Composers on GMG - Who's currently hot....and who's not?

Started by Brahmsian, April 25, 2011, 07:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

I had a go a couple of days ago. About five posts on the cackling,I mean Koechlin thread,in a row. I think I just sent everyone off to sleep. Although posting at the weekend probably didn't help. (Don't tell me Sky Sport is more interesting than Koechlin? How dare you!.............is it?!)
Now then,what was it I was just saying about 'Les Chants de Nectaire'?.............
Oops,wrong thread!

NB: Now I know how to keep a Tournemire thread going. Just keep posting!

NB2: MI's the real Koechlin expert,I'm just impersonating him!

Yours Sincerely
                                                                                Mirror Image
                                                                                (the other one)

madaboutmahler

Certainly noticed much mention of Ives probably due to the new disc of the violin sonatas Hahn has just made. I am still yet to fully appreciate/enjoy his music, so maybe I should get this disc to try with his music once more....

Also, due to the enthusiasm of various members - including MI and myself, Prokofiev certainly is getting many mentions!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

cilgwyn

And deservedly so. For such a high profile,aknowledged great,there's so much of his output that seems undeservedly underrated,or even,neglected.
Keep the recommendations up.

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 21, 2011, 12:26:56 PM
Certainly noticed much mention of Ives probably due to the new disc of the violin sonatas Hahn has just made. I am still yet to fully appreciate/enjoy his music, so maybe I should get this disc to try with his music once more....

Also, due to the enthusiasm of various members - including MI and myself, Prokofiev certainly is getting many mentions!

Give it a go Daniel.  I, myself, am not very familiar with Ives' music.  Yet this Hahn CD of his violin sonatas is so beautiful.  I can almost 100% guarantee you will enjoy it!  :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 21, 2011, 01:26:39 PM
Give it a go Daniel.  I, myself, am not very familiar with Ives' music.  Yet this Hahn CD of his violin sonatas is so beautiful.  I can almost 100% guarantee you will enjoy it!  :)

Will do Ray! :) If I enjoy this Hahn disc then I might try and explore more into his music. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 21, 2011, 12:26:56 PM

If you haven't already, I would seriously read up on Ives's biography. This will hopefully give you a better understanding of where he was coming from in his music. He was completely ahead of his time, but he never severed ties with the past like many composers have tried to do. There is a lyrical warmth that runs deeply through so much of his music. Have you heard Symphony No. 3 "The Camp Meeting"? This may be a good place to start exploring his orchestral music.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

PaulSC

Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

DieNacht

Dorokhov is so hot that nobody even dared to engage in a discussion about him ! :o 

Jared

Quote from: PaulSC on December 22, 2011, 11:51:15 AM
The heat's always on in Haydn's Haus!

yes, he's had quite a night tonight, hasn't he?  8)

snyprrr

Yea, every day,... it's Haydn, Brian, Mahler. Haydn, Brian, Mahler,...AHHH!!!

Brahmsian

Just resurrecting my old thread from way back!

It is obvious as to who's particularly hot right now on GMG:

Myaskovsky
Messiaen

steve ridgway

Good idea, it's an interesting read. I've noticed someone's enthusiasm occasionally spread to a number of other members and have picked up on a few composers from it, so it's been quite beneficial. :)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 03, 2021, 08:56:10 AM
Good idea, it's an interesting read. I've noticed someone's enthusiasm occasionally spread to a number of other members and have picked up on a few composers from it, so it's been quite beneficial. :)

Luckily I've had both my vaccines against pernicious enthusisam so it has not spread here  ;)

Maestro267

At the moment, I can't see any evidence of Messiaen being "hot". For me, if a composer is "hot" on the forum, their thread would be regularly on the first page of Composer Discussion for a little while, like maybe a week or so.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 03, 2021, 10:50:52 PM
Luckily I've had both my vaccines against pernicious enthusisam so it has not spread here  ;)
;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 03, 2021, 11:57:13 PM
At the moment, I can't see any evidence of Messiaen being "hot". For me, if a composer is "hot" on the forum, their thread would be regularly on the first page of Composer Discussion for a little while, like maybe a week or so.

Messiaen is dominating the "What are you listening to now" thread.  Has been for the last couple of weeks (along with Miaskovsky), which is why I mentioned him.

Irons

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 04, 2021, 07:06:48 AM
Messiaen is dominating the "What are you listening to now" thread.  Has been for the last couple of weeks (along with Miaskovsky), which is why I mentioned him.

I have noticed Messiaen cropping up quite a bit. I'm often inspired to listen to a work or composer after reading posts on GMG but if a composer is "hot" I tend not to get on the bandwagon.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

I never really follow who's 'hot' and who's 'not' on GMG. We're all on separate paths as listeners.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2021, 08:47:32 AM
I never really follow who's 'hot' and who's 'not' on GMG. We're all on separate paths as listeners.

Yes. Hardly anyone shares my music taste. I have learned the more I follow the paths shown by my own instinct the better I do.  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"