Started by toucan, April 21, 2011, 04:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: toucan on February 18, 2012, 03:20:48 AM
That's all too true. That's because of the laziness of that segment of the public who stick to second-rates like Dmitri Shostakovich...

Sounds like somebody still can't stand it that they're dead wrong about Shostakovich. He's far from second-rate. He was a composer of the highest order. One of the most naturally gifted composers this world has ever seen.

He will continue to be popular because his music touches people. I have nine Shostakovich symphony cycles. Popluarlity fading? I think not! Shostakovich's popularity isn't fading just because you, Toucan, say it is.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on February 18, 2012, 06:50:47 AM
Shostakovich isn't a good composer because that guy on that internet forum said he isn't. So, I guess my taste is wrong. Thanks for correcting my taste. Oh yeah, could that guy tell me which composers I should and shouldn't like so I know how to have correct taste in the future?

:P

Karl Henning

Is Shostakovich fading?

I suspect not. The Boston Symphony are playing the Fifth Symphony tonight.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Szykneij

Quote from: karlhenning on February 18, 2012, 09:59:22 AM
Is Shostakovich fading?

... and just before I read that I was playing a recording of his Trio in e Minor, which does sort of fade at the end with pizzicato notes in the violin and cello part.  Is that what the thread title is about?   0:)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Szykneij on February 18, 2012, 10:26:52 AM
... and just before I read that I was playing a recording of his Trio in e Minor, which does sort of fade at the end with pizzicato notes in the violin and cello part.  Is that what the thread title is about?   0:)

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 15, 2011, 05:47:46 AM
Yes, Shostakovich's music is fading...for example the mysterious beauty of the final chord fading into silence in his symphony No.15, or the wonderful fading piano and viola in the Viola Sonata...
;)

;D

Geo Dude

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2012, 07:06:50 PM
Sorry to dig up this older thread, but it still makes me laugh. :D

You may as well enjoy the laughs.  It's quite clear at this point that Toucan has reduced himself to mere trolling.

DavidW

We should move on and use this thread to celebrate Shostakovich, turning the thread on it's head! :)

I'm going to be making a Shostakovich purchase very soon, love the conductor (Petrenko), and love the 8th symphony:

[asin]B003DQWPEM[/asin]

PaulR

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 08:39:00 PM
We should move on and use this thread to celebrate Shostakovich, turning the thread on it's head! :)

I'm going to be making a Shostakovich purchase very soon, love the conductor (Petrenko), and love the 8th symphony:
>

Great recording of a great symphony, that's for sure.

I saw he made a recording of Fleishmann's Rothchild's Violin and Shostakovich's "The Gamblers". 

Szykneij

Quote from: Szykneij on February 18, 2012, 10:26:52 AM

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 15, 2011, 05:47:46 AM
Yes, Shostakovich's music is fading...for example the mysterious beauty of the final chord fading into silence in his symphony No.15, or the wonderful fading piano and viola in the Viola Sonata...
;)

;D   ;D

Hmmm ... perhaps there's more to this fading issue than meets the eye!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

PaulR

I can't believe people are forgetting the fading of the ending of the 4th symphony!

DavidW

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on February 18, 2012, 09:59:22 AM
Is Shostakovich fading?

Who is conducting Mr. Henning?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on February 18, 2012, 04:10:19 PM
You may as well enjoy the laughs.  It's quite clear at this point that Toucan has reduced himself to mere trolling.

Yes, you're right, but I agree with Dave. We should use this thread to celebrate Shostakovich instead of being concerned with the OP's original topic of discussion, which was nothing more than an opinion of ignorance and indifference.

starrynight

There a few points I'd like to make on this thread.

One is that Shostakovich obviously deserves some respect, just about any composer does really.  And it is possible to appreciate some of his music even if you don't love his music like some.  Then again just because someone loves his music doesn't mean that someone else has to, not everybody is the same as you and you have to accept that.

Secondly though it's interesting that those who say they really aren't concerned about someone not liking his music that much are actually showing quite a lot of concern bumping up an old thread.  They actually seem as concerned about his prestige as the person posting the thread in the first place, it's just they have a different opinion on it.

So ultimately is this thread about the music or is it just something that people want to turn into a flippant battle between someone who likes it or doesn't like it?  More the second I suspect.

knight66

I think this often revolves around the old mindsets of; I like it = great / I don't like it = rubbish.

I am not too keen on quite a chunk of his compositions: but I am happy to believe he falls into the 'great' category. I don't like sushi, but that does not mean it is somehow defective as food.

The problems in these threads are when there is a claim that some well renowned composer is defective, claimed usually on the say so of someone who provides no evidence beyond opinion. Then the threads spiral down and become personalised.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 18, 2012, 07:04:40 PM
Yes, you're right, but I agree with Dave. We should use this thread to celebrate Shostakovich instead of being concerned with the OP's original topic of discussion, which was nothing more than an opinion of ignorance and indifference.

Well, I considered the possibility of turning the thread into a discussion of "Is Toucan Fading?" but this seems a more productive area of discussion. :P

By and large I have no interest in 20th century 'modernist' composers -- there's nothing wrong with them, of course, the musical language simply doesn't appeal to me.  (There are a few exceptions, though.)  In spite of this, and in spite of the sales I've made of 20th century classical music that I loved when I was a teenager (Ligeti, Bartok, etc.) I will never under any circumstances let go of my cycle of Shostakovitch's string quartets (Fitzwilliam quartet).  Those quartets touch a place -- for better or worse, as that place can often lead to serious depression -- that very few other pieces of music can.  Shostakovitch does indeed touch people.  Even young men with the soul of an old fogey such as myself who have conservative tastes. ;D

DavidW

Quote from: knight66 on February 19, 2012, 01:46:35 AM
I don't like sushi, but that does not mean it is somehow defective as food.

I can't believe you don't like sushi!  I love it!  The problem is that good sushi is pricey.

PaulR

Quote from: DavidW on February 19, 2012, 05:28:36 AM
I can't believe you don't like sushi!  I love it!  The problem is that good sushi is pricey.
I love sushi, but somehow, I don't trust the sushi at Kroger here in Bowling Green. (Most likely, I am crazy)

DavidW

Quote from: paulrbass on February 19, 2012, 05:33:06 AM
I love sushi, but somehow, I don't trust the sushi at Kroger here in Bowling Green. (Most likely, I am crazy)

If it's the imitation crab meat stuff, you won't get sick off of California rolls. Salmon makes for a great roll, and is easy to find fresh. :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Velimir on April 21, 2011, 05:56:21 AM
Perhaps "toucan" himself is fading?

Very perceptive. In fact, he's faded away completely  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"