiar (and usually feel excited if it's one of the favourites: c, c#, d, e, f, f#. ;D). There was a time when I went behind all the D minor works I could get hold of. My first source of western classical music was an all-request radio station (broadcast and streaming) based in Connecticut. Every evening here, and when the day would start there, I would scour Wikipedia trying to find another new piece in D minor to send as a request. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

premont

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 17, 2012, 02:35:42 AM
Just curious - do people here remember the key when they learn the work? Or did you have to look it up?

Whether I play a piece of music myself or just listen to others performance I always study the score thoroughly whenever available.
Consequently I tend to see the score in my mind, when I think of the music.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

North Star

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 16, 2012, 02:24:10 PM
It is in c-minor.

Quote from: Opus106 on February 17, 2012, 02:02:18 AM
C minor, my friend. :)

:-[

I really should stop posting during the night and after 10 hours of studying.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

petrarch

There's always Spinal Tap's Lick my love pump, in the saddest of all keys...
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on February 16, 2012, 09:05:29 AM
D Minor?
Beethoven No.9 comes immediately into my mind! :D Also Mahler No.3 and Liszt Hungarian Rhapsdy No.17!

Beethoven's Piano Sonata No.17 "The Tempest" and Bach's Toccata and Fugue BWV 565 too.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler