Started by toucan, April 21, 2011, 04:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: toucan on December 15, 2011, 07:11:23 AM
The inclusion of Rachmaninov into the afore mentioned list suffices to discredit the post - as Rachmaninoff (Horowitz's friendship notwistanding) has consistently been rebuked by the most sophisticated folk for his frequent downfalls into hollywood style mishmash and sentimentality.

Now I know why I like Shostakovich and Rachmaninoff - I have little use for sophisticated and aristocratic people.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on December 15, 2011, 06:40:36 AM
Way to make lemonade, dude!

Well, I'm not sure how to react to threads such as this sometimes. Must be the Jersey sarcasm I inherited.

I don't see how a completed piece of art can "fade" at any point. The public's perception might change with time, perhaps more with a piece of art that was influenced by a political event, but never fade. I feel that once a composer and his music have reached a certain height in popularity (performances, recordings...) and in the public's appreciation, then it will always maintain that position, such as Shostakovich and his music will.

jowcol

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 15, 2011, 07:14:33 AM
By the way, I can't help but notice that he still hasn't provided evidence that Shostakovitch is fading.

I can produce conclusive evidence that Shostakovich is fading! 
Just look below, and prepare to leave your little world of denial!

Going, going, gone!

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Dmitri Dmitriyevich wouldn't have faded, if he had made sure that his parents kissed at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance!

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jowcol

And now, for some reason, I envision a technicolor movie, where the KGB and Joseph Stalin are chasing Dorothy and friends through the Kremlin.  they are cornered, and Joe Stalin starts burning the scarecrow with a torch.  Dorothy grabs a bucket of water, trying to put out the fire.  She misses the scarecrow and Stalin, but hits Dmitri Shostakovich, who starts melting away, crying "what a world, what world..."
Duke Ellington

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

jowcol

After further research, I identified the cause of the tragedy.  Unfortunately, the Communist Totalitarian Aristocracy washed their composers using plain laundry soap, while the French Intelligentsia used Free and Gentle™ formulated Tide™ to wash their composers.  This is why Shostakovich has faded, while Boulez has maintained his vibrant colors.

Duke Ellington

eyeresist

Quote from: Philoctetes on December 15, 2011, 05:38:00 PM
I saw a few places in the topics the mention of influence, but who, composing today, is influenced by Shostakovitch?

....................... Karl?

Lethevich

Quote from: Philoctetes on December 15, 2011, 05:38:00 PM
I saw a few places in the topics the mention of influence, but who, composing today, is influenced by Shostakovitch?

Aho's debut symphony is Shostakovich worship iirc, and while he has developed a personal style I would say that Dmitri still has a small hand in it. Boris Tishchenko was heavily influenced, and has only just popped his clogs.

eyeresist

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on December 15, 2011, 06:45:03 PM
Aho's debut symphony is Shostakovich worship iirc, and while he has developed a personal style I would say that Dmitri still has a small hand in it. Boris Tishchenko was heavily influenced, and has only just popped his clogs.
Schnittke too.

Lethevich

Quote from: Philoctetes on December 15, 2011, 06:46:51 PM
I've not heard Aho, but I will strive to fix that. Wouldn't you say Boris has more in common with Tchaikovsky than Shostakovitch?

Not sure, I haven't heard a huge amount of works - but his 7th symphony came across as DS worship. Although a nice coincidence arises in Boris Tchaikovsky having influences from DS. If we can do dead guys - Einar Englund's primary influence was Shostakovich. I think that the composer's idiom was in the background for many mid-century symphonists. Malcolm Arnold sounds very much like an English version of the composer, although a lot of those associations arose from coincidence.

eyeresist

Quote from: Philoctetes on December 15, 2011, 07:09:14 PM
Ah.. now there's one where I can hear it clearly. Although, I don't really care for him either.
Well, there's the thing. If you don't care for Shosty or composers who resemble him, you'll tend to avoid/dismiss his descendants.

Lethevich

Quote from: Philoctetes on December 15, 2011, 08:18:13 PM
A further question comes to mind: What is the relative prestige of these composers who have follow DS, coincidental or not and should that matter?

All second-stringers, except perhaps Arnold who though inconsistent wrote much of value. It's a similar case with composers such as Chopin and Tchaikovsky - they have inspired many, but conposers who were so strongly influenced as to write music which sounds like those two are invariably pale shadows. Even Scriabin escaped that phase quite quickly. I think that it is a sign of greatness when your style can inspire others, but not produce masterworks through the mere emulation of it - as the original composer has already exausted all that can be said with the language.

not edward

It may be fair to see that the younger generation are somewhat less Shostakovich-inflected than their forebears. It's a rather vague feeling and one I couldn't back up statistically, but I think many of the younger composers I've heard recently have Ligeti and Sibelius as key influences (spectralism and electronica also seem not uncommon ones, for example in Romitelli).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Karl Henning

Quote from: eyeresist on December 15, 2011, 06:18:49 PM
....................... Karl?

Yes. As with (for instance) Beethoven, there are important lessons I've learnt from his music, which I apply frequently, even though there be little surface similarity between the music I write, and theirs.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Sorry to dig up this older thread, but it still makes me laugh. :D

starrynight

The question was brought up whether relative prestige matters, I would say no except for those that don't think for themselves.  There is plenty of good music in the 20th century that just gets ignored.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2012, 07:06:50 PM
Sorry to dig up this older thread, but it still makes me laugh. :D
Quote from: toucan on February 18, 2012, 03:20:48 AM
That's all too true. That's because of the laziness of that segment of the public who stick to second-rates like Dmitri Shostakovich...
The laughs are coming fast and furious here.

The new erato

You are certainly entitled to bray.

ibanezmonster

Shostakovich isn't a good composer because that guy on that internet forum said he isn't. So, I guess my taste is wrong. Thanks for correcting my taste. Oh yeah, could that guy tell me which composers I should and shouldn't like so I know how to have correct taste in the future?