Started by karlhenning, June 27, 2007, 07:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Zero comments.

I guess nobody gives a hoot.

karlhenning

71 dB

Does this thread have a point?  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: 71 dB on June 27, 2007, 08:10:06 AM
Does this thread have a point?  ???

Much like your posts, the answer is emphatically no.

71 dB

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 27, 2007, 08:14:07 AM
Much like your posts, the answer is emphatically no.

So, you think karlhenning has become another me?

Montpellier

Quote from: karlhenning on June 27, 2007, 07:31:30 AM
I feel your pain.

Don't mention pain or is it payne, the guy who against Elgar's own wishes tampered with the sketches of the 3rd Symphony.   Intolerable that, and he went on to make up a piano concerto that doesn't even sound like Elgar!

71 dB

Quote from: Anancho on June 27, 2007, 09:05:24 AM
Don't mention pain or is it payne, the guy who against Elgar's own wishes tampered with the sketches of the 3rd Symphony.   Intolerable that, and he went on to make up a piano concerto that doesn't even sound like Elgar!

You don't need to listen to those works if find them "intolerable". I enjoy Payne's elaboration of the third symphony, against Elgar's own wishes or not. The Piano Concerto (Not by Anthony Payne but Robert Walker!) sounds pretty Elgarian to me (noticed that it's 30's Elgar).

karlhenning

Quote from: 71 dB on June 27, 2007, 08:18:53 AM
So, you think karlhenning has become another me?

What a peculiar notion.

Bonehelm

People don't need to be so disgusted by any thread/post about Elgar...I mean, he's an accomplished composer and he does have memorable works..if you don't like him you don't need to derail the thread about him..you can just ignore it. Don't ruin it for the others who are a fan of Elgar.

However, I do understand how discussion about Elgar is related to pointlessness sometimes... 8)

karlhenning

Quote from: Bonehelm on June 27, 2007, 10:34:14 AM
However, I do understand how discussion about Elgar is related to pointlessness sometimes... 8)

I worry that 71 dB thinks the thread is pointless . . . .

Boris_G

Well I say 'hurrah' for Edu. Here's a list of works I feel all the better for knowing:

Introduction and Allegro for Strings
Serenade for Strings
Nursery Suite
Symphony No. 1
Symphony No. 2
Cello Concerto
Sospiri (Barbirolli's recording especially wonderful)
Dream Children
'Intermezzo' (touching, restrained piece for violin solo and orchestra, composed to be part of Crown of India Suite, which is probably why it's a much deeper work than the movements in which it is embedded).

Many other pieces I enjoy listening to from time to time. Elgar's an undying favourite for me.

lukeottevanger

Happy 150th to this most controversial of composers.

???

karlhenning

I wonder if we can expect any more world premieres, past the curio, The Smoking Cantata (the one short number of it).

bwv 1080

But did Elgar really write the music that was attributed to him, or was it someone else....

karlhenning

Man, I didn't even want to go there . . . .

karlhenning

Quote from: Boris_G on June 27, 2007, 12:10:13 PM
Well I say 'hurrah' for Edu. Here's a list of works I feel all the better for knowing:

Introduction and Allegro for Strings
Serenade for Strings
Nursery Suite
Symphony No. 1
Symphony No. 2
Cello Concerto
Sospiri (Barbirolli's recording especially wonderful)
Dream Children
'Intermezzo' (touching, restrained piece for violin solo and orchestra, composed to be part of Crown of India Suite, which is probably why it's a much deeper work than the movements in which it is embedded).

Many other pieces I enjoy listening to from time to time. Elgar's an undying favourite for me.

What, no Falstaff?

And, Boris, you forgot to factor in a sense of humor. Easy, fella!

Boris_G

Quote from: karlhenning on June 27, 2007, 12:38:16 PM
What, no Falstaff?

And, Boris, you forgot to factor in a sense of humor. Easy, fella!

Hi Karl, sorry if I suffered a sense of humour drop-out, but I get riled by lazily Anglophobe statements. Too often they're a cheap way of making whoever's making them feel superior when it just makes them appear (or even perhaps shows them) to be an ignorant schmuck IMHO.

And yes, I do enjoy listening to Falstaff from time to time: btw it includes some extraordinary moments which, I think, John Williams clearly lifted for some of his more 'exotic' moments in (for instance) the Indiana Jones movies. I enjoy the work, but it doesn't quite make the list of my all-time favs.

karlhenning

Understood.  In context, though, that post was more Finnophobe, I think  8)

I'm also shocked that your list does not include the Violin Sonata!  That piece alone would qualify Elgar for greatness.