Started by toucan, April 21, 2011, 04:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on April 22, 2011, 02:05:37 PMI feel guilty about how loudly I laughed at this.

I guess I'm not down with the hip rap, because I had no idea what that meant.   :-[

Brian

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 22, 2011, 02:12:41 PM
I guess I'm not down with the hip rap, because I had no idea what that meant.   :-[

Minor, slightly more offensive variant on this :)

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on April 22, 2011, 02:16:59 PM
Minor, slightly more offensive variant on this :)

Still not clear, maybe I'll go down to Old Navy or The Gap and try and get some practical experience with these hipster-type phrases.

Brian

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 22, 2011, 02:24:09 PM
Still not clear, maybe I'll go down to Old Navy or The Gap and try and get some practical experience with these hipster-type phrases.

Hrm, I didn't think it was that confusing:

"Expresses incredulous disgust, usually in reaction to a statement that is incredible, false, or otherwise outrageous. In some cases, it can also be used to repell a minor annoyance..."

It's like saying "puh-leez," only with gangsta words inserted. FWIW I still say "oh, give me a break."

Philoctetes

Quote from: Brian on April 22, 2011, 02:44:58 PM
FWIW I still say "oh, give me a break."

Loved that show, man.

karlhenning

C'mon, you nasty pro-Shostakovich lot: don't be hatin' on the bird!

Jes' flip him.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Philoctetes on April 22, 2011, 02:49:21 PM
Loved that show, man.

Yeah, you would. That kind of low-brow, unintelligent humor seems right up your alley.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 21, 2011, 08:23:22 AM
Frankly I don't find that statement any more justified than the converse.

Alright, fair enough Scarpia.  Besides Bach, Beethoven and Mozart (whose stock arguably cannot rise any higher unless there is a stock split  ;D), can you name me at least 10 composers you believe whose stock is rising at a higher rate than Shostakovich?

Scarpia

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 23, 2011, 07:13:13 AM
Alright, fair enough Scarpia.  Besides Bach, Beethoven and Mozart (whose stock arguably cannot rise any higher unless there is a stock split  ;D), can you name me at least 10 composers you believe whose stock is rising at a higher rate than Shostakovich?

It is easier for stock to rise when it starts low.  Atterberg, Sallinen, Schnittke, Bantock, Magnard, Tansman, Bacewicz, Brian, Hummel, Bax.  All composers who were either forgotten or almost unknown, but who have had a (re)surgence of interested after conductors, musicians and/or record labels took up their causes recently.  Shostakovich was recognized internationally throughout his career, although there seems to be abundant interest today his works they were never absent from the music scene.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 22, 2011, 02:12:41 PM
And you live in this country, right?  :o :D

DavidW

Well I personally think that the n-word has no place on this forum, I wasn't laughing.  Unlike many curse words thrown around, this one specifically is racially charged, insulting word.  I don't think that it was intentionally used that way, but it would be easy to find insult anyway.

Philoctetes

Quote from: haydnfan on April 23, 2011, 06:10:56 PM
Well I personally think that the n-word has no place on this forum, I wasn't laughing.  Unlike many curse words thrown around, this one specifically is racially charged, insulting word.  I don't think that it was intentionally used that way, but it would be easy to find insult anyway.

First, it wasn't the n-word. There's a linguistic and stylistic difference (and it matters). Second, the context was also key, and the incredulity was aptly expressed. Thirdly, (and most weakly), I am of African heritage, and I feel that the double standard grants me larger allowance.

Pierre

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 21, 2011, 06:26:50 AM
Toucan, your idea of Shostakovich's music fading belongs here:

As your notion is both fruity and loopy and has no value (nutritional and otherwise).

I self-nominate this as post of the month!  :P

That made me laugh - thank you!

eyeresist

Quote from: toucan on April 21, 2011, 05:41:35 AM
Enthousiasm for a Naxos cycle: what a joke! Naxos itself is fading. It used to be the internet was riddled with people who let the cost of a CD determine their taste: thus their preference for Naxos musicians over the great musicians. These people themselves are fading. The growing opinion currently is, while you might have to buy Naxos if you want recordings of obscure or unknown composers, you may want to turn elsewhere for good recordings of Beethoven, Schubert, etc.  If all there is left of Shostakovich is Naxos then Shostakovich himself is indeed turning into an obscure & forgotten composer.

"I only buy from the Yellow label. True sign of quality, don't you know? And THIS - *holds up Naxos CD* - this TRASH - *pinches nose* - it would even soil my chamber pot."
*Monocle pops out.*

Quote from: Apollon on April 21, 2011, 06:48:14 AM
As a conductor, yes; wouldn't do much for his composerly star . . . .

The only Shosty Boulez could record is the 12-tone 14th. He can't acknowledge anything that suggests traditional tonality was valid after 1950.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: eyeresist on April 24, 2011, 01:00:08 AM
"I only buy from the Yellow label. True sign of quality, don't you know? And THIS - *holds up Naxos CD* - this TRASH - *pinches nose* - it would even soil my chamber pot."

It's funny that Toucan bashes Naxos, then says that the Batiashvili CD on DG was one of the worst he ever heard.

BTW, if Toucan hates DSCH so much, why did he buy that CD in the first place?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Daverz

Quote from: Velimir on April 24, 2011, 01:27:36 AM
BTW, if Toucan hates DSCH so much, why did he buy that CD in the first place?

Because he's a troll?

Brian

*Monocle pops out.*

Speaking of Yellow labels, I own more DG CDs than Hanssler CDs, but it's a lot closer than one would expect.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Velimir on April 24, 2011, 01:27:36 AMBTW, if Toucan hates DSCH so much, why did he buy that CD in the first place?

So he could complain about it.

jochanaan

The only Shosty Boulez could record is the 12-tone 14th...
Um, if that were true, the esteemed M. Boulez might have trouble even with #14 since, although it's nearly atonal, it's not 12-tone. :)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

ibanezmonster

It's the 13th string quartet that has a tone row in it.