Started by toucan, April 21, 2011, 04:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: Opus106 on April 22, 2011, 01:40:18 AM
Well, toucan, let's suppose that we give you the answer that you want -- that Shostakovich's popularity is fading; what do you propose on doing after that?

Then GMG can finally listen to him properly, as he won't be popular anymore :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 22, 2011, 02:29:58 AM
Then GMG can finally listen to him properly, as he won't be popular anymore :)

I call dibs on recognising this underrated composer and single-handedly bringing him to the attention of the wider world in 2029. :D
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Quote from: Brian on April 22, 2011, 12:19:36 AM
New 2011 Shostakovich CDs so far:

New 2011 Thalberg CDs so far:

(none)

And . . . new 2011 Boulez CDs? . . .

Brian

Toucan, how is the greatness of music defined?

Scarpia

Quote from: toucan on April 22, 2011, 11:03:05 AM
There are more mediocrities out there then there are quality people; therefore simple-minded second rates like Shostakovich get more recordings in the short run than great composers like Boulez or Lutoslawski or Dutilleux or Messiaen. But this counts for no more in the eyes of posterity than the successes of a Thalberg have counted. Nor does this erase the fact that - outside of a handle of self blinding die-hards on low-circulation internet sites - enthousiasm for Shostakovich is fading - as enthousiasm for Menotti as faded - and as enthousiasm for Arvo Part will fade. Making it easy does not work over the only run that matters to serious, self-respecting artists - the long run that is.

The Lisa Batiashvilli CD included in those photos has got to be the single most awful CD I have bought in years; in fact it is the worst CD I have bought since the Credo CD also involving Arvo Part: why must Salonen so often be involved with the worst the recording industry has to offer these days? What kind of public does he expect to attract with low-quality CD's like that? Is it worth it?

The most striking thing is that you think that this statement, for which you have provided no quantitative evidence at all, would convince anyone of anything.  In 1970 it was a milestone that the Berlin Philharmonic had recorded a Shostakovich symphony.  Today we have a dozen different symphony cycles to choose from with more in progress, and at least a dozen string quartet cycles.  How is that consistent with interest "fading?"

bhodges

Yes, I see no evidence of "fading," either. If anything, performances of his works are only increasing, as are recordings. Even if I wanted to listen to nothing but Shostakovich, I doubt I could get around to hearing all the CDs currently available--never mind ones that you could find out of print from say, the last five years or so.

--Bruce

Bulldog

Quote from: toucan on April 22, 2011, 11:03:05 AM
There are more mediocrities out there then there are quality people; therefore simple-minded second rates like Shostakovich get more recordings in the short run than great composers like Boulez or Lutoslawski or Dutilleux or Messiaen. But this counts for no more in the eyes of posterity than the successes of a Thalberg have counted. Nor does this erase the fact that - outside of a handle of self blinding die-hards on low-circulation internet sites - enthousiasm for Shostakovich is fading -

You keep saying that Shostakovich is fading but offer no evidence to support your premise.  It's just wishful thinking on your part, and it would be a good idea for you to stop acting the fool.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bulldog on April 22, 2011, 12:14:38 PM
...it would be a good idea for you to stop acting the fool.

Toucan seems intent on proving he has a bird brain  ;D

Quote from: Brewski on April 22, 2011, 11:44:21 AM
Yes, I see no evidence of "fading," either. If anything, performances of his works are only increasing...

In my area too I've noticed an increase in performances, orchestral and chamber. The Mandelring Quartet's recent cycle, for example

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 22, 2011, 12:20:08 PM
Toucan seems intent on proving he has a bird brain  ;D

In another thread he points out that the credibility of his statements is bolstered by the fact that he has three Masters degrees and two PhDs.   ???

bhodges

...and in a few weeks I'm hearing Alan (toledobass) in the Toledo Symphony Orchestra do the Sixth Symphony at Carnegie--can't wait for that.

--Bruce

Philoctetes

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 22, 2011, 12:22:14 PM
In another thread he points out that the credibility of his statements is bolstered by the fact that he has three Masters degrees and two PhDs.   ???

Not to question, but honestly... Nigga, please?!

Drasko

Quote from: Brewski on April 22, 2011, 12:24:04 PM
...and in a few weeks I'm hearing Alan (toledobass) in the Toledo Symphony Orchestra do the Sixth Symphony at Carnegie--can't wait for that.

--Bruce

.... while week ago Riccardo Muti (hardly a Shostakovich partisan) brought the Chicago Symphony to Carnegie Hall with guess what - Shostakovich 5th.

Since I can't see any decrease in recordings and concert programming and Toucan isn't offering anything to back his claim I'd guess that his intentions lay elsewhere. Maybe in starting the very trend, if he posts about Shostakovich's fading at enough forums, blogs, newsgroups, someone is going to google it, take it as information rather than opinion and transmit it further .... and in few years who knows what can snowball out of it.  8) 

bhodges

Quote from: Drasko on April 22, 2011, 12:45:20 PM
.... while week ago Riccardo Muti (hardly a Shostakovich partisan) brought the Chicago Symphony to Carnegie Hall with guess what - Shostakovich 5th.

Forgot to mention that (and I was at that concert). But you're absolutely right: Muti isn't exactly "Mr. DSCH," so for him to do that piece says something.

--Bruce

Luke

Quote from: Drasko on April 22, 2011, 12:45:20 PM
Since I can't see any decrease in recordings and concert programming and Toucan isn't offering anything to back his claim I'd guess that his intentions lay elsewhere. Maybe in starting the very trend, if he posts about Shostakovich's fading at enough forums, blogs, newsgroups, someone is going to google it, take it as information rather than opinion and transmit it further .... and in few years who knows what can snowball out of it.  8)

It's not working yet, anyway. Put 'Shostakovich fading popularity' into google and you get this thread, first, with, as the quoted text, someone-or-other's complete rejection of Toucan's proposition, and then, after that, a bunch of pages discussing the extraordinary rise in the popularity of his music.

Anyway, I can't for the life of me imagine why Toucan play at that game   ;D  ;D

Two-Tone

As nasty as soviet bureaucrats, the pro-shosty lynch mob. Makes sense. I will give up all my recordings of Shostakovich for one song by Gustav Mahler I do not care which one.

Scarpia

Quote from: Two-Tone on April 22, 2011, 01:36:14 PM
As nasty as soviet bureaucrats, the pro-shosty lynch mob. Makes sense. I will give up all my recordings of Shostakovich for one song by Gustav Mahler I do not care which one.

Why give them up.  Sell them on e-bay and make a bundle.  Demand appears to be high!  :)

Two-Tone

hmmm, wonderful idea. hoard them now before interest wanes, lol.

Scarpia

Quote from: Two-Tone on April 22, 2011, 02:02:14 PM

You've got a lot to learn about finance.

Brian

Quote from: Brewski on April 22, 2011, 12:24:04 PM

--Bruce

Oh, man! The Sixth live was the first Shostakovich I ever heard - I was something like 16 and even then I knew something was up. Haven't seen it done live since, but would absolutely die to.

Quote from: Philoctetes on April 22, 2011, 12:33:08 PM
Not to question, but honestly... Nigga, please?!

I feel guilty about how loudly I laughed at this.

Brian

Quote from: Two-Tone on April 22, 2011, 02:02:14 PM

My best friend and I are 21 and we plan on being avid Shostakovich lovers for 60+ years. Your retirement plan is safe.