Music Appreciation - Teaching Company & Other Options?

Started by SonicMan46, April 09, 2007, 07:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne

Quote from: Grazioso on July 07, 2007, 03:58:50 AM
Free and filled with interesting, educational info:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/discoveringmusic/audioarchive.shtml

Hi Grazioso,

Thanks very much for that URL.  It looks to be helpful.  I appreciate your suggestion and will use it.

Anne

SonicMan46

Well, I've been 'warned' not to post to this thread - thought that this might have been a repository of 'materials' (whether books, videos, DVDs, etc.) related to learning about music (classical or non-classical); tonight, I'm watching a Teaching Company history of art series (not really applicable) - but just wondering if anyone might add to this thread, mainly as a 'source' for being educated about music, regardless of the media -  :D

My most recent 'musical' addition would be The New Bach Reader (1999) - not really a typical bio - reported on this book in the 'reading thread' but had basically no response, so thought that I put the reference here also!  :)

At any rate, if you've found new musical educational sources (that do not fit neatly into our other threads), please report them here - would nice to have a list of posts that may help others just getting interest music; again, classical or non-classical comments accepted - thanks.  :D

ChamberNut

Tonight I have my first of five Music Appreciation classes for "Best of Friends: Brahms & Dvorak" at the Manitoba Conservatory of Music.

Very much looking forward to it!

:)

stingo

I'm not sure if this quite fits but... if you attend concerts you might want to see if there's some kind of talk or lecture beforehand about the music you'll be hearing. Philadelphia now does this on a regular basis, and I find it informative.

ChamberNut

Quote from: stingo on April 23, 2008, 07:14:27 AM
I'm not sure if this quite fits but... if you attend concerts you might want to see if there's some kind of talk or lecture beforehand about the music you'll be hearing. Philadelphia now does this on a regular basis, and I find it informative.

Yes, our conductor does this also for our city's orchestra, for the Masterworks programs.

some guy

Music appreciation. Yes. That explains a lot. This constant pull away from the music itself into biography or even form (look at zamyrabyrd's post for a hint about how studying form can pull you away from the music itself)--that may be why so many people have so much trouble with music past 1909, say. The music appreciation books, CDs, DVDs, et cetera, don't really go much into the twentieth century, not in any very real or systematic way. Plus they instill ideas and attitudes about music that make certain historical practices seem more like THE TRUTH than like simply what people did then. Simplifies and codifies tonality and its patterns into "this is the only way to make music that's of any value."

Reminds me of my last boss where I worked as a rewrite editor for software developers. He had very strong opinions about writing and language, almost all of them wrong, almost all of them straight from third grade. Oh the perils of education, eh? If the teacher, whatever the subject, is trying to teach you how to think, all will be well. But if the purpose is to fill your supposedly empty brain with knowledge and the correct opinions, then "LOOK OUT!! DANGER!!!"

I've been listening to music for about fifty two or fifty three years, Forty nine of those to classical, mainly. (Whatever "classical" means.) I have Gregorian chant and Diamanda Galas in my collection. I enjoy Zbigniew Karkowski's abrasive electronics and Antonio Vivaldi's sacred choral music. I listen with delight and intelligence (according to me, anyway) to My Cat is an Alien and to Bach's St. Matthew Passion. And everything (meaning quite a lot of things) in between.

That's just my short vita for giving you some advice about music. You may prefer Greenberg still, but here's mine:

LISTEN.

some guy

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 23, 2008, 10:26:57 AM
So, I like Brahms' & Dvorak's music, what's the big deal?

If I would have said I'm taking the music appreciation class "Adams & Golijov:  Best of Friends", you wouldn't have an isssue.

::)

Not sure what you're on about here, ChamberNut. Did I ever suggest or hint or indicate that liking Brahms and Dvorak was a bad thing? Or even a good thing?

My observation was entirely about formalized music appreciation, that it perhaps has interfered with appreciation more than it has fostered it; that it has perhaps fostered the attitude that "modern" music is difficult at best, pernicious at worst. So probably more accurate to say that I would have "an isssue" with any music appreciation class. (Why Adams and Golijov, by the way? I know they're pretty famous, but that's about it.)

I thought that Bernstein's early shows for kids were pretty good. He was so obviously enthusiastic about the music. So much so, that it was a bit of a shock to hear him pronounce against atonality later on. (That that pronouncement came decades after "atonality" had ceased to be an active topic among musicians did nothing really to soften the shock, either.)

hornteacher

Well I came into this thread a bit late, but I order from the Teaching Company all the time.  I'm half way through the "Beethoven Symphonies" course and am just soaking up knowledge.  I've gone through two pencils just marking my scores.

Next up is the lectures on Mozart Operas.

ChamberNut

Quote from: some guy on April 23, 2008, 12:42:56 PM
Not sure what you're on about here, ChamberNut. Did I ever suggest or hint or indicate that liking Brahms and Dvorak was a bad thing? Or even a good thing?

My observation was entirely about formalized music appreciation, that it perhaps has interfered with appreciation more than it has fostered it; that it has perhaps fostered the attitude that "modern" music is difficult at best, pernicious at worst. So probably more accurate to say that I would have "an isssue" with any music appreciation class. (Why Adams and Golijov, by the way? I know they're pretty famous, but that's about it.)

I thought that Bernstein's early shows for kids were pretty good. He was so obviously enthusiastic about the music. So much so, that it was a bit of a shock to hear him pronounce against atonality later on. (That that pronouncement came decades after "atonality" had ceased to be an active topic among musicians did nothing really to soften the shock, either.)

Fine, I deleted that post.

SonicMan46

Well, TTT again!  ;D  No posts for a year - please contribute - just nice to have a good 'collection' of recommendations, regardless of the media (i.e. DVDs, books, websites, etc.) that might relate to musical appreciation.  :)

But, this time a new book edition - A History of Western Music, 8th edition (2010) - this is my third purchase of this volume (last one was the 4th edition, 20 yrs ago!) - Donald Grout & Calude Palisca are now deceased; J. Peter Burkholder from Indiana University is the current 'living' author; from Norton, so not cheap ($50 for me on the Amazon Marketplace) + basically, a college type textbook - love the new format w/ plenty of pictures, sidebars, and other features common to more modern texts; plus, Norton has a website w/ plenty of information related to the book (I've not yet explored all of these possibilities) - just through the first 2 chapters, but expect to enjoy!  :D

ChamberNut

A 6 class music appreciation class, starting tonight entitled "The Heart of Tchaikovsky".

Looking forward to it!  :)

Szykneij

Quote from: SonicMan on April 04, 2009, 03:33:59 PM

:o

It's a terrific reference work and a valuable book to have on the shelf, but way too dry for me to be enjoyable reading.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

SonicMan46

Quote from: Szykniej on September 14, 2009, 05:16:26 PM
:o

It's a terrific reference work and a valuable book to have on the shelf, but way too dry for me to be enjoyable reading.

Tony - LOL!  ;D  Took me MONTHS to get through this 'new' edition; this is a college text and would likely encompass two courses, so a long read and indeed can be somewhat 'dry'; but there is such a wealth of information and the new volume is beautifully produced in terms of format & pictures; there was access also to a lot of 'online' material which I did not do - not sure a recommendation for a casual reader or one wanting an 'easy' introduction to Western Music - Dave  :)

Szykneij

Quote from: SonicMan on September 14, 2009, 05:27:09 PM
Tony - LOL!  ;D  Took me MONTHS to get through this 'new' edition; this is a college text and would likely encompass two courses, so a long read and indeed can be somewhat 'dry'; but there is such a wealth of information and the new volume is beautifully produced in terms of format & pictures; there was access also to a lot of 'online' material which I did not do - not sure a recommendation for a casual reader or one wanting an 'easy' introduction to Western Music - Dave  :)

:)

It was my freshman college music history textbook, and 30 years later I still have Groutmares!   ;D

My copy has so much highlighting, it looks like there are spots of white on yellow pages.   ;)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

PerfectWagnerite

Lately I have been trying to read Rosen's The Classical Style. I find it extremely difficult to get through.

SonicMan46

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 15, 2009, 05:48:08 AM
Lately I have been trying to read Rosen's The Classical Style. I find it extremely difficult to get through.

Well, a 6-month or so delay, but I agree w/ you concerning the Rosen book - believe that I've bought this as a paperback at least twice and could never finish getting through it!  I'm thinking of getting the book a third time since mention has been made in some of the classical threads, but I'm sure the same will happen -  :-\

For me, a 'new' Teaching Company set (pic attached) - Bach & High Baroque w/ Robert Greenberg - just finishing up the first 2 DVDs (8 discs in all!) - now, Susan & I have purchased many of this company's products (of all different topics) - this one is probably from the mid-90s (Greenberg still had dark hair and was using those yellow note pads), but is just excellent so far!  :)

hornteacher

Quote from: SonicMan on May 09, 2010, 03:07:26 PM
For me, a 'new' Teaching Company set (pic attached) - Bach & High Baroque w/ Robert Greenberg - just finishing up the first 2 DVDs (8 discs in all!) - now, Susan & I have purchased many of this company's products (of all different topics) - this one is probably from the mid-90s (Greenberg still had dark hair and was using those yellow note pads), but is just excellent so far!  :)

I have it and listen to it often.  The analysis of the Goldberg Variations is fantastic as are the Brandenburg lectures.  Well, they're all good.  I havent had a bad course yet from Dr. Greenberg.  Working my way through the LvB String Quartet lectures now.

SonicMan46

Quote from: hornteacher on May 09, 2010, 05:41:57 PM
I have it and listen to it often.  The analysis of the Goldberg Variations is fantastic as are the Brandenburg lectures.  Well, they're all good.  I havent had a bad course yet from Dr. Greenberg.  Working my way through the LvB String Quartet lectures now.

Yes, I'm thinking about that LvB SQ set next - now have two complete sets of these works, one w/ the Alexander SQ (new one) which I believe Greenberg uses in this course; apparently they have been working together since the 1980s or so?   :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on May 09, 2010, 03:07:26 PM
Well, a 6-month or so delay, but I agree w/ you concerning the Rosen book - believe that I've bought this as a paperback at least twice and could never finish getting through it!  I'm thinking of getting the book a third time since mention has been made in some of the classical threads, but I'm sure the same will happen -  :-\

All I can say is that it's worth the time and effort, Dave. It utterly transformed the way I thought about and listened to music of the Classical era. I agree, it isn't an easy read for us musical amateurs. It helped that I read it shortly after I'd taken a music theory class at the U of Akron. At least I knew what a diminished seventh was  ;D

But I understand your hesitation, and share it. I have a first edition of Rosen's The Romantic Generation. Bought it when it was first published--14 years ago. I haven't even started it. I should take my own advice and get cracking.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 10, 2010, 04:45:05 AM
All I can say is that it's worth the time and effort, Dave. It utterly transformed the way I thought about and listened to music of the Classical era. I agree, it isn't an easy read for us musical amateurs. It helped that I read it shortly after I'd taken a music theory class at the U of Akron. At least I knew what a diminished seventh was  ;D

But I understand your hesitation, and share it. I have a first edition of Rosen's The Romantic Generation. Bought it when it was first published--14 years ago. I haven't even started it. I should take my own advice and get cracking.

Hello Sarge - yep, I've been contemplating getting another copy of the Rosen book for the 3rd time!  :D

Although the Greenberg Beethoven SQs Set lasts about twice as long as the actual performance of the works, I've really enjoyed him in a number of other courses (including the Bach that I'm currently viewing on DVD) - will likely make a purchase! Dave  :)