Started by toucan, April 21, 2011, 04:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 21, 2011, 06:59:28 AM
In fact, the better argument would be that Shostakovich's stock out of all composers past and present, is the one that is rising the most sharply.

Aye, such events as the first Boston production of The Beak The Nose a few seasons ago. toucan is talking out the back of his neck. (toucan cannot fade, really, if he never shone, right?)

Scarpia

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 21, 2011, 06:59:28 AM
In fact, the better argument would be that Shostakovich's stock out of all composers past and present, is the one that is rising the most sharply.

Frankly I don't find that statement any more justified than the converse. 

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on April 21, 2011, 05:57:56 AM
When I saw the title of the thread, my first thought was, "He's already dead."

Ah but great heroes don't die they just fade away. ;D

DavidW

Quote from: toucan on April 21, 2011, 04:37:19 AM
In recent internet polls and discussions I thought I noticed a movement away from Shostakovich.

I don't think it's possible because just when interest might wain, Karl will post some annoying post in Russian which will be subtitled "listening to Shostakovich's viola sonata lol" ;D  And Harry will shake his fist, and then several posters will show solidarity by listening to Shostakovich.

karlhenning

Quote from: haydnfan on April 21, 2011, 08:53:30 AM
. . . Karl will post some annoying post in Russian . . . .

Ерунда такая!

Wanderer

...no longer seem to get as angry when you do not like his music:

God help us if infantile ire of the sort is to be perceived as a valid measure of music appreciation.

Grazioso

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

DavidW

Quote from: Apollon on April 21, 2011, 09:00:20 AM
Ерунда такая!

You know Karl I stuck into babelfish hoping that you said "pleasure is the law!" ;D  Ah disappointment... :'(

karlhenning

Quote from: haydnfan on April 21, 2011, 10:18:04 AM
You know Karl I stuck into babelfish hoping that you said "pleasure is the law!" ;D  Ah disappointment... :'(

Here's one for you, Davey: Хлеб – богатство народа.

; )

ibanezmonster

Quote from: toucan on April 21, 2011, 01:47:25 PM
Conte Ridolfo, you are the typical internet poster, who when he does not like the opinion, smears the person emitting the opinion, instead of discussing the opinion.
I could imagine it's hard not to make fun of someone when that person is just being ridiculous.

Daverz

In recent internet polls and discussions I thought I noticed a movement away from Shostakovich. He does not seem to get ranked as high as he used to in recent polls or lists of favorites and his suporters no longer seem to get as angry when you do not like his music: perhaps not a wholesale rejection, mind you, but the beginnings of indifference. Has anyone else out there seen this?

On the contrary, I think some of the old extra-musical prejudices against Shostakovich have faded.  And I think we're seeing a hopeful trend of other Soviet composers being "rehabilitated".

Mirror Image

Toucan can't possibly be taken seriously after making such ridiculous assertions that Shostakovich's popularity is waning. ::) Seriously, the guy is just trying to get a rise out of people, but he picked the wrong bunch to do this with. :)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: toucan on April 21, 2011, 01:47:25 PM

But then, Shostakovich could never be defended on his limited merits, could he...  :P

Well actually he could, but would you pay any attention? Somehow I doubt it.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

You are a funny guy, toucan  :) yeah, loads of Dittersdorf and Thalberg recordings out there; about as many as that composer everyone's forgotten, what's his name, Shosta-something

Archaic Torso of Apollo

My dear Toucan, your own chronological argument refutes your claim. Shostakovich died in 1975. During his lifetime, only a few of his works were played regularly (e.g. the 5th and 10th symphonies and the 8th string quartet). Since his demise, it's become common to record complete symphony and quartet cycles, and many of the other symphonies are getting a lot more play.

The quartet cycle in particular just gets more and more popular, and is increasingly accepted as one of the "Big 3" essential cycles, along with those of Beethoven and Bartok.

I rest my case.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

OK Toucan, let's go back to the beginning. You think people are "moving away from Shostakovich." Can you cite some real-world evidence for this "move away"?

Brian

Quote from: toucan on April 21, 2011, 11:12:46 PM
Velimir, you truly have not gotten the point. In his life time Thalberg was more famous than Schumann and Chopin and no doubt had the recording industry already existed back then Thalberg would have been recorded far more often than they.

New 2011 Shostakovich CDs so far:

New 2011 Thalberg CDs so far:

(none)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brian on April 22, 2011, 12:19:36 AM
New 2011 Shostakovich CDs so far:

Sorry, but we can be sure that the people playing on and buying those CDs are not "people of good judgment and taste," because "people of taste simply have no more accepted the imitations of Shostakovich than they have accepted fake diamonds."

The Toucan has spoken (or whatever it is toucans do).

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Opus106

Well, toucan, let's suppose that we give you the answer that you want -- that Shostakovich's popularity is fading; what do you propose on doing after that?
Regards,
Navneeth